Retirement in Australia?

theleggates

I am hoping to emigrate back to Australia (previously been on a 457 but now back in Scotland) with my family on a 189 visa but one of our sticking points is my inlaws being a huge miss to us and our children. I know they can visit and stay for 3 months but I was wondering is it possible for them to stay longer? My father in law was saying he would love to spend 6 months in Australia with us and then spend the other 6 months back in Scotland. I have read some info on retirement visas but not sure if they would be eligible or if there is any other kind of visa that would allow them to do this?

My father in law is 65 in March and his wife is 63. Any info would be much appreciated as it could be a deciding factor in us making a permanent move!

I may have just found the answer to my own question! I have found you can get a 6 month holiday visa subclass 676 which sounds like it would be suitable for them to come for the 6 months

My parents managed to do that for 15 years until they turned 80 then thought it was all going to be a bit too hard to manage the travelling. They had a granny flat on our block and a home in UK - idyllic really but in the end they decided the UK was the long term better option for them

Lots of people come for 6 months and just pop over to NZ / Fiji /Bali or somewhere in the middle to commence a new holiday visa.

If they want to come on a permanent visa, I think it is really expensive at that age ($50-60k). There is a cheaper option where you apply for a different type of visa (think it's a family reunion or something). There is a 30 year waiting list and you get a bridging visa in the meantime. From a practical point of view, a lot of people have died by the time they get to them. I know of a few people who have brought parents over this way. Not sure what they are entitled to regarding medicare etc when on the bridging visa.

Sorry I don't know more details, somebody with more experience can probably give the details and clarify or correct the above. A migration agent may be worth a visit.