AHPRA In Person...

DukeNinja

Wow. They've changed the rules since I had to present then. I had a principal registration letter that was valid for a year! I just made sure I had a new police check and certificate of good standing that was within the three month validity period before presenting.

I had previously opened a bank account with nab 10months before I left the UK (you can open a migrant bank account up to twelve months before you enter Australia) and then when I arrived in Sydney, I went to the bank to get a stamped letterheads paper with my colleagues address on who I was going to be living with until I found a place.

I wonder if you could use a friends address in Perth? Or maybe use the air bnb address and make sure they save any correspondence for you until you next enter WA or forward if back to you in the UK?

• 8 months later...

Is it definitely ok to use an address which you are not actually living at? Don't the banks require proof of address to open an account?

We will be validating our visas in May 2018 and hope to be able to present in person at the aphra office during this trip. I have friends in Brisbane who may let me use their address if I did as you guys have and pre-opened a bank account? I guess I could then ask them to forward documents to me in the UK as soon as the account is opened. Does it matter if an account is sitting inactive for some time? I would prefer not to use the airbnb we will be using for a short trip of 10 days as might look dodgy to the home owner!

Edited by aurora

7 hours ago, Richard Gregan said:

You can use an address that you are staying at such as a hostel or rented apartment, but a friend or family member's Australian address is a good option if you have it.

You need to bring proof of your visa (grant letter) and your registration in principle, as well as ID (passport).

Regards,

Richard

Thanks Richard.

So the bank won't require proof of me living at an address in order to open an account? Just seems a rather pointless exercise on AHPRAs behalf, asking for proof of address when it actually isn't that.

I opened an Aus bank account in the U.K. but when I arrived I had no proof of address other than a receipt for the holiday rental I was in. I went to the bank first to pick up my bank card and they used the address of the receipt as my residence. Thank goodness because that opened a door for everything else. I got a printed out statement from them so armed with this I was able to go straight to ahpra and with my passport, visa and job offer letter, AHPRA activated my registration. With the bank statement with my address I was also able to get medicare and driving licence, mobile phone contract and get a ‘proper’ rental contract with a real estate agent.

In addition i opened my bank account in the U.K. 9 months before I got to Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1