Bond and 1st month's rent

baggo

I am almost sure this is going to be a daft question...

But when an estate agent lists a bond and that is usually equivalent to the 1st months rent, is this in addition to the first month's rent?

So one would pay 1st month's rent AND bond up front prior to getting keys?

Ta

B

I am almost sure this is going to be a daft question...

But when an estate agent lists a bond and that is usually equivalent to the 1st months rent, is this in addition to the first month's rent?

So one would pay 1st month's rent AND bond up front prior to getting keys?

Ta

B

Not a daft question at all.

I believe that the bond is paid and between 2-4 weeks rent, both 'up front'.

B

The bond is no more than 4 weeks rent (by law, 6 weeks if furnished) and a calendar month's rent is 4.33* the weekly rent (as Very stormy said *52/12).

You cannot be obliged to pay more than 2 weeks rent in advance until you agree to it. A lot of tenants "agree" to pay by calendar month in advance.

The bond is no more than 4 weeks rent (by law, 6 weeks if furnished) and a calendar month's rent is 4.33* the weekly rent (as Very stormy said *52/12).

You cannot be obliged to pay more than 2 weeks rent in advance until you agree to it. A lot of tenants "agree" to pay by calendar month in advance.

another daft question - do you get the bond back when you leave, minus any dedications for damage or similar?

Again yes you do. They have tightened up the law on this recently with the Residential tenancies Act 2010. Your bond is held by Fair trading and the landlord must apply for damages (unless you agree). They have also clarified what is damage v fair wear and tear, e.g. Furniture indentations and traffic marks on a carpet are fair wear and tear, Stains etc are damage.

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen
Why is it just 30 days to get out if the owner wants the property back while if you break lease you have to give 60 days notice?

It is 60 days, although I don't know the law for every state so maybe there is one that's 30 days. People need to remember that when dealing in realestate, every state has their own set off rules. It use to be 60 days unless it was a repossession and then I think 30 days was the notice arrangement.

• 2 months later...
On 30/01/2017 at 6:20 AM, Beaty said:

Not a daft question at all.

I believe that the bond is paid and between 2-4 weeks rent, both 'up front'.

B

Most agents will ask for 6wks bond (they seem to where I live) then you pay your months rent upfront.