Advice required

Guernsey2612

My wife went through a nursing careers agent who advised getting registered with AHPRA first before looking to secure a job. We paid the money and my wife was excepted in principle by AHPRA pending she turn up with her identification and once confirmed will be given a registration number. The key issue is on the letter it states that my wife needs a job offer and local Australian address before she can be put on the register. The agent guaranteed registration with AHPRA do you think they have failed,when we questioned them they at first dismissed it but have looked into it and advised that we would not get a job offer unless registered so AHPRA are bonkers with this new rule. Due to my wife's age we are now unlikely to get permanent registration.Also they have said we need to secure a job and 457 before my wife reaches 50 which is in a few months so time is really against us. Any advice please on what to do. Do we have grounds for a refund? My wife feels very let down and despondent.

I am not up to date with APHRA as the rules have changed repeatedly in recent times, though I know we have a number of members that have secured it without a job offer.

However, do you understand the 457 visa? Are you aware it is a temporary visa with no automatic path to PR and in her case the only path to PR would be to be sponsored by the business and that she would need to be earning over $132,000 per year. Which would be unusually high for a nurse. If she doesn't, you will be returning at the end of the 457.

Hi my wife stated at the time we would want PR and was assured there would not be an issue as long as she got registration and secured a job by age of 50.

Many careers agents (as opposed to Migration Agents) don't understand all the visa rules, or are not up to date with them.

A few years back it was possible to get PR as a nurse over 50 if you had a job and 457. However that changed when they brought in the high income level in the last big review of 457s - its way beyond what a nurse would get, hence that route to PR is closed.

My wife went through a nursing careers agent who advised getting registered with AHPRA first before looking to secure a job. We paid the money and my wife was excepted in principle by AHPRA pending she turn up with her identification and once confirmed will be given a registration number. The key issue is on the letter it states that my wife needs a job offer and local Australian address before she can be put on the register. The agent guaranteed registration with AHPRA do you think they have failed,when we questioned them they at first dismissed it but have looked into it and advised that we would not get a job offer unless registered so AHPRA are bonkers with this new rule. Due to my wife's age we are now unlikely to get permanent registration.Also they have said we need to secure a job and 457 before my wife reaches 50 which is in a few months so time is really against us. Any advice please on what to do. Do we have grounds for a refund? My wife feels very let down and despondent.

I had my AHPRA in Principle in December, and all it stated us that i needed to present to an AHPRA office within 3 months with an Australian address to get registration fully approved. I spent £1k traveling to Aus for 1 week just to get this. You should be able to use a friend's address, or even temporary accommodation address. I did.

I had my AHPRA in Principle in December, and all it stated is that i needed to present to an AHPRA office within 3 months with an Australian address to get registration fully approved. I spent £1k traveling to Aus for 1 week just to get this. You should be able to use a friend's address, or even temporary accommodation address. I did.

I am not up to date with APHRA as the rules have changed repeatedly in recent times, though I know we have a number of members that have secured it without a job offer.

However, do you understand the 457 visa? Are you aware it is a temporary visa with no automatic path to PR and in her case the only path to PR would be to be sponsored by the business and that she would need to be earning over $132,000 per year. Which would be unusually high for a nurse. If she doesn't, you will be returning at the end of the 457.

I have to say that they seem to be much more stringent about people attempting to move from the 457 to PR route these days - I've known a few people who have gone over on a 457, only to find no rights or pathway to Permanent Residency.

I have to say that they seem to be much more stringent about people attempting to move from the 457 to PR route these days - I've known a few people who have gone over on a 457, only to find no rights or pathway to Permanent Residency.

Thats always been the case though. A 457 is not an automatic pathway to PR and never has been.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - just to add re AHPRA. This happened to me. I used my holiday accommodation address as a point of contact and I took all my nursing and ID stuff with me to Australia on our reccie trip and signed up with an agency. AHPRA accepted this as a job offer. All well now as I've been in Australia and working as a nurse for nearly 3 years now. Don't give up and good luck

Rachel