Opting out of the housing market

BadgerLady

What do you do for work that you fly around Aus at short notice?  Seems crazy that you don't get a lot of notice to fly to the other side of the country.

Have you done the sums on how much airbnb rental will make the enterprise not worth it?  On an annual basis I'd imagine if you're only away for 3 months on work's ticket then it would be worth renting your own place.  I'm guessing you spend a lot more than that away from home though?

13 minutes ago, robfromdublin said:

What do you do for work that you fly around Aus at short notice?  Seems crazy that you don't get a lot of notice to fly to the other side of the country.

Have you done the sums on how much airbnb rental will make the enterprise not worth it?  On an annual basis I'd imagine if you're only away for 3 months on work's ticket then it would be worth renting your own place.  I'm guessing you spend a lot more than that away from home though?

I'm an innovation consultant. I work with different clients each time - I lead a team of researchers, business analysts and designers to solve the client's problems and work out their future strategies, and try to teach them a bit about bringing innovative mindsets into their everyday work. So yeah, it just depends on when that client signs the contract - they always want me to get started 'straight away'!

This financial year has worked out roughly like this:
Melbourne 5 months
Sydney (home) 4 months
Canberra 2 months
Perth 1 month

When I'm on a client project, I get my travel expenses paid for and I can also choose to claim a 'weekly allowance' instead of a hotel. So if I move into a low-cost Airbnb and claim the allowance I can sometimes make a little extra.

It's when I'm between client projects that I have to splash out... my rule is to always choose accommodation that's cheaper than my own home was. So my last flat was $515 per week rental (plus utilities), whereas my Airbnb room is $374 per week (including utilities). I'll always prefer a house sit if I can get one, but again I can't be sure where I need to be more than 1 week ahead, so opportunities are limited.

Edited by BadgerLady

Sounds interesting.  I can see the need to be on-site rather than external but it seems a difficult way to run a consultancy.  Do you ever have more than one project on the go at once?  What do you do between projects?

Yes that sounds sensible.  I suppose when your benchmark is Sydney rental prices then most other places are going to compare favourably!

Really interesting experiment anyway.  Good on you for thinking outside the box!

No, that's right - when I'm on a project I'm 100% dedicated to just that project. I'll almost always be based in the client's offices, decorating their walls with notes and maps, heading out to do research and coming back to run workshops. It's not the sort of thing you can dip in and out of :-P

Between projects I take a bit of a breather and look internally for ways to help my employer, such as by mentoring new graduates and career switchers. At the moment I'm creating some training materials that can be used by my global colleagues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottieGirl said:

I assume you work for one of the large consultancies and are well remunerated. With hindsight do you wish you had bought somewhere? Capital gains on a Sydney property would have outstripped costs in the last 2 years.

Not as well as my colleagues :-( Honestly, I could go back to London and claim a 40% pay rise immediately! Sigh.

It really hasn't been an option for me in the last couple of years. Even to buy a studio flat (which I'd have to do off-plan and I HATE modern flats) would have been a huge cost, and I've still got a house in Wales in negative equity!

Today I can truly call myself a Nomad :-D

Yesterday I checked out of my house-sit and drove to Canberra because, well, why not. I'd booked myself an Airbnb room but, as the day went on, I grew increasingly nervous that the host (who has 'instant booking') was non-responsive. Long story short, Airbnb refunded me in full and offered to help find an alternative, but the capital was pretty much booked out.

So instead I skimmed through my 'Camps 8' book and found a free rest stop on the Federal Highway just 18kms away. I did some grocery shopping, filled the fridge, unpacked the bedding and made the campervan really homey. Two other campers pulled up as well but they kept their distance.

I then had a message from my colleagues in the Canberra office that they wanted to have a team dinner in Braddon, so I drove back into the city for that before heading to my pit-stop 'home'.

This morning I thought I had it all worked out. I'd come in early (7:30am), nab a parking spot and then jump in the office showers to get changed before work. Great plan! Except I could get access to the building that early. So I instead sat in the van on a residential street, charging my phone and eating breakfast, then had a quick wipe-down and change. Think I got away with it...

Just now, BrownEyedGal said:

What make of campervan do you have - reading your daily updates, I imagine its fairly robust?

A 1990 diesel Nissan Urvan. Yeah, it's a good solid machine that just keeps on going. My Dad's driven it to Perth and back, down to Tassie, up through the NT to Darwin... it just keeps going :-)

This is my home outside Canberra at the moment:

campervan.jpg

Today I've been very aware of stigma.

I had never realised how often someone asks you, "Where do you live?" (or "Where are you staying?" when travelling). Two or three times a day I find myself pausing, assessing the situation and working out what to say. Here are examples just from the last few days:

1. Buying nuts from a wholefood shop, I asked the checkout woman whether they ever stock gluten flour. She said no and followed it up with "Where do you live?" so that she could suggest other shops to try.

I decided it was a hippy-style place so responded, "I'm a nomad, I just travel all the time."

2. Visiting the Canberra office and asking for out-of-hours access to the building, the reception asked, "Where are you staying?".

She seemed like a really nice person but I paused, worrying that she might have reservations about security if she knew I was homeless and using the building's showers! But I braved it and responded, "Oh, just out on the Highway. I have a campervan."

3. A visit from NRMA when a cable came loose on my starter motor... the guy was a man in his 60s who was incredibly helpful but I couldn't help worrying that he might be on the conservative side. Obviously he could see my van, so he initially asked, "You've just been travelling around have you?".

Before I even thought about it, I'd said, "No, no I live here - nearly 5 years now". I suppose I didn't want him to put me in the bucket of 'backpacker'. I told him I normally live in Sydney but am here for work and that this is my car. Goodness knows what he made of all the bedding and washing up in the back!

Yep. Its the most annoying thing.

I agree, I usually get, 'where do you come from?' or 'I meant, where do your parents come from?' as well as the 'where do you live?' I find it amusing at times, so I generally give a vague answer or the weirdest and strange response just to mix it up a little.

Personally I find a person more interesting if they don't ask those questions, as it means that they don't need to 'pin' you anywhere on their mental map and come up with a stereotype in my opinion.

I guessing you have travelled a fair bit with your dad as being a practical nomad seems to suit you?

BEGal

• Like 1

Dad normally goes off on his own, but I've been a campervan owner for about 9 years now. It's my mental safety net - my 'independence'. 5 years ago I quit my job in the UK and drove round Europe in an old VW... but eventually found myself back in the corporate world down under ;-)

This morning the starter motor wouldn't play at all. I've a suspicion it's worse in cold weather, and it was only about 2 degrees at the time. So I wrapped up in a shawl and sat on the benches outside, enjoying the sun on my face and watching cockatoos peck at the grass. An old man "English but lived here 50 years" rocked up with his camera and started taking pictures of the scenery, then introduced himself and gave me one of his photos printed onto a gift card.

An hour or so later, the ignition worked and I headed to work, nervously sneaking in my towel for the shower... but I saw a very 'judgy' look from the receptionist who clocked my wet hair as I walked in.

• Like 1

I think I'm finally starting to get settled into a routine :-)

I got to the office nice and early this morning (no issues starting) and had time for full hair straightening and makeup application. I actually look like a normal person today! Next plan: find a laundrette before my laundry bag becomes unwieldy.

Last night the rest stop was pretty busy, and I befriended a guy with a converted ambulance who's basically doing the same as me, travelling to where the work is and free camping nearby. A chap with a trailer tent arrived just behind me at 2am so he was pretty noisy getting set up. The disturbed nights don't seem to be bothering me though... probably because I generally fall asleep by 9pm anyway (it's hard not to when you've already been wrapped up in quilts in the dark for 2 hours!).

Next weekend I've been invited back to a house sit in Sydney, so I'll take the opportunity to visit my storage unit and re-organise. There are a lot of summer clothes that can be popped away to make more room and, if I can dig them out from the back, more winter accessories that I could be making use of...

Edited by BadgerLady

Okay, I'll admit it, this weekend was pretty magical B|

On Saturday I drove to the farmers' market for a 7:30am start and picked up local chestnuts, fresh strawberries and some homemade fruity dolmar from a nice Turkish man. Then I came to the office to plug in my laptops and walked to a nearby CBD with my dirty laundry to find a laundrette. I sat in a cafe and treated myself to a posh breakfast, and then spent the day nosing around other people's houses as a 'prospective tenant' attending inspections.

Pan-roasted chestnuts at sunset with a glass of muscat (a gift from my last house sit)...

Sunday, being a rather mild morning, was a lie-in and then a visit to the Canberra Bus Depot markets. It's rather expensive there but lots of beautiful arts and crafts to see, and posh food to sample. I had a coconut turmeric latte (oo, I say!) and bought a bretzel to take away.

Then as I was driving back up past the city, not paying great attention to the SatNav, I took a wrong turn and found myself in an empty car park. So I parked up, picked up my bretzel and walked down to the lakeside where I met this group of cheeky fellows!

Last night was especially cold - it actually hit -4° in the early morning - so I prepared with a hot water bottle and an insulated bottle of hot almond chai. I was almost 'on the edge' of getting cold but slept well and came into the office extra early (6:30am) for a hot shower! The biggest delay was waiting for the interior condensation on the windscreen to melt...

So a few more lessons I've learnt:

• You might feel like "I'm homeless - I can't afford luxuries", but actually being homeless means you CAN. With an extra $500+ in your pocket every week, why not have that posh breakfast on a Saturday?
  • Use public toilets whenever you come across one. They're all nicer than the rest stop 'drop loo' and, most importantly, they come with proper hand washing facilities.
  • Sneak a little bit of rubbish into bins at a time. I'm still struggling a little bit with this one, but if I carry a handful of rubbish around and drop it in a public bin, it's easier than trying to dispose of a whole carrier bag full.
  • Night cream. Ladies particularly - my skin has really suffered from the extreme temperatures living outdoors, so I picked up a sample pot of night cream from the Body Shop and it REALLY makes a difference. This morning I look less 'frost-bitten' and more 'healthy glow', and feel better too.
  • If you dress up nicely and wear makeup, people look at you differently. You suddenly don't fit into their 'homeless' or 'backpacker' categories and therefore don't judge you.
  • The above doesn't work if you're actually inside the van. At that point, passers-by will just stare at you. Full-on, eye contact, point blank stare at you the whole time until they've walked past.

ducks_small.jpg

So it looks like I'm being shipped off to Brisbane next week... I have another house sitting gig in Sydney this weekend and will work out whether it's better for me to drive up to Brizzy or fly and book a hotel. After all, it'll be luxuriously warm after Canberra!!!

• Like 1

Arrived in Brisbane late last night. My house sitting employers came back early, so I packed up and went to the airport to switch my flexi ticket for the last flight of the evening!

I contacted the owner of an Airbnb house I stayed in last time I was here, and we struck up a good deal on my staying there for 8 days initially. I'm finding great comfort in going back to the same places, rather than new ones, each time. Thankfully I'm here on a work project so expenses are covered ;)

Am still pretty shattered though. It's like that feeling "I need a holiday!" or "Is it the weekend yet!?", but the day never comes... in the meantime I'm always grateful just to be indoors with access to hot running water!

6 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

Love hearing about your adventures but what do you do with your van if you need to fly anywhere ?

It has a permanent secure space next to the storage unit near Bankstown ;) I just park up and get a taxi from there (which is covered by work).

• Like 1