Toilet paper recommendations

Wooba

You know sometimes when you do a poo and your bum is a filthy mess afterwards and you need a quarter of a roll to clean up.

And then other times you feel like you have won tattslotto when a hard log pops out and no mess at all and the toilet paper is clean.

Life is such a mystery !

I want to perfect the diet that requires minimal clean up after a poo.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
You know sometimes when you do a poo and your bum is a filthy mess afterwards and you need a quarter of a roll to clean up.
And then other times you feel like you have won tattslotto when a hard log pops out and no mess at all and the toilet paper is clean.
Life is such a mystery !
I want to perfect the diet that requires minimal clean up after a poo.

That would be a plant based whole food diet then. Plenty of other benedits too...
  • Like 1

only just seen this thread so a little late joining!! but I am going to be controversial here and say its wipes all the way....loo roll is present in all our bathrooms as is a packet of flushable wipes and for us its wipes all the way!! Incredibly, this all came about from a project (a few years ago) that involved researching squat toilets and the pro's/cons (a construction project that was required to factor in diversity needs), the research showed that loo roll didn't clean up as well as wipes, I found the whole thing quite gross but nevertheless reverted to wipes, particularly after attempting to clean up a baby with loo roll when I had run out of wipes and finding that it was virtually impossible without causing a sore bottom through very vigorous scrubbing with dry tissue, it made me think and i was converted, flushable wipes are the way forward!!

4 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

only just seen this thread so a little late joining!! but I am going to be controversial here and say its wipes all the way....loo roll is present in all our bathrooms as is a packet of flushable wipes and for us its wipes all the way!! Incredibly, this all came about from a project (a few years ago) that involved researching squat toilets and the pro's/cons (a construction project that was required to factor in diversity needs), the research showed that loo roll didn't clean up as well as wipes, I found the whole thing quite gross but nevertheless reverted to wipes, particularly after attempting to clean up a baby with loo roll when I had run out of wipes and finding that it was virtually impossible without causing a sore bottom through very vigorous scrubbing with dry tissue, it made me think and i was converted, flushable wipes are the way forward!!

The trouble is a lot of so called flushable wipes are mis labelled.

They don't degrade fast enough and you get a massive fatberg of wipes clogging up the sewers. They have been a huge problem in some places.

They are nice to use of course but very expensive too aren't they ?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Parley said:

The trouble is a lot of so called flushable wipes are mis labelled.

They don't degrade fast enough and you get a massive fatberg of wipes clogging up the sewers. They have been a huge problem in some places.

They are nice to use of course but very expensive too aren't they ?

I was going to say the same thing. 

5 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

To test if the ones you buy really are flushable, put one in your washing machine and see if it degrades after a normal cycle. If not then it shouldn't go down the toilet as it will be getting stuck somewhere! You could use washable wipes as an alternative. Not everyone's cup of tea but cheaper and more environmentally friendly than wipes. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

only just seen this thread so a little late joining!! but I am going to be controversial here and say its wipes all the way..

From the Sydney Water website....but they all say the same: 

Please let your family and friends know to never flush ANY wet wipes down the toilet

75% of sewer  blockages involve flushed wet wipes.

https://www.sydneywatertalk.com.au/wet-wipes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SarahL said:

I was going to say the same thing. 

To test if the ones you buy really are flushable, put one in your washing machine and see if it degrades after a normal cycle. If not then it shouldn't go down the toilet as it will be getting stuck somewhere! You could use washable wipes as an alternative. Not everyone's cup of tea but cheaper and more environmentally friendly than wipes. :)

Even if it degrades after a normal cycle, that's not  good enough.   The biggest risk of blockage is in the early part of the pipe, before it gets exposed to much agitation.  

Even the manufacturers themselves say, don't use more than two.  

Our apartment block is brand new, has only been occupied for a year, and already we've had to have fatbergs removed from the drains  - mostly made up of "flushable" wipes.

http://choice.flushbusters.e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1965&ea.campaign.id=42685

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Flushable wipes are terrible for the systems. A pointless product that is really bad for the systems and environment. 

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/beauty-and-personal-care/skin-care-and-cosmetics/articles/flushable-wipes

https://www.choice.com.au/about-us/media-releases/2017/july/flushable-wipes

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think the Arabs and Asians have the right idea - wash it off.  

This all goes back to when the squat toilets were being researched!!!! One finding I found interesting was that we can’t squat like Asian’s  and arabs, apparently were not used to it, have to say I’m my case I wouldn’t argue...oh I can feel the pain I’m my calf’s thinking about it ha ha!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix16 said:

I can’t argue with any of your comments... you’ve certainly made me think, although I don’t think I’m brave enough to try the washing machine suggestion ?! 

We only use washable wipes for our toddler but they are so much better than baby wipes for cleaning him up! Mind you we also use cloth nappies so it's not really an issue with the washing as we are already doing a separate wash for those. 

10 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

This all goes back to when the squat toilets were being researched!!!! One finding I found interesting was that we can’t squat like Asian’s  and arabs, apparently were not used to it, have to say I’m my case I wouldn’t argue...oh I can feel the pain I’m my calf’s thinking about it ha ha!!!

We can actually, it just takes practice.   Find a solid bench or bar you can hold on to (with both hands in front of you) then let it take your weight as you squat down. It's an exercise we should all do every day.   

Apparently in countries where people use squat toilets, there are fewer hip and knee problems because everyone has to get into that squat position at least once a day, and it keeps the joints oiled.

Also if you've researched squat toilets, you know we should all have a footstool in the toilet and put our feet on that when having a poo, to get the pelvis at the correct angle to prevent heam - haem - hemord - piles.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Since starting this topic, I've tried the costco brand. They are indeed softer than quilton, but I found it not as strong and needed doubling up. I didn't like it and was glad when it was over. I've gone back to quilton and will be sticking with that.

That said, I was in Japan not that long ago and fell in love with the bidet toilet seats there. They will be part of my everyday life soon!

Edited by Wooba
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2018 at 21:32, Wooba said:

That said, I was in Japan not that long ago and fell in love with the bidet toilet seats there. They will be part of my everyday life soon!

I couldn't believe how bad the bog paper was over there, even in the 5* hotels.  Until I came to the realisation that you don't need it!