Moving to Queensland

finchy88

My wife and I have decided we would like to move to Queensland. Its very early days and we are finding it difficult to find all the information we need.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I am a bricklayer so I believe i can get a 189 visa. Can anyone advise me on how much this visa would cost for me, my wife and our three kids under 4?

From what i can gather, bricklayers are making upwards of 75k, is this going to be enough for a family of five renting a house for 4-500 dollars a week. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a rough answer would be appreciated.

Can anyone advise a nice area to bring up a young family, our eldest is 4 and our twins are 1.

Any other advise or experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

Andy

Take professional advice as 189's seem to be designed for people with degree level education with 10 years plus experience. Bricklayers are rare here, do not work to a good standard and it's hard. QLD lays blocks and then renders or clad to finish so only common brickwork. Southern states have more brickwork due to drop in temps.

Areas, Brisbane is climbing with a lot of areas becoming expensive to live in especially traditional houses with gardens etc. Apartments have come down but would be difficult with children.

Best of luck.

Hi finchy88,

My hubby and I have also just started out 189 skilled visa with me as main applicant. My hubby is a welder and we have a four year old and 8 month old twins!

if you are the main visa applicant you are likely to need to demonstrate English language ability for sufficient points. I will be doing IELTS test. I know my hubby was worried about this when we considered going a few years on his skill-set. Just something else to consider.

With this size of family you'll be lucky to get change from 8k for the visa between fees to government and agent (if you use one)

Good luck with it all

My wife and I have decided we would like to move to Queensland. Its very early days and we are finding it difficult to find all the information we need.

I am a bricklayer so I believe i can get a 189 visa. Can anyone advise me on how much this visa would cost for me, my wife and our three kids under 4?

From what i can gather, bricklayers are making upwards of 75k, is this going to be enough for a family of five renting a house for 4-500 dollars a week. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a rough answer would be appreciated.

Can anyone advise a nice area to bring up a young family, our eldest is 4 and our twins are 1.

Andy

When you say a 'nice area' - you do realise just how big Queensland is..............

Costwise most people with famiies seem to reckon on budgeting around £20-25k these days - skillls assessment, visa, medicals, flights, shipping, set-up costs in oz...its not to be undertaken lightly

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Nemisis

Thank you for the reply, we were thinking something along those lines figure wise.

Yes, Queensland is a big place I should of been more specific. We like the look of the gold coast but it would really depend on where the work is,

Nurseries are expensive, your best option would be an au pair. I think one of our members said she paid her au pair $150 a week. $75,000 isn't a lot these days BUT I know a family of 9 who managed with an income half of that and they had to pay school fees and medical costs. It was hard but I suppose it depends on the sacrifices you are willing to make.

As the poster above mentions, if you are on a skilled visa Centrelink will top your earnings, contribute to child care etc, we found this helped alot in the first few years whilst we got ourselves establised.

There is lots of building inland from the Gold Coast, Yarabillba,Jimboomba, Flagstone, Springfield are all area that are currently being developed, you need to bear in mind though that in a year or so, when you have the visa and are ready to move things may have changed a bit in some of those areas and other areas may be hotspots.

Lots of luck with everything, its certainly great out here if you can make it work.

Cal x

Thanks for all your advise again.

Can anyone give me an idea how long the visa process takes.

Also, for those that have moved out recently what did it all add up to.

Is it worth looking in to sponsorship. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to this.

Thanks again

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would only use sponsorship as a very last resort. It is classed as a Temp visa, you are not eligible for Centrelink help, you are tied to the one employer and if things are not going great at work you are somewhat 'stuck' with it. If your employer sacks you , you only have a few weeks to try and find another sponser or you have to leave the country. It is risky to move a family on a temp visa ,hence only use as a last resort.

Cal x

Thanks for all your advise again.

Can anyone give me an idea how long the visa process takes.

Also, for those that have moved out recently what did it all add up to.

Is it worth looking in to sponsorship. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to this.

Thanks again

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Length of process depends on how fast you are able to do your skills assessment. We started to gather the documents in October, EOI December, invite January and visa March. We arrived in June 2015.

Definitely would not go with sponsorship if you can avoid it - risky with a largish family.

In terms of income, you could manage on $75k if you had one second hand car and rented in a less popular area. We worked out that as a family of 4 we could manage for 1 year on $65k - it would have been tight and not provided a cushion if something went wrong but it would have been doable. Luckily we both found work.

If you wife wants to work, then au pair is a good option - heaps of au pairs looking for work. Look up facebook site Brisbane babysitters for an idea of cost + availability.

If money is tight would weigh up whether or not to ship your stuff over - you can get fairly cheap household goods from Kmart or Target. Equivalent of Argos quality. Gumtree and facebook selling sights are fantastic for getting furniture at cheap prices. However, you do need to factor in white goods - most rentals come with a cooker but not fridge or washing machine and these are more expensive than UK to buy new - we bought ours from Gumtree and have worked absolutely fine for the last 18 months.

I think you just need to manage your expectations - you probably won't be living in a beautiful new build with 4 x 4. But it is just a matter of giving it time.

There are masses more free activities here - beach, mountains, cycling, free museums and lagoons, free parking in most places. You can have fun filled weekends and spend nothing.

P

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have recently moved to Queensland, Rockhampton (been here 5 weeks) and can say that it is more expensive than the UK but not massively so but $75k I imagine will not be enough sadly unless your wife works too as you will be short but you are entitled to more benefits as someone has already said on a 189. Just for advice, what I found is that I looked for jobs from back home in areas I imagined that I'd like to live but it never worked out like this as I had to go here the job was so just be prepared to be open to this idea too.

Regarding nice areas though, I can't advise about this but others will be able to. The Aussie's here have been good on advising areas to avoid while here which is good and they say they they don't suffer from gang cultures like U.K. This is from those that have lived in Rockhampton, Melbourne and Far North qld though so not sure about the Gold Coast.

Definitely do lots of research and be prepared for the weather and humidity... It's hot... very hot :cool:

Tom