Is it possible to secure a rental property before you arrive in Sydney?

Hi all,

I've got my 190 and we're currently planning our move to sydney in around 12 months. Will be selling up to afford the move and have no intention of ever coming back (famous last words!).

I'm keeping my eye on rentals in balmain, rozelle and Stanmore areas. We have friends in balmain and love it there.

My question is, how easy it is to rent something before we arrive, my original plan was to do an airbnb for a month, but i want to live in the area we settle in so the kids can get sorted with schools quickly.

Could I offer to pay 3 months rent upfront to secure something or is that madness? I.e. Handing my money over! We won't have jobs before we arrive, so not sure where we stand rental prospects wise, esp if competition is fierce.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did, but only because OH's company paid for a relocation agent to view properties and sort it out on our behalf, it was expensive though and we'd not have bothered if they'd not paid. To be honest though, you'd probably struggle to rent before you arrive without someone acting on your behalf. The rental market is hard in Sydney, just last weekend there was a story in the paper about how there was a queue of 200 people waiting to look at a rental property, so I think you'd struggle to compete with people if you're not here. Plus, in my experience of having looked at a few rental properties, you definitely wouldn't want to rent without looking first. Often the pictures used are horrendously out of date and don't reflect the true condition of a property.

I would just just go on with your original plan, and keep your kids off school until you've found somewhere. They'll settle in soon enough.

Thanks all. Good point ref the images - most of the ones I see look amazing online, but could be terrible in reality!

It's very common on the rental market for pictures that were done the last time the property was sold to just be continually recycled. So if it's been on the rental market for 20 years and they've spent nothing on it, the pictures can be quite misleading!

We managed this. But we knew the area well as had visited more than once in person. We also got a friend to act on our behalf although she had difficulty persuading agents to take her and us seriously!

one agent came up trumps for us and we rented a new build property.

This was in SA and a few years back. This time when we came back we wanted to stay in a different area and decided to look ourselves and booked 6 weeks holiday let. We just managed and yes we had to kiss a LOT of frogs.........

I will third the point about seeing in person. The first place I looked at looked amazing in the pictures. The reality was something else. Maybe come a week before the others to find a place?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Very much agree with this and @northshorepom! We are currently (half heartedly) looking for a new place, and we haven't yet seen one we'd even consider moving into... (although our current unit is very nice - we are only looking elsewhere to try and get a drop in weekly rental costs). We have local knowledge and are looking in very specific areas.

Most real estate photos seem to be out of date - ie, the property looks roomy / fresh etc and in reality this rarely seems to be the case, unless it's a VERY new property.

I'd wait to get here and eyeball everywhere in person - and then you can at least see in person the things you might be willing to compromise on.

Edited by vickyplum

Hi Lucy Jane,

I have lived in the Balmain/Rozelle area for a long time and I'd really recommend it. It is a super area and I wouldn't live elsewhere in Sydney. It is a lot quieter than 10 years ago but still great pubs, cafes, restaurants, close to the city but is it's own village with no through traffic. A good community too and if you have kids and/or you/your OH are into footie, I can highly recommend BDFC - a real community club with teams for all ages, genders and abilities. Great way to meet new people in the area.

It is very competitive for rentals and there is a mix of older stuff, renovated stuff and new stuff. I don't think you'd get somewhere until you see it, also 99% of places are unfurnished so you need to time for your stuff to arrive or if you buy stuff here for it to be delivered (may take a few weeks). Also it will take you 3-4 weeks to find somewhere suitable.

I echo the comments above, get a short term furnished place to start, Airbnb, Stayz, Gumtree, Housesitting sites etc.

Good luck

I agree with all the comments above, but think 6 months upfront would be more preferred over 3 months if you could actually get an estate to sign you off in the current market.

The pictures shown are very deceiving and the majority do not look like what has been posted! Personanlly wait till you get here and view the properties and areas.

On a side note, you are selling your property in the UK to fund your relocation.

Have you considered how much it will cost to buy in these areas you have mentioned? Unless you have tens off thousands in equity already, can you afford to buy in these suburbs you mentioned(had to double check and you have mentioned, some of the most expensive suburbs in Sydney which is already one of the most expensive cities in the world).

When did your friends move to Balmain, as over 10 years ago would have been great for an expat with the conversion rate.

Sydney while still an amazing city is now not anywhere I would want to move too, unless you have a very amazing salary to cover the actual living costs(Australia gerneral high cost of living, but the actual rent and more so the actual costs of buying a property).

Sorry not trying to be negative, but please review your locations for rentals and then buying to be firmly settled since you mentioned you want your kiddies settled in school and guessing/assuming you do not want to move from this/these areas.

Hi Lucy Jane,

I have lived in the Balmain/Rozelle area for a long time and I'd really recommend it. It is a super area and I wouldn't live elsewhere in Sydney. It is a lot quieter than 10 years ago but still great pubs, cafes, restaurants, close to the city but is it's own village with no through traffic. A good community too and if you have kids and/or you/your OH are into footie, I can highly recommend BDFC - a real community club with teams for all ages, genders and abilities. Great way to meet new people in the area.

It is very competitive for rentals and there is a mix of older stuff, renovated stuff and new stuff. I don't think you'd get somewhere until you see it, also 99% of places are unfurnished so you need to time for your stuff to arrive or if you buy stuff here for it to be delivered (may take a few weeks). Also it will take you 3-4 weeks to find somewhere suitable.

I echo the comments above, get a short term furnished place to start, Airbnb, Stayz, Gumtree, Housesitting sites etc.

Good luck

As Collie mentioned, they have been in the area for a very long time. If I had managed to secure a job in 2001 in Sydney(WHV and IT dot com crash had a big impact) and stayed I would be laughing now as could be a millionaire on paper by now if bought around then.

As Collie mentions, these are areas are great but unless you have some serious cash, buying is pretty much out of the question unless you are seriously loaded or have a huge deposit.

I agree with all the comments above, but think 6 months upfront would be more preferred over 3 months if you could actually get an estate to sign you off in the current market.

The pictures shown are very deceiving and the majority do not look like what has been posted! Personanlly wait till you get here and view the properties and areas.

On a side note, you are selling your property in the UK to fund your relocation.

Have you considered how much it will cost to buy in these areas you have mentioned? Unless you have tens off thousands in equity already, can you afford to buy in these suburbs you mentioned(had to double check and you have mentioned, some of the most expensive suburbs in Sydney which is already one of the most expensive cities in the world).

When did your friends move to Balmain, as over 10 years ago would have been great for an expat with the conversion rate.

Sydney while still an amazing city is now not anywhere I would want to move too, unless you have a very amazing salary to cover the actual living costs(Australia gerneral high cost of living, but the actual rent and more so the actual costs of buying a property).

Sorry not trying to be negative, but please review your locations for rentals and then buying to be firmly settled since you mentioned you want your kiddies settled in school and guessing/assuming you do not want to move from this/these areas.

Thanks. Yes, I'm from London originally so know all too well about house prices. No intentions of buying in Sydney, we might do a years, then move out or to VIC (we have 3 sets of friends there) after London and New York sydney is my fave place in the world. I'm a city girl through and through. Both me and hubby will probably be earning 50-100% more in oz so although rent is crazy we're hoping salaries will balance it out :)

Hi Lucy Jane,

Good luck

Thank you! Yes my son is footie mad, he's a winger, my little girl is into swimming and ice skating. I've seen the balmain swimming club and nearby park - kids loved it. Also been looking into figure skating facilities. The area reminds me of stoke newington in London, where I lived for 10 yrs before moving to the midlands. Will defo get a long term let! [emoji106]

Hi Lucy Jane,

Good luck

Hi, just ref the container coming out, how do you know where to send it? Probably a silly question, sorry! But I'm thinking if we're doing a holiday let for 5 weeks but our stuff arrives 3 months later, how do I know what address to give them? Do they just deliver to the port then you tell them where you want it on arrival? Sooooo many questions [emoji4]

Hi all,

My question is, how easy it is to rent something before we arrive, my original plan was to do an airbnb for a month, but i want to live in the area we settle in so the kids can get sorted with schools quickly.

Could I offer to pay 3 months rent upfront to secure something or is that madness? I.e. Handing my money over! We won't have jobs before we arrive, so not sure where we stand rental prospects wise, esp if competition is fierce.....

Hi Lucy, when we moved in 2007 we secured a holiday rental for 2 weeks but then managed to rent a house before we came. It was brand new and we had to pay the bond and start paying rent before our arrival (around 2 months if I remember correctly) so having done this imagine our surprise on arrival when our rental was not even ready to move into!!!! There are some unscrupulous people out there. I would wait until you get here for definite.

Hi Lucy, when we moved in 2007 we secured a holiday rental for 2 weeks but then managed to rent a house before we came. It was brand new and we had to pay the bond and start paying rent before our arrival (around 2 months if I remember correctly) so having done this imagine our surprise on arrival when our rental was not even ready to move into!!!! There are some unscrupulous people out there. I would wait until you get here for definite.

Thank you. Appreciate all the feedback :)

We just put the address of someone that OH would be working with (with their permission), and then as soon as our relocation agent had sorted our rental we phoned and changed it to that. Perhaps you could put the name/address of a friend in Sydney? You'd just need to change it when you found a home.

Hi, just ref the container coming out, how do you know where to send it? Probably a silly question, sorry! But I'm thinking if we're doing a holiday let for 5 weeks but our stuff arrives 3 months later, how do I know what address to give them? Do they just deliver to the port then you tell them where you want it on arrival? Sooooo many questions [emoji4]

You can just say Sydney metro for now with exact address to TBA when you arrive. Moving companies are used to this. I have done it in the past and am doing so again for my move to Perth next week.

Agree with all comments on here. There's some real crap out there. And the nice ones get snapped up fast, people offer to over pay. It's tricky!

Because costs are generally high, I don't think there's any lucky deals. We found both times we rented we looked at loads of places, which can get pretty tiresome too. You really need to see for yourself, and get a feel for lots of places to know you are getting something ok for the money.

Thanks. Yes, think we'll do long term holiday let and see places there, at $900 a week it needs to be freaking awesome! :)

you might be disappointed we paid $800 a week for a three bed East of Adelaide ( now let for $850) nice but not awesome. Things on line are usually cheap for a reason.

Our holiday let was $1200 a week (2014) in holiday season, but cheaper and better than an hotel.