Parent Visa

SSSF

Hi All,

My situation is that I am on a subclass 189 visa (granted). My question is that, can I apply a parent visa for my aged father, and if so, how do i kick start the process? Please shed some lights to me, many thanks to your advice in advance.

Regards,

SSSF

You will need to have been settled in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor your parent for a visa. In addition your father will need to meet the balance of family test, ie he will need to have at least half his children in Australia on permanent visas. I would start by taking a look here:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare

Basically there are 2 main types of visas, Non-Contributory, which has a very long processing time and Contributory, which costs around $50,000 and is currently taking around 2.5 years to process. If your father is over 65 he may be able to apply for the onshore version of one of these visas. If you are settled and your father meets the balance of family test, it might be advisable to start the process sooner rather than later, as there is a suggestion that immigration may greatly increase the cost of the contributory visa and put restrictions on who can apply for the non contributory visa.

Hi VERSTORMY,

I am currently staying in Hong Kong. I will move to Australia in this year.

I have 2 brothers, who are living in Hong Kong. I tried the balance of family test, and it seems that I have failed because i am the 1 out of 3 children of my father who lives in Australia. However, my situation is that, I am truly the only one who can take care of my father, hence I wonder is there any other means that I can achieve that (for example, having a legal declaration on this situation etc.).

And there are a number of parent visa as i can see from the site https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare, i wonder which one is more suitable to my situation, if I am eligible for the application. Would appreciate your advice, thanks!

The contributory parent visa is likely to be the only option.

Parent visas require you to have lived in Australia for two years prior to applying.

However, they do require you to pass the balance of family test, which at the moment you can not.

Personally, it looks unlikely there is a visa available, but I would speak to a good agent.

You don't pass the balance of family test so a parent visa is a none starter. You would have had to live in Australia for 2 years even if you did pass it. You are one of three sons living in the same country. Not sure why you are the only one who your dad is dependant on but as has been said, if that is the case he should have been included in your application. I can never understand if your situation is as you have described why this would not have been the starting point of whether you could ever move to Australia. Why would you get a visa sorted out and a move date and then ask the question how if someone who is totally independent on me how can they move too. Surely that would come first if the only way you could move is if they can come to?

http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/new-temporary-visa-for-parents-with-children-in-australia-consultation-announced/

Possibly the new temporary parent visa, which may well not have a requirement to meet the balance of family test - information in the next month or 3 is awaited from the Department of Immigration.

If you would like to be updated with information about this new visa (as and when it becomes known) please feel able to send an email to me (click on my name to the left of this post) and advise your details.

I can then add you to our temporary parent visa database.

Best regards.

• 2 months later...

Hi, totally new and confused about the options on parental visas.  We would meet the balance of family requirements as well as our son being established and an Aussie Citizen.  We travel on the 651 visa which we renew annually.  Some threads say that on their visa when issued it states that they cannot apply for another visa as one of the conditions. That is not the case with ours, so if we apply for a 103 onshore during our visit to see the family, what is the best way to have an extended stay and not have to return to the UK.

2 minutes ago, Eggfrog said:

Hi, totally new and confused about the options on parental visas.  We would meet the balance of family requirements as well as our son being established and an Aussie Citizen.  We travel on the 651 visa which we renew annually.  Some threads say that on their visa when issued it states that they cannot apply for another visa as one of the conditions. That is not the case with ours, so if we apply for a 103 onshore during our visit to see the family, what is the best way to have an extended stay and not have to return to the UK.

A subclass 103 visa is not an onshore visa.

Please feel able to contact me off forum (click on my name to the left of this post) to arrange a freebie chat to discuss your visa strategy.

Best regards.

Hello All. I'm new to this forum. We're applying for the parent contributory visa, our son is sponsor and we've been assigned a case officer. However, our son is not currently in Australia and we're now running into complications with the AoS. Our son is returning to Aus at the end of the year but that's not soon enough. We've been told that there are companies that act as assurers for a fee. Does anyone know of these companies please? 

3 hours ago, Harmaye said:

Hello All. I'm new to this forum. We're applying for the parent contributory visa, our son is sponsor and we've been assigned a case officer. However, our son is not currently in Australia and we're now running into complications with the AoS. Our son is returning to Aus at the end of the year but that's not soon enough. We've been told that there are companies that act as assurers for a fee. Does anyone know of these companies please? 

The strategy of using a corporate Assurer was a loophole a few years ago - you could establish a new company in Australia and use that entity to provide the AoS, albeit with a higher AoS Bond.

The requirement is now for the corporate entity to have been trading for a period before it can act as Assurer:

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/90

This old thread references a third party that was able to provide assistance in years gone by.   I'm not sure whether he is still operating - maybe try to make contact, and report back here with your findings?

Good luck!