Baby Passport Advice

Southchick

Hi everyone,

Hoping you may be able to advise.

My daughter was born here and I am now applying for her first passport for our upcoming holiday.

I believe I have to first apply for a certificate of citizenship for her (form 119) so ive printed that out.

1.Just wondered who may certify my documents as we have moved interstate and havent known anyone a year (one of the requirements on form)?

2. Only evidence of identity I have for her is her birth certificate and medicare card... she doesnt have any photo id obvs...

Should this be ok?

Many thanks in advance for any advice, its an expensive form so want to get it right!

Hi everyone,

Hoping you may be able to advise.

My daughter was born here and I am now applying for her first passport for our upcoming holiday.

I believe I have to first apply for a certificate of citizenship for her (form 119) so ive printed that out.

1.Just wondered who may certify my documents as we have moved interstate and havent known anyone a year (one of the requirements on form)?

2. Only evidence of identity I have for her is her birth certificate and medicare card... she doesnt have any photo id obvs...

Should this be ok?

Many thanks in advance for any advice, its an expensive form so want to get it right!

Could you send one of the passport photos and the guarantor form by special mail to someone who has known your daughter since birth? Saying that, there must be lots of people who are in this boat - why not give the passport office a call and ask.

It should be, but it is not. You should make every effort to comply with the published criteria.

Yep. the Australian Passport Office is really anal about this and is quite likely to call the person certifying the photograph. We got our Australian passports 6 months after we arrived so we had a bit of a problem finding someone who'd known us before arriving!

Why do you have to apply for a certificate of citizenship? If she was born in Australia then all she needs is her birth certificate and her passport - or are you citizens who are living in UK at the moment and by "here" do you mean UK? You could try your local GP or child health nurse who may have known her the longest and they can add the rider that you are only newly arrived in town.

Why do you have to apply for a certificate of citizenship? If she was born in Australia then all she needs is her birth certificate and her passport - or are you citizens who are living in UK at the moment and by "here" do you mean UK? You could try your local GP or child health nurse who may have known her the longest and they can add the rider that you are only newly arrived in town.

The passport office requires the parents have evidence of citizenship or PR, and they don't accept a printout of VEVO or a copy of the visa grant as evidence. So if the parents are PR, they have to go through the extra step to get a certificate of citizenship for the child before they can apply for the child's passport.

Quoll she doesn't have a passport. That's what they're applying for. Being born in Australia doesn't automatically give you citizenship you need the right paperwork to prove you're entitled to it.

The passport office requires the parents have evidence of citizenship or PR, and they don't accept a printout of VEVO or a copy of the visa grant as evidence. So if the parents are PR, they have to go through the extra step to get a certificate of citizenship for the child before they can apply for the child's passport.

Thanks! Just assumed their parents visa status would be enough. I know you need a certificate of citizenship if they're born overseas. Mea culpa

Thanks! Just assumed their parents visa status would be enough. I know you need a certificate of citizenship if they're born overseas. Mea culpa
I think it must have changed in the last few years. We had our daughter here when we were PR, she doesnt have a citizenship certificate only her birth certificate. They were happy seeing that and proof that we were PR, that was in the days of Visa labels. We have renewed her passport after 5 years as well with no problems.
  • Like 1

Guest Gill2015

Hi mate, you can certify photo either from RN at hospital or pharmacist. I went to pharmacy and pharmacist singed the form for us. You only need birth certificate of your child, your identity & residential address proof. I got my baby's certificate within 3 weeks & passport took 2 weeks. Hope this helps.Good luck.