Do Aussies hate Asian people?

chaseyoung

3 hours ago, sharonp53 said:

Please understand that my reply is not designed to be rude, or nasty. You asked a question and ai want to give you an honest answer.

First thing is that Australia is currently a very different place than the country I knew back in the 80s. It is currently a very divided society and one that looks readily for scapegoats. It is not a comfortable place to be different. Hanson is a symbol of what is wrong. The government is very pro-China, which while the focus is on a different group is fine. But nothing lasts, and Hanson is a symptom of a wider discomfort in Australia and no ethnic or religious group is immune.

Having a family member who lives with Chinese-born person, I would say the real question is will you adapt to life in Australia?

The reason I ask this is based on personal observation rather than my own feelings. You see, this person told me, following a challenge in the relationship, that they hadn't been lying, just not reveling the truth, and that was their right, and culturally acceptable unless a person lies to a blood-relative.

Now, to an Australian that is is a problem. While we may choose to lie, it is with the clear understanding of the fact that it is not right. But it is also random and situation-based and not because one person is less worthy of the truth than another. This person had to learn the hard way why some Chinese people (with his attitude) find it hard to adapt.  I don't wish to suggest that all Chinese people are dishonest, just to use that as an example of different values.

I have lived in five different countries, one in Africa, three in Europe and the USA and often the values of the locals conflicted with my own. I had to learn quickly that I needed to respect the local ways, even where they conflicted with my own. That did not mean I accepted them, I just understood that I was living in their country and needed to respect their culture and rights. And, I learned that, where I behaved in a way they found unacceptable, that I needed to live with criticism and not to be too senstive.

The only other point I would make is for you to be aware that your government and businesses are not popular with many Australians due to the recent purchases of farms, resources and homes. So in some areas you may be seen as part of the reason young Australians cannot afford their own homes. Actually there are many reasons and most have to do with government decisions, but foreign investment is the easiest to focus on.

I will give you the same advice I would give any potential migrant, think carefully about your decsion. Visit Australia for an extended holiday and mix with the locals, avoid areas where Chinese people live and work and areas with high migrant populations. We are very direct, even blunt people. We do not like people that come here just for what they can get from our country. If you are a giving person, one who is willing to call this country home, particpate in the community, mix with us, live among us, apart from the odd unhappy encounter, you will be welcomed. But if you are coming here only for what you can get then please think again.

i wish you well with your decision making and if you do choose to make Australia home then I hope you will be very happy here.

Sharonp53, I really appriciate for your long reply. When I started this topic, I really wanna know true opinion from you guys. Your response is not rude at all. Thank you for your honest.

I guess maybe all immigrants to Australia hate Hanson, but it seems that a lot of local aussies hate her too. It shows that she only represent a small group of people. Mild racism is actually normal in all countries. This is a country with speech freedom. I can accept that and try to live with that as long as they don't hurt us physically.

According to what you've said, the most important thing for all immigrants from Asia or other part of the world is adaptation to life in Australia. I know some immis live in their own little world and refuse to embrace the life in Australia. Perhaps they are new here. They may have their own reasons. If a person is very shy and can't speak good English, he will have to cut off any connection to the society. However, what really matters is ATTITUDE. When he awares that he has some problems but refuse to learn or try to make it better, his attitude is bad and everyone would hate a person like him. The most important thing is what's inside, not his color. We can't change a person so quickly. We have to give them time. For me, since I choose to move here, I must do whatever I need to adapt to life here and respect everything here. Otherwise I don't need to move at all.

About the other point, I kind of know that many Australians don't like Chinese businesses because they bought too many farms and houses. As far as I know, I admit those companies are really rich as hell, but this time they actually are scapegoats. Recently a lot of Chinese businesses quit Australia market due to the insanely high taxes, but the price is still going up really fast. They invest because they like Australia. Actually most Chinese really like Australia and regard it as one of the most fascinating countries in the world. That's one of my reasons to move here and I like Australia since I was young. That's why I feel bad when I know many aussies are against China.

Thanks for your advice about thinking carefully. I've been thinking for a long time and made decision to move here one year ago. Now I have great confidence in myself and my family adapting well. We Chinese are also direct people, much directer than Japanese and Taiwanese. When I get my PR, I'll regard myself as a new Australian. I'm an outgoing guy and willing to make friends everywhere. People would like me. :D Thanks again mate. Sorry about my poor English writing skill. Hope you have a nice day.

Edited by chaseyoung
  • Like 5

• 11 months later...
It's the same for all immigrants - come, fit in, don't tell us how much better life is back where you came from, speak English and don't hang around with those of your own cultural group and all will be well. If you want to be Aussie, be Aussie, don't be Chinese first. Most Aussies couldn't give a toss about what colour you are, they're more concerned about what you do but they have a sense of humour which may well not be your sense of humour and you might take offence at something which is actually designed to be matey. If you don't feel comfortable then, of course, nobody is forcing you to stay.
'Don't be Chinese first' Did you seriously type this? Why shouldn't be her ethnicity first , Oz after? This is pathetic.
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Apollo said:
On 08/03/2017 at 19:34, Quoll said:
It's the same for all immigrants - come, fit in, don't tell us how much better life is back where you came from, speak English and don't hang around with those of your own cultural group and all will be well. If you want to be Aussie, be Aussie, don't be Chinese first. Most Aussies couldn't give a toss about what colour you are, they're more concerned about what you do but they have a sense of humour which may well not be your sense of humour and you might take offence at something which is actually designed to be matey. If you don't feel comfortable then, of course, nobody is forcing you to stay.

'Don't be Chinese first' Did you seriously type this? Why shouldn't be her ethnicity first , Oz after? This is pathetic.

Of course you have taken what Quoll meant the wrong way.  My son's partner is a lovely first generation Chinese girl.  She is a dinky di Aussie but respects her Chinese heritage.  Her family have always lived where other Aussies live and not where lots of Chinese families have chosen to live close to each other.  They have never had any problems whatsoever.

There are whole swathes of Sydney where groups of people from the Middle East and a few other places don't mix with other ethnic groups.  It's an unfortunate but harsh reality that some ethnic groups feel compelled to live in their own ethnic enclaves in order to feel at home.  Makes you wonder why they came here.   

• Like 3

Likings and disliking is every where in the world. The question arises, why some one wants to come to Australia. Is this the demand of Australian to accommodate the trade people of their choice or someone willing to come Australia for his own reason to move.

Every body expect some thing better for himself to migrate to Australia. You must know, how to get adjusted among the local people. You must know their culture, obviously English is their mother and official language, you must understand at least the. Basis of English so that you should communicate with each other. You have to know their customs. I have observed, Australian are very accommodative, very quite, full of humanity factors, helping attitude, I think they are very nice but let us say that you are sitting in a quite coach and you start talking in a very loud voice obviously no body will like it and it’s against the mannerisms. If you follow minor things according to local customs, I don’t think you will face any problem yet you can face an odd case. If you think it will be difficult for you to follow certain norms of service again the choice is yours to stay or go back. I think Australian government is spending a lot in educating the immigrant their language and customs. I hope don’t feel bad if you see some odd case. It is all over the world.

• Like 7

Every body expect some thing better for himself to migrate to Australia. You must know, how to get adjusted among the local people. You must know their culture, obviously English is their mother and official language, you must understand at least the. Basis of English so that you should communicate with each other. You have to know their customs. I have observed, Australian are very accommodative, very quite, full of humanity factors, helping attitude, I think they are very nice but let us say that you are sitting in a quite coach and you start talking in a very loud voice obviously no body will like it and it’s against the mannerisms. If you follow minor things according to local customs, I don’t think you will face any problem yet you can face an odd case. If you think it will be difficult for you to follow certain norms of service again the choice is yours to stay or go back. I think Australian government is spending a lot in educating the immigrant their language and customs. I hope don’t feel bad if you see some odd case. It is all over the world.

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

as a migrant with a different heritage i completely agree with what quoll said. when we arrived in uk my parents always reminded us kids that uk was our new home & we were British first. we still respected the heritage of our ancestors but that's different to seeing yourself as one thing while living somewhere else or putting your new home & society in second place.  if a person doesn't want to first be seen as a member of the society they are living in & a member of the society they left become second i question why they would move to begin with. 

oz is full of migrants who traditionally are ozzie first. it's what has allows people from so many different places to rub along so well together. there is a few exceptions & that's where there is usually problems.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Booma said:

as a migrant with a different heritage i completely agree with what quoll said. when we arrived in uk my parents always reminded us kids that uk was our new home & we were British first. we still respected the heritage of our ancestors but that's different to seeing yourself as one thing while living somewhere else or putting your new home & society in second place.  if a person doesn't want to first be seen as a member of the society they are living in & a member of the society they left become second i question why they would move to begin with. 

oz is full of migrants who traditionally are ozzie first. it's what has allows people from so many different places to rub along so well together. there is a few exceptions & that's where there is usually problems.

..................  and that's generally from people with a large chip on their shoulder no matter where they come from or what colour they are.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Toots said:

..................  and that's generally from people with a large chip on their shoulder no matter where they come from or what colour they are.

my father would go further & say that it's living that way that develops a chip on a shoulder if it wasn't there to start with.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Apollo said:
On 08/03/2017 at 08:34, Quoll said:

Yup, I seriously did type that. If she wants to be Chinese then stay in China. If she wants to be Aussie then come and be Aussie, embrace it! If her Chineseness interferes with her capacity to be an Aussie - like not learning the language, telling us how much better things are back in China, not mixing with other Aussies, only eating Chinese food etc then she’s not going to have a good Aussie time. I used to work with a bloke called Wong, he was as ocker as they came - no one even noticed that he was Chinese, surely that’s the aim in a big melting pot? Similarly, my Indian daughter in law doesn’t go on about her Indian heritage all the time, she’s a Londoner. My Anglo-Australian-Indian grandson celebrates Australia Day, Diwali, St George’s Day, St Patrick’s Day, St David’s day, Chinese New Year, Easter and April Fools Day and whatever other notable days crop up on the nursery calendar - join with the community you live in, doesn’t stop you being proud of who you are and your heritage (I’m proudly English, but in Australia I don’t bang on about it)

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

It’s reality 

Yup, I seriously did type that. If she wants to be Chinese then stay in China. If she wants to be Aussie then come and be Aussie, embrace it! If her Chineseness interferes with her capacity to be an Aussie - like not learning the language, telling us how much better things are back in China, not mixing with other Aussies, only eating Chinese food etc then she’s not going to have a good Aussie time. I used to work with a bloke called Wong, he was as ocker as they came - no one even noticed that he was Chinese, surely that’s the aim in a big melting pot? Similarly, my Indian daughter in law doesn’t go on about her Indian heritage all the time, she’s a Londoner. My Anglo-Australian-Indian grandson celebrates Australia Day, Diwali, St George’s Day, St Patrick’s Day, St David’s day, Chinese New Year, Easter and April Fools Day and whatever other notable days crop up on the nursery calendar - join with the community you live in, doesn’t stop you being proud of who you are and your heritage (I’m proudly English, but in Australia I don’t bang on about it)
One can still be Chinese, eat only Chinese food, not celebrate Australia day, not say 'good day mate' etc and still be happy to be in Oz.

This whole idea of assimilation is rather dictatorial. You can be English born and not celebrate St George's day (not many do anyway) and other made up holidays like Christmas, Halloween and others. There is a difference between integration and assimilation, and I believe in the former. You can't force a culture on a person that becomes meaningless. As long as the way you live doesn't interfere negatively on the society you live in then there is nothing wrong with it. This is different from someone who keeps banging on about how great their original home is. You don't have to agree with everything about a country to enjoy living there, people aren't a monolithic group by nature.

If I lived in the US I'd still hate guns, in Oz I'd still not celebrate so called Australia day, or here in England I don't really care for Christmas. Doesn't mean I hate the said countries but I just don't buy into the particular political stances I mentioned. It's about respecting differences something many people on this forum don't do. Someone mentioned above about 'wearing strange headscarves' what does that got to do with integrating with others? No one is forcing you to wear one!

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Of course you have taken what Quoll meant the wrong way.  My son's partner is a lovely first generation Chinese girl.  She is a dinky di Aussie but respects her Chinese heritage.  Her family have always lived where other Aussies live and not where lots of Chinese families have chosen to live close to each other.  They have never had any problems whatsoever.
There are whole swathes of Sydney where groups of people from the Middle East and a few other places don't mix with other ethnic groups.  It's an unfortunate but harsh reality that some ethnic groups feel compelled to live in their own ethnic enclaves in order to feel at home.  Makes you wonder why they came here.   
It's human nature to want to be around people who are as close culturally to you. Just like this site is for poms and not Bulgarians. Doesn't mean you don't like other groups of people.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Firstly, if you are thinking of emigrating, it's not easy to get in, so don't worry about things that may never affect you until you have made a decision to come and have a visa.

Personally I don't think Aussies hate anyone coming here as long as they make an attempt to integrate, not bring their problems with them. 

There are loads of poms (British people) and we cop a fair amount of banter from aussies but usually it's good natured and they expect the same back.

Don't be too thin skinned and take things personally would be good advice. I guess you could be like a lot of Asians though and live in some City where they have a China Town. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toots said:

You do like to split hairs Apollo.  I think you know very well what we are all getting at.  We are saying integration is the way to go.  What we are also saying is some migrants aren't interested in integrating.

And the ones who are not interested in integrating (regardless of ethnicity) are the ones who will struggle the most.  

• Like 3

Sorry there is lots of stuff posted in this thread which does not make sense. I don't even know people who are posting this stuff actually believe in it. Racism has nothing to do with whom you hang out with, basically that has 0 impact in fact. I know people who have been born and raised in Australia/America face racism, even though they behave and talk like the locals. I lived in the US for 14 years and being an Indian, even though I changed a little bit, I remained true to who I was prior to moving to the US. I did not change my accent, nor did I create some fake persona to mingle with the locals. I still had very little issues, the people who decide to the racist will do so even if you seamlessly fit in with the locals. No one can change who you are and people who have a problem with that with continue to do so in spite of your best efforts. To answer the question posted, I don't think Australia is any more racist than any country around the world. I have been working and living here for just over a year and I haven't faced much issues. Just be true to yourself and be friends with people you want to be friends with irrespective of who they are. Don't try to be someone you are not. For me assimilation means follow the laws of the land you live in, be a good citizen and contribute to the society as much as you can.

Edited by path2aus
  • Like 6

Please understand that my reply is not designed to be rude, or nasty. You asked a question and ai want to give you an honest answer.
First thing is that Australia is currently a very different place than the country I knew back in the 80s. It is currently a very divided society and one that looks readily for scapegoats. It is not a comfortable place to be different. Hanson is a symbol of what is wrong. The government is very pro-China, which while the focus is on a different group is fine. But nothing lasts, and Hanson is a symptom of a wider discomfort in Australia and no ethnic or religious group is immune.
Having a family member who lives with Chinese-born person, I would say the real question is will you adapt to life in Australia?
The reason I ask this is based on personal observation rather than my own feelings. You see, this person told me, following a challenge in the relationship, that they hadn't been lying, just not reveling the truth, and that was their right, and culturally acceptable unless a person lies to a blood-relative.
Now, to an Australian that is is a problem. While we may choose to lie, it is with the clear understanding of the fact that it is not right. But it is also random and situation-based and not because one person is less worthy of the truth than another. This person had to learn the hard way why some Chinese people (with his attitude) find it hard to adapt.  I don't wish to suggest that all Chinese people are dishonest, just to use that as an example of different values.
I have lived in five different countries, one in Africa, three in Europe and the USA and often the values of the locals conflicted with my own. I had to learn quickly that I needed to respect the local ways, even where they conflicted with my own. That did not mean I accepted them, I just understood that I was living in their country and needed to respect their culture and rights. And, I learned that, where I behaved in a way they found unacceptable, that I needed to live with criticism and not to be too senstive.
The only other point I would make is for you to be aware that your government and businesses are not popular with many Australians due to the recent purchases of farms, resources and homes. So in some areas you may be seen as part of the reason young Australians cannot afford their own homes. Actually there are many reasons and most have to do with government decisions, but foreign investment is the easiest to focus on.
I will give you the same advice I would give any potential migrant, think carefully about your decsion. Visit Australia for an extended holiday and mix with the locals, avoid areas where Chinese people live and work and areas with high migrant populations. We are very direct, even blunt people. We do not like people that come here just for what they can get from our country. If you are a giving person, one who is willing to call this country home, particpate in the community, mix with us, live among us, apart from the odd unhappy encounter, you will be welcomed. But if you are coming here only for what you can get then please think again.
i wish you well with your decision making and if you do choose to make Australia home then I hope you will be very happy here.

And presumably most of those who come here from else where, only get to benefit? They don’t pay taxes, contribute to the economy, provide a new generation of Australians via their children who work hard and continue to contribute to the social, cultural and economic fabric of this country?

Please define what you mean by those who come here who only come ‘for what they can get’?

As others have said, there are nasty/racist people everywhere and some of us do have the misfortune of having to encounter them. Thankfully most people aren’t like that though.

That being said, integration and assimilation into the new country is fine. Australia not to long ago celebrated the Chinese Lunar New Year - and in Sydney this was done in the mainstream - so it could be said that aspects of Chinese culture have been assimilated into Aussie culture also ( not just the other way round).

Having said that as an immigrant here myself from the UK (since last January), it takes time to get into the swing of things.

You will find things are different from what you are used to (if for me coming from the UK, similarly for you coming from China). You will miss home comforts initially, but what I found is - put yourself out there. Meet Australians from all backgrounds (not just those of Chinese ancestry), don’t wait for people to approach you - approach them. Join clubs and societies etc, that aren’t only based on your heritage.

When I first arrived I missed England terribly for about six-eight months. I joined a gym and it took me about three-four months to be accepted and join in the conversations with people etc and now we all get on and are friends.

The people who go to my gym are mixed - Australian, English, Chinese and Indian backgrounds. Some of them are new immigrants here too.

It’s daunting at first, and it may take time for the ice to melt beyond superficial greetings and general helpfulness- but stick at it and persevere and it will pay dividends.

I don’t think I will ever be 100% Aussie - my home country is Britain, but I have embraced Australia, and what it has to offer and contribute to its society and economy and will continue to do so.

I like the banter with Poms, and Aussies it’s a good conversation starter and breaks the ice - and I will always be me. If I’m not Aussie enough for some that’s to bad, but I will not take on a different persona either. I won’t compare what is different in the UK and Aus to the umpteenth detail because there is no point (they are different cultures), but I will note them. I won’t say one is superior over the other either, just different. I’ll embrace the difference and get on with it - it’s the best way to learn and integrate and get on with things, in general, I’ve found.