Japan with kids

Eera

Hey all.

We are intending on taking the kids to Japan for a snow holiday early next year. I want to spend around 7 days in the Tokyo / Kyoto area and am just looking for some ideas to keep a 5 year old and an 8 year old entertained. Not a fan of the Disneyland thing. Anyone been there with fairly young kids? Mine like anything that explodes and makes noise, but are not really into the more quiet pursuits. I'd love to go down to Hiroshima but in reality don't have the time to go so am more looking at seeing one or two areas and not trying to fit a huge amount into a short time.

Ta

• 2 months later...
On 01/03/2017 at 8:36 AM, Eera said:

Hey all.

We are intending on taking the kids to Japan for a snow holiday early next year. I want to spend around 7 days in the Tokyo / Kyoto area and am just looking for some ideas to keep a 5 year old and an 8 year old entertained. Not a fan of the Disneyland thing. Anyone been there with fairly young kids? Mine like anything that explodes and makes noise, but are not really into the more quiet pursuits. I'd love to go down to Hiroshima but in reality don't have the time to go so am more looking at seeing one or two areas and not trying to fit a huge amount into a short time.

Ta

Hi not sure if you have done this trip yet?  We just got back from Japan in April.  We found jpass great, used the trains all the time, we do not have kids now, so can't help you there. Great clean country, after the cruise in to Kobe, we stayed 3.5 weeks, saw Kyoto, and surrounding areas. Hiroshima, Kanazawa, Matsumoto, Mt Fuji at it's best. Tokyo, Nara. Did lots of side trips from our stops.  Enjoy your travels.

• Like 1

Hey Sueandave.  thanks for replying.  So far it looks like I'm going to limit our time to around Tokyo as I'd prefer to see more of a single area than try and spread ourselves too thin, got a sweet apartment in the guts of Shinjuku for a week.  I'm considering just doing day trips radiating out so the kids get to go on the bullet train (who am I kidding; so *I* get to go on the bullet train), we will then go skiiing for a week, which is why we are there.  I'm thinking more of doing a stopover in either Singapore or Hong Kong just to break the journey up.  Still waiting to see who is going to have the most convenient flights so I'll base it around that more than anything.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just arrived back on the weekend.  Found Japan very easy to get around - station announcements are in English and Japanese so not difficult in the slightest.  Did a couple of Viator day trips to Mt Fuji and on the bullet train, but did find the governing factor was the endurance of Mr 5, but didn't expect too much otherwise.  Didn't like Tokyo too much; it's kind of seedy but the people are friendly and really cannot do enough to help you out.  If you've seen the original Total Recall, with the constant noise and advertising, you kind of get the idea what it's like.

Skiing was fantastic in Sapporo, went the Club Med route which was exxy as a single payment, but when you consider that it includes all meals and ski tuition, the numbers aren't too much different from New Zealand.  We loved it so much that a return trip is on the cards, though this time I'll go via Singapore on a daytime flight and stopover for a couple of days - we went ANA via Sydney direct, and the return leg was 30 hours of travel which was hideous - got the kids a couple if cheap tablets to play which were sanity savers!  Next time we will fly via Osaka as we elected not to do too much travel with kids and ski gear in tow.  I'd really, really recommend that anyone in the same position books airport pick ups; while the trains are great and relatively easy to navigate, doing it after an overnight flight with a fractious family is not the greatest start to a holiday.

Edited by Eera
  • Like 1