Hiii Newbie who needs advice.

Bridey

Hi literally joined this week and this is my first post.

Me and my husband have decided we really want to emigrate to Australia. It's been on the cards for a while after we spent a year back packing around 10yrs ago but life's been in the way. We now have 2 son's 7 and 4yrs old and for them we really want to make a go at a new life not too bothered about area as loved it all. I have raynauds so really suffer the cold and my little boys are SO active, love the outdoors but the weather just doesn't permit it. We are sick of freezing rainy days and dark nights.

Literally no idea where to begin? I think our best chance will be with my husband. He is 36 and a Structural Designer in Oil and Gas. We are not sure wether to try and get a job or a visa or if we could even get a visa. I'm 33 and my job is in Social Media (for which I have no qualifications) but I am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist which has no point in SOL anyway ha!

Can anyone give any advice where to start or ideally an agent recommendation as we need some professional help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi B

He is 37 next month and did a 5yr apprenticeship in Structural Design which has given him an HNC. I believe his job is on the list but different countries use different terms. For example he would not say he is an engineer but has been described as that in other job roles. He is very experienced and we have lived in Spain and Texas with his jobs before.

x

You do need to talk to an agent I expect, but as a start point look at the various occupation codes for engineers/engineering technologists and what the criteria are for demonstrating qualification/skills in these areas. Most of the assessments are done through Engineers Australia and there is lots of info on their website too.

It is quite onerous to demonstrate skills in these occupations, unless you have a professional Engineering qualification (CEng, IEng or similar) from the Engineering Council, which it sounds like your husband doesn't. So you'll need to do your research

You also need (as a start point I suggest) to find out if your husband's occupation is on the SOL or CSOL. Engineering jobs have changes quite a bit over the past few years on these lists, not always in line with the actual availability of work. For example, some jobs have come off the list but the market for engineers in infrastructure and building is quite buoyant in many places. Oil and Gas is not, however, a busy sector at present. It was 3 years ago when you couldn't get people for love nor money, but the big projects up in Gladstone, Darwin and Barrow Island are all pretty much wrapped up and there's not much behind it at present

I think you will need proffessional advice from an agent. If you look at the ask an agent section, you will find a number of good registered migration agents. You will pay for their service. But I think it is going to be essential in your case as many engineering occupations require a degree, but there can be ways around this.

Hi Thank you, do you know how much agents charge please? x

It will vary a lot on what you want them to do and how complex your case is. Anywhere between a couple of hundred to a few thousand. The later might seem a lot, but it's a drop in the ocean of the whole process.