Suburbs in Sydney

Nat1990

Hi Guys,

Me and my partner are moving to Sydney after living in Western Australia for the past two years (relocating due to work) and seeking advice on areas to live.

The area we currently live in is semi rural (Byford) its around 45 minutes away from the city has good public transport, I can enjoy trail riding on the horses, walks through national parks and it also has a good community vibe.

This is similar to what we a looking for in Sydney (hopefully around 30 minutes away from the city), we do like a slower side off life but being in our late 20's we are looking to have children soon so good schools would be a bonus!

Any advice on suburbs would be great!

Thanks,

Nat =)

It's quite a lot bigger city, but there are national parks and fairly extensive green spaces even quite close to the city centre where you can feel a long way from the hubbub. There is a lot of tree cover here too.

Most of the NPs and big green areas close to the city are along valleys. So places within 30 minutes that have walks through National Parks and decent public transport aren't hard, but semi rural within 45 mins is

I don't know Byford but I can think of quite a few places that are semi rural with big open space and horse riding etc - places like Terrey Hills, Ingleside, Galston, Dural, areas of Castle Hill along Gilbert Rd and Old Northern Rd (check the map for this sort of place) but none of them have good PT or are 45 mins from the CBD.

Good schools isn't that hard here either, at your age even if you like the quieter side of life I'm guessing you would still like to be connected to the social and cultural diversions of the city, so would veer away from suggesting anywhere too far out or it can feel isolated.

So, places nearer in where there are extensive national parks nearby but you can still get into the city? Look at the suburbs around Middle Harbour (Garigal National Park) or the Lane Cove National Park on the north side, or around the George's River on the south side.

Budget is quite key in Sydney, as it's all verging degrees of expensive

• 3 months later...

Check out Sydney's northern beaches - national park galore on your doorstep! Nice upmarket suburbs but plenty going on. Also quite a lot of work about so you don't necessarily need to go into the city unless you choose to! Anything north of Narrabeen would probably suit you.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

There are lots of beautiful national parks to the south as well around Engadine and Heathcote which both have good train links. This area will be cheaper than the Northern beaches. If you are working in the CBD it does not matter where you live but if not you want to live on the same side as you work in, traversing the city is a nightmare in rush hour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering whether the region around Campbelltown might suit. I am familiar with Camden which has a semi-rural, country town feel which I like. My brother and his daughter both live in Spring Farm which is a new build estate next to Camden. I don't want to live there but I was thinking vaguely about Camden at a later date if I want to move closer to them. The only problem with Camden is it does not have a station meaning a bus or drive to Campbelltown or MacArthur.

On Thursday I got the train to MacArthur and I had to change at Campbelltown (some trains carry on to MacArthur). This was a fast train and didn't stop between Wolli Creek and Holsworthy and I think it took about 45 minutes to Campbelltown (from Central which is my station for Surry Hills).I was going to walk from Campbelltown to MacArthur then I realized the Southern Highlands line train was waiting. It's a two car diesel and had I not been meeting a friend I would have stayed on the train to see the countryside between MacArthur and Moss Vale where this train was terminating.

Anyway, in my roundabout way, I was thinking you might find a suitable suburb or town in this area. I shall have to investigate the house prices!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kareela is a lovely quiet and family friendly suburb located just off the Princes Hwy in the Sutherland Shire. It is bordered by Sylvania, Kirrawee and Oyster Bay and a lot of the homes have lovely water views or bush views. The shopping centre has been recently renovated and has everything you need, including cafe's and takeaway and a couple of restaurants. The local primary school is one of the best in the area. Many of the houses are currently undergoing renovations as the original owners have sold and downsized and new families have moved in. Most of the homes are very large, with some great architecture on display. With regular bus service to Jannali and Miranda, transport is easy and it's a very safe place for children. Approx 30-40 mins drive into the CBD and 10-15 mins to the beach.

• Like 1