Will never fly Emirates again.

robbyinperth

15 hours ago, Stayorgo said:

I've never flown to Oz with Emirates but have with etihad and Cathay both of whom were great! Flown Qantas, Singapore and Malaysian previously too, all been fine, though those ones were 5-10years ago. 

We tend to go with cheapest seats and avoiding Heathrow. Etihad are my current favourite. Great deals, no seat choice charge and great service. 

Like yourself we tend to look for the best deal though not always the cheapest as we then check for best timings of flights. We have flown Qantas, BA, Virgin (Pacific and Atlantic), Cathay, Singapore, Thai, Malaysia, Emirates, Air NZ, Swiss, Brunei and Finair. Of all of them we now avoid Qantas, BA (both for a long time now) and now Virgin Atlantic all due to very poor service at every level along with attitudes, also Brunei but more due to timings rather than service.

PS we use Heathrow no problem.

Edited by Keith and Linda

19 minutes ago, Parley said:

If it happened 45 years ago you probably should have stated that in your post instead of giving the impression that that is how they treat people now.

If you mean me, I mistyped in a hurry, so sorry your honour,I meant of course 4 - 5 years ago. Pity you couldn't be bothered to quote me so I could be ure who you meant.

Edited by Nemesis

As a frequent flyer, I find most airlines now much of a muchness. Regularly fly Emirates/Qantas (generally preferring the Qantas sectors where possible), but find Qatar and Etihad very similar. Cathay and BA are okayish too, Singapore better. Worst experiences have been with the various Chinese Airlines, Vietnam and Kuwait.
 One bad experience with an airline often is enough to force people away, especially with so much choice between the UK and Australia. The reality is that all airlines have delays, all airlines lose bags, meals get missed, fee to select a seat is becoming more normal and A/C leaking water does occasionally happen. 
 I always travel with a spare set of clothes in my hand carry (and also a spare set for my kids), no matter which airline. I've had a glass of red wine thrown over me, I've had someone throw their meal on me and I've been 'misconnected' and sent to a hotel with only my hand carry, so a spare set of clothes can come in handy. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Anyone know if there are any other airlines that stop over in Dubai? I'd like to replace some gold jewellery that was stolen and to my knowledge Dubai is the best place to shop.

Can you not put it into Skyscanner or some such as your stop or via there iykwim? 

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

If you mean me, I mistyped in a hurry, so sorry your honour,I meant of course 4 - 5 years ago. Pity you couldn't be bothered to quote me so I could be ure who you meant.

Pretty obvious as you were the one who stated it happened 45 years ago.

10 hours ago, Melbpom said:

Anyone know if there are any other airlines that stop over in Dubai? I'd like to replace some gold jewellery that was stolen and to my knowledge Dubai is the best place to shop.

Sri Lankan Airways have started up from Melbourne, could probably find a one world itinerary that goes MEL-CMB-DXB-LHR