Qantas Flight to Brisbane via Sydney

javadxster

Hello,

I bought airline ticket with Qantas from London to Sydney QF2 and then Sydney to Brisbane Qf510, now I do not want to go to Brisbane and want to get off at Sydney.

Will I be able to tell them during check in that I want to collect all my luggage in Sydney instead and do not wish to proceed to Brisbane.

Has any one experienced this before? original plan was to move to Brisbane but I have been offered a job in Sydney now hence

You will collect your luggage in Sydney off QF2 anyway as you will go through customs there and then in check in and transfer to the domestic terminal for the onwards flight. Your luggage won't be going through to Brisbane when you check in at London. Nothing stopping you just not turning up for the domestic flight but you might see if you can get a refund on it. You should let them know anyway. They can't make you travel on if you don't want to.

You will collect your luggage in Sydney off QF2 anyway as you will go through customs there and then in check in and transfer to the domestic terminal for the onwards flight. Your luggage won't be going through to Brisbane when you check in at London. Nothing stopping you just not turning up for the domestic flight but you might see if you can get a refund on it. You should let them know anyway. They can't make you travel on if you don't want to.

Ahhhhhhhh that make sense. Chicky Qantas call centre from South Africa wanted £150 per ticket to cancel the Brisbane leg.

Cant think why you would not just walk out the door at Sydney. Tell them when you arrive in Sydney that you won't be boarding. I've done that before, just not used a return portion of a ticket, back in the day when the returns were cheaper than the singles!

Cant think why you would not just walk out the door at Sydney. Tell them when you arrive in Sydney that you won't be boarding. I've done that before, just not used a return portion of a ticket, back in the day when the returns were cheaper than the singles!

Flying one way only as part of permanent move, thanks guys put my mind at rest

Technically, you are in breach of contract by not taking the final sector and in theory could actually be charged fees and fare difference for this, however in reality as a one off you will not be pursued if you walk off with your bags in Sydney. I would advise against saying anything to the check in staff and if you really want to tell them say so in Sydney. In reality as your bags won't be on the Brisbane flight (you always collect the bags at your first port of entry), the Brisbane flight will leave on time with or without you.

Technically, you are in breach of contract by not taking the final sector and in theory could actually be charged fees and fare difference for this, however in reality as a one off you will not be pursued if you walk off with your bags in Sydney. I would advise against saying anything to the check in staff and if you really want to tell them say so in Sydney. In reality as your bags won't be on the Brisbane flight (you always collect the bags at your first port of entry), the Brisbane flight will leave on time with or without you.

Golly, they get your fare and potentially charge you fees as well! Good to know though! I'd have thought they would be happy to take your cash for nothing! Let's hope QF2 doesn't lose the luggage! Flying it myself this week as well!

Golly, they get your fare and potentially charge you fees as well! Good to know though! I'd have thought they would be happy to take your cash for nothing! Let's hope QF2 doesn't lose the luggage! Flying it myself this week as well!

British Airways has successfully brought action against passengers, slightly different situation though. It is often considerably cheaper with BA to fly for instance Amsterdam-London-New York-London-Amsterdam then just flying the London-New York-London, so savy passengers were booking a London-Amsterdam and then connecting through but dropping the final London-Amsterdam at the end of the trip. British Airways managed to sue for the difference and also blacklisted a particular travel agent that was key to this. Also has happened with other airlines. But realistically, it isn't likely to be an issue for the average passenger, however if the check-in agents get wind of your plan to intentionally miss a final sector they may refuse travel and demand the payment.

Be aware they will check you in and give you a boarding pass for the SYD-BNE leg when you board in London. So if you don't tell anyone in Sydney that you are not boarding then the flight will be held while they put out calls for you and may even hold the flight for a while. To be fair to the other passengers at least let someone know you will not be flying onwards.

Be aware they will check you in and give you a boarding pass for the SYD-BNE leg when you board in London. So if you don't tell anyone in Sydney that you are not boarding then the flight will be held while they put out calls for you and may even hold the flight for a while. To be fair to the other passengers at least let someone know you will not be flying onwards.

With Qantas Domestic flights if you don't turn up at the gate for 15 mins before departure and don't have checked baggage, the gate will close, flight will depart on time, perhaps with one or two announcements. As a QF Platinum I've seen this enough times in Sydney. International flights I think might be slightly different.

With Qantas Domestic flights if you don't turn up at the gate for 15 mins before departure and don't have checked baggage, the gate will close, flight will depart on time, perhaps with one or two announcements. As a QF Platinum I've seen this enough times in Sydney. International flights I think might be slightly different.

Must have been unlucky on the ones that I've been on from Melbourne, I remember flights being held at least twice, mind you that was a year or so ago now, could be a different policy these days (or could've been cos I'm only a Gold flyer :rolleyes:)

Edited by Nemesis

Must have been unlucky on the ones that I've been on from Melbourne, I remember flights being held at least twice, mind you that was a year or so ago now, could be a different policy these days (or could've been cos I'm only a Gold flyer :rolleyes:)

There are times they will wait, but for no show checked in pax without checked bags in my experience they don't.