Transfer of Australian Super to the UK Over 65 years of age

sandyandbarry

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think @Andrew from Vista financial may be able to advise. I have tagged him in to this post so hopefully when he is next online he can help

Hi,

Has anyone transferred their super back to the UK when moving back to the UK permanently. We are thinking of returning after 28 years and are both 66 but cant fine much info on a permanent resident taking super out of Australia. Any links would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Sandy and Barry.

Transferring a Super Fund to a UK Pension Fund is not possible I'm afraid however in Australia the conditions of release of superannuation generally mean that once a person is age 65+ they can take up to 100% of their superannuation fund tax-free.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/Accessing-your-super

This being the case then it would be possible to withdraw 100% of the monies tax-free and then take it to the UK with you to then use/invest accordingly.

There may be unique situations whereby the above strategy may not be possible more so due to older style superannuation products so I would advise you contact your super fund to explore your options.

Hope this help,

regards Andy