Traveling up the coast to Cairns.

nicolesmith

We are a family who have just arrived on the Gold Coast, and are planning a road trip up to Cairns. The plan is to stop off at a few places on the way and to look and see if there's anywhere we'd like to settle for a while.

However, from what we've seen so far, and with the kind of weather and lifestyle we know that we like, it seems that on paper, Cairns ticks all of the boxes. I also spent a few days up there in 2003 and loved the feel of the place.

If we buy a house, we'd like an acre or two, and would probably like to be 10-15 mins out of town. Does anybody have any recommendations of areas that we can look at when we are up there?

Thanks in advance.

As someone who lives in Cairns, by 10-15 minutes, do you mean from the middle (Central Business District), or the edge? If the edge of Cairns, do you mean the beaches (north) rural (south) or Atherton Tablelands (west). And how much do you want to spend?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

As someone who lives in Cairns, by 10-15 minutes, do you mean from the middle (Central Business District), or the edge? If the edge of Cairns, do you mean the beaches (north) rural (south) or Atherton Tablelands (west). And how much do you want to spend?

Eek! Shows how little I know about the place. I guess my question was a real 'how long is a piece of string' type of question.

I don't feel the need to be close to the CBD, so I guess from the edge of Cairns. So far I have looked (online) at properties in the Gordonvale area, and also in the beach areas, such as Trinity Beach. Generally we like to have a bit of space around us, so I guess further south or west would give us a bit more room to move. Is that correct?

Also, would you say there are any particular places to avoid in the Cairns area?

Thank you!

Going west would mean inland, cooler, options for more land in a more temperate climate, but travelling either up the Kuranda Range or the Gillies Highway.

Kuranda is lovely, as is the southern end at the Gillies.

I would strongly suggest several days exploring around here. The hills around Cairns create a peculiar microclimate. In Cairns a very low winters temperature is 14C, but I have friends who own land in Gordonvale who even sometimes have frost!

You are very unlikely to get an acre (4000m2) at the beaches, unless you have a large amount of money, or want to live on a very steep block, and excavate a platform to build.

Edited by ChrisH1

Avoid any suburb beginning with M: Manunda, Mooroobool, etc. Also Woree, Edmonton.

Many rumours abound about the quality of the ex-agricultural land around Cairns, especially in Gordonvale. Some suggest having the land tested due to heavy pesticide use in the past when it was cane farming land.

I would suggest talking to some of the local real estate agents. By email.would be a good way to start. The best property and land never gets to realestate.com.au.

Edited by ChrisH1

Avoid any suburb beginning with M: Manunda, Mooroobool, etc. Also Woree, Edmonton.

Many rumours abound about the quality of the ex-agricultural land around Cairns, especially in Gordonvale. Some suggest having the land tested due to heavy pesticide use in the past when it was cane farming land.

I would suggest talking to some of the local real estate agents. By email.would be a good way to start. The best property and land never gets to realestate.com.au.

Thank you!