The first three months and how it has been.

The Raillys

So we have been here just over three months and are surprised how settled we are already.

Found a great rental in Moreton bay area (North of Brisbane and still just a 40 minute train journey to the CBD.)

WORK

In London I worked as a contractor and freelancer in the Tech industry. I really wanted to continue this in Brisbane.

I found my first contract before I even left the UK and was working within 3 days of touch down.

Everything has been great but now my contract is ending I am finding it very hard to find my next piece of work.

I have had some situations which have really made me think that the Brisbane Contract market is seriously behind the times.

I was offered a contract earlier this week, however they decided to change the offer that I originally applied for. It was an averagly paid day rate. And they wished for me to be on a fixed term contract - which was essentially a salary without any benefits. This happened after the interview and after they decided they wanted me.

I would have never gone for the interview, had of this been the offer to begin with. This is something I never experience in 12 years of contracting in London, and it seems to me there is a serious misunderstanding of what a contractor is.

I also was rejected for a 6 month contract by a company as they said I appeared to be a "serial contractor" Which begs the question, why are they looking for a contractor?

Also in my current contract they refused to respond to requests to renew my contract, which is fine if they did not want to renew, but some level of communication is required. I found out they are not renewing my contract via a forwarded email from the payroll person. Know one in the office has spoken to me not even an email. Its no big secret as a contractor that these things end, but the way they have ignored me and not communicated with me I feel is very unprofessional and also something I had never experienced in the UK.

I am now seriously considering living in Sydney Monday to Friday (living in a hotel away from my husband) As the contract rates are nearly twice as high as Brisbane and I get the impression they understand how to treat a contractor.

HEALTH

Within 3 months of being in Australia I have finally got a diagnosis. For a Year and a half in the UK I was back in fourth from my GP getting one test and not getting any resolution on what was wrong with me. Here in Australia I can wake up in the morning and get an appointment on that day, and they will run multiple tests at one time. Something the NHS can not do. However of course it costs... I get some bit rebate on Medicare but I realise health insurance is required and it is not cheap.

Something that really shocked me was something a Doctor said to me.

I have to have an operation and the doctor was saying to me I have to rest up for a few days after and he said "So no shoe shopping"

Ok he is trying to be funny but sorry that comes across as a bit sexist and patronising to me. Pretty unprofessional again...

LIFESTYLE

I am so much happier here than in London. The weather, space (especially on trains) and friendliest are the main things that keep me happy.

However if I have to work in Sydney this may all change..

Edited by The Raillys

Personally I would think very carefully about the Sydney contracting. I did it for a very short time (not in IT) and hated it. Many do it as the airport is ultra busy Monday morning and Friday evening with the scrum picking up commuters on Friday testifies.

Hotels anywhere near the CBD are pricey too.

Your colleagues all go home at the end of the day and you can be left Billy-no-mates night after night. But I am older so it really didn't suit me at all.

Hope your luck changes in Brisbane.

The doctor may have a wife who loves buying shoes so makes daft assumptions. Wouldn't read too much into that particular comment but, having said that, I find that the comments I hear on an infrequent basis from some older men a bit of a throwback. Mind you I think they are probably shared equally by the same generation back in the UK but they are more inclined to share them with their own circle.

Thanks for your comments,

Actually cheered me up a bit!

I think you are right about commuting to Sydney, just looked at the prices of AirBNB there and realised I might be worse off even with the higher pays and likely to hate it, being away from husband and cats. The busy city thing I hated in London and the whole reason I moved here was to get away from that. How are you finding Brisbane? I assume you work in Brisbane?

I cannot give you the benefit of any first-hand experience of working in Brisbane. I am in the lucky position of being able to take early retirement now (I am 56). I too worked in London and became totally worn out by the rat race. Thought I could handle it again when I came here hence getting work in Sydney last year but it just brought it home to me that I have had enough of it.

We don't have a mortgage and live quite frugally compared to most so can eke out our savings until eligible for our private pensions from the UK.

If I could do some part-time work locally that was not too demanding I would consider it but frankly I am enjoying the heat and the lifestyle too much so not actually even looking at the moment.

My wife is still working (from home) as a contractor part time and enjoys it.

Nice post and refreshing to get an honest view. It's been exactly a month since we landed and being in Sydney at the moment, I want to echo what other posters have said. Yes, compared to London even Sydney seems a very friendly place but it isnt as friendly or easy as Melbourne. I am in the tech world too and just started my job hunt. There are twice as many IT roles (contract, perm and fixed term) in Sydney than Melbourne but we are heading out to Melbourne. Sydney CBD is dead after 6pm, and there arent too many places to hang out although for 4 working evenings you will manage. It will get boring unless you have work friends living close to the CBD but again, you are a seasoned contractor, so 4 days/3 nights away from home is no biggie for better contractor pay

Agree about the professionalism and Aussie meaning of contractors. Many of my friends have worked 'fixed term' which is literally permie pay with no benefits so the employee/contractor takes all the risk for no monetary gain. Some contract roles are there too but considering the entire IT market I guess it isnt a lot. There are contract roles that give paid leave and super (guess it's mandatory) but this becomes a pseudo contractor/fixed term role. Yep, things are quite hazy here

End of the day though, all this is probably part of a much more relaxed and happier approach to life, so I am sure most of us really don't care the compromise for a lovely lifestyle and more smiles on the streets.

Best of luck with the hunt and your operation, safe travels!

KnK

I also work as a contractor in the tech industry, and can definitely can be described as a 'serial contractor' :)

I think you may have just been unlucky. I've recently moved up to Brisbane (currently working on the Gold Coast) after four years contracting in Melbourne. I've had zero issues in any of my roles so far. I was speaking to one company about a contract role, which suddenly changed to a fixed term - but that instantly ended my interested.

Personally I'd try another role in Brisbane before considering working away. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Guest The Pom Queen

Glad you feel settled here. I do agree with the others in not moving to Sydney. Yes the wages are higher but this will be taken up with the cost of living plus the emotional stress of being in a new country with no friends and no support from your partner. Try giving Brisbane another shot. Not all companies are the same although I must admit the Aussies do seem to struggle with communication at times. Not all of them but some, especially with emails.

Glad you feel settled here. I do agree with the others in not moving to Sydney. Yes the wages are higher but this will be taken up with the cost of living plus the emotional stress of being in a new country with no friends and no support from your partner. Try giving Brisbane another shot. Not all companies are the same although I must admit the Aussies do seem to struggle with communication at times. Not all of them but some, especially with emails.

I was thinking along the same lines. I worked in Sydney for roughly 6 months, knew no-one (although did make some friends) and found it tough. I actually found Sydneysiders to be all about who has the biggest car, diamond, what my OH earned etc.. not tarring everyone with same brush however as it was only 6 months and I didn't meet everyone! I would say give Brizzy another shot too. Would you ever think about not contracting?

The reason I want to stay contracting is I am trying for a baby. I wan to save as much as possible. Even if I took a full-time job I would be unlikely to get maternity pay as you need to be with a company 13 months to get it.

Its hard as I can't really explain this to people as I am likely to get no job at all.

My Husband got fired from his job with no explanation via email! We tried calling and emailing for an a reason and no response.

Is this really the way people act in Australia?

Sorry to hear this. Not that I have come across.

Was he on a trial period? Like a 3 month one where they can opt to end it at any point within that time with no notice/explanation required? That is the only reason I can think of that he might have had notice this way. That or the company/person is unprofessional.

ETA - Or employed on a casual basis? Although people generally get given some notice I would hope but I've heard of one or two simply not being needed anymore so job over.

Edited by Guest
eta

Guest The Pom Queen
My Husband got fired from his job with no explanation via email! We tried calling and emailing for an a reason and no response.

I am so sorry to hear this. I think it depends on the company.

Not many companies employ on a permanent basis and a lot are casual once they like your work they may make you permanent part time and then full time. A lot employ you on a casual basis so that they can just drop your shifts/hours without notice etc.

Yep a rubbish casual contract the guy will not even give a specific reason why he has been fired. He just says general performance, which is not helpful at all.

Trying to stay positive now, but just had my op on Wednesday and feeling rubbish makes positivity hard.

Something good has to happen soon

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they are very unprofessional and i am so over it after 12 years. We are planning to go home within two years....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk