Opting out of the housing market

BadgerLady

That is actually really interesting. I'm travelling back to the UK in a few weeks and usually suffer really bad jet lag. 

So the melatonin tip is great - I'll look out for some tablets.

Yes, I use vaseline, Vicks vapour rub - put that all over, especially my chest and arms as well as a really good moisturiser or the nappy rash cream, Bepanthen. My skin gets so dry on these long haul trips. I do eat most of the onboard meals but leave the snacks and alcohol out. May have to cut back on those.

I don't eat anything on the stop-over, just drink water and do lots of walking around.

Unfortunately I don't get use of the airport lounges:(

1 hour ago, BadgerLady said:

Haha, you had no idea when you asked that question :-D

Dietary preparation

For 3-4 days before travel, start the 'jet lag diet':

• one day of 'feasting', eating 1.5 x the normal amount of food with high protein in the morning, high carbs at night...
  • ...followed by a day of 'fasting', i.e. the same thing but very small portions.

Travel Day should be a fasting day, where you avoid eating anything until breakfast time at the destination - then you have a good protein meal that triggers the digestive cycle.

Sleep control

Melatonin tablets are a relatively gentle way of triggering your body to fall asleep - unlike sleeping pills that force you into unconsciousness, these simply release a chemical that tells your brain it's night time, but doesn't keep you asleep / groggy.

Caffeine and alcohol are avoided, as both can mix up the cycle. Although if I'm travelling East and need to take a shorter sleep then a strong coffee before falling asleep will help me to wake up sooner.

I also have a Light Box that emits a strong blue light to keep me awake at the correct times. On arrival, if I start to feel the sleepies, I switch it on (it's rechargeable battery powered) and keep it in my peripheral vision for about 20 minutes. That creates natural seratonin.

Hydration

I take a little bag of Berocca tablets and Himalayan salts on the plane, and every couple of hours I drop both into a glass of water and drink it. I also have plain water in between. I carry a toiletry bag with Vaseline and E45 cream (under 100ml each!) - the Vaseline goes on my nostrils, in my ears and on my lips, while the E45 gets smeared on my face, hands and any exposed skin. Every few hours I'll notice that my skin feels dry again and top it all up.

Comfort

I've got a sturdy, blocky laptop bag that just about fits under the seat in front but can also be pulled out to use as a footrest. And I compress a full-size memory foam pillow to put in the laptop compartment (they're all air really!). From the window seat, I can then curl up with my feet up and be quite comfortable :-) Of course these days being a Platinum frequent flyer there's always the hope of a free upgrade...

Wow! and double wow! We just get onto local time as quick as possible, landing late afternoon/evening is best as then it is almost bedtime and one does not have to try and stay awake all day, taking a nap during the day would stuff it all up though.

Happy flying.

• Haha 1