Cost and Quarantine

johnstanhope

Hi John,

I used Petair and they were great!!

Quarantine was 10 days long and based in Melbourne (I believe Melbourne is the only one in Australia now)

You need to start the process about 7 months before you leave the country or at least I did for my two cats. - As your pet needs to have certain shots.

I think the total cost for my two cats was about $4000, this including having Petair do the paperwork, the airfares, the time in quarantine, the vet bills in Uk & quarantine vet checks. The price Petair quoted did not include Quarantine and vet costs.. and they are not cheap.

So I would guess about $2000 for your dog - dependant on size.

Hope this helps

Edited by The Raillys

I recommend Jetpets, they are Australian but can advise who to use from the Uk http://www.jetpets.com.au/overseas-pet-travel/travel-into-australia/ I have a friend who is a breeder who imports and uses dogtainers.

It won't be cheap and is based on the crate size and quarantine. Crates come in a variety of sizes and the weight and breed determine the crate size, the dog has to be able to stand up and turn around so its not just weight. Quarantine time depends on their rabies status. If they have had the injection and passed the blood test its 10 days but it takes about 6 months to do the pre work. All the info is here

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

It's bloody complicated, my dogs had 23 pieces of paper work each. Get a Pet Import company to do it don't try to do it yourself. If even the smallest detail is wrong your dog could be held in quarantine for 6 months. My dogs cost $3k each , 5 years ago, of which half was quarantine. Raillys is correct there is now only one quarantine station in Melbourne, whilst quarantine times have come down costs have not.

Still they are family and worth every penny.