Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ste,Kaz & kids

NOT ENOUGH POINTS, SHOULD I FLY OUT TO FIND SPONSORSHIP ????

Guest Ste,Kaz & kids

Hi,

We have had a brief assessment from "Concept Australia" and are a few points short of the criteria, and wondered if it would be worthwhile to travel to Australia to seek sponsorship.

I gained an ONC in Building Studies in 1988 & HND in Civil Engineering in 1995 but set up my own small construction company, (extensions, refurbs) in 1999 employing between 2 - 10 men depending on workload. I have always been good with my hands and have now become very competent at most trades, bricklaying, joinery, roofing, tiling etc as well as maintaining the day to day running of the sites, but do not have any certificates for these trades, so my problem is finding a category and not having worked for other companies with these trades.

We would love to live in Perth or Adelaide and i am sure i could be a good asset to somebody elses company. Does anybody think it would be worthwhile flying out for a month or so to look around for sponsorship or are the companies over there not really interested in people turning up out of the blue, or does anybody have any similar experiences good or bad,

Ste, Kaz & Kids

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Steve

My sister lives in Perth and I have some good friends in Adelaide too.

If you are interested in Perth, I would suggest that you give Phil Olsen a ring. He is the "resident agent" on the Poms in Oz forum and he has been extremely helpful to a group of truckies. Phil got in touch with the biggest firm of hauliers in WA and persuaded them that they needed 5-10 HGV drivers. He also convinced them to prefer the idea of sponsoring these drivers for PR straightaway.

A man who is prepared to go the extra mile in order to help would-be migrants in this way gets my own vote every time. In your shoes, I would talk to Phil about the possibilities before making a speculative trip out to Oz. He might be able to get some interviews lined up for you in Perth, maybe?

Look on http://www.pomsinoz.com I would suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Steve

Drop me a line with your details.

Have you looked at the Business Skills Visa, if you had your own business in the UK.

Anyway, let me know more and I'll see what i can come up with

Phil

Guest Ste,Kaz & kids

Thanks Gill,

I will contact him, its nice to know that there is a helping hand out there

cheers,

Steve.

Guest oz we go

Hi Phil i am a HGV class one driver and have read some of your older posts just wondering if you were still in the forum and in the position to offer advice or help to drivers wishing to emmigrate.