What school year will my child join?

MichaelDS

Hi, moving to Sydney around March/April, have a 9 year old daughter.

1) what school year will she join, she is half way through year 5 in UK right now?

2) will it be easy enough for her to start school in March/April?

Also have a 3 year old son, born in March, understand that he would not start school until he is 5 years old?

Thanks in advance!

Michael.

Hi, moving to Sydney around March/April, have a 9 year old daughter.

1) what school year will she join, she is half way through year 5 in UK right now?

2) will it be easy enough for her to start school in March/April?

Also have a 3 year old son, born in March, understand that he would not start school until he is 5 years old?

Thanks in advance!

Michael.

1. It depends when her birthday is. The school year runs January to December.

2. I don't see why not? It's not going to be the start of the school year, but you can join at any time.

Isn't kindergarten 4-5 year olds?

In Victoria children have to be 5 by the end of April to start school that Year not sure if it's the same for NSW.

My daughter is 5 in May so doesn't start school till Jan 2018, she is starting kindergarten this year (can't wait)

Good luck

Hey, thanks for quick reply, daughter DOB is 23.06.07

She is *just* within the NSW cut off (31 July) for being in year 5 in 2017. You will find that the majority of kids her age will be in year 4 though, in year 5 she is almost certain to be the youngest

My son is 05.06.07 and about to start Year 5. He is the youngest in his year by some distance, most of his classmates turned 10 in 2016 and some will be 11 before the start of the school year when he's only 9 and a half

You can put her in either year but I'd suggest year 4 will be a better choice as there is enough to deal with in the move and change without being a year younger than eeryome else and having to manage starting part way through a year with different subjects and teaching style

Edited by northshorepom

Also: in NSW you have to be in school by age 6 but can start from 4.5, depends on the child and the birth day.

It's all about the cut off, which in this state is 31 July. A child born in March 2013 can start school in Jan/Feb 2018 (age nearly 5) or Jan/Feb 2019 (age nearly 6)

It's fashionable to start later but it depends on the child, your choice, and personal circumstances. Many parents welcome the end of expensive daycare/preschool and the start of free school....

My daughter was born 28 Feb 2013 (you're not my inverse twin, are you?) and will be going to school in Jan 2018.

First year of school proper is called "Kindy" here. Then it goes up. Primary school is K-6, high school 7-12

Edited by northshorepom

My daughter was born 11 July 07 - she is going into year 4. There are some slightly older but most of her friends are younger by 4-6 months. She will be 10 this year, but has a few friends that are only turning 9 in Jan/Feb this year. We could have started her in school a year early but she would have been the youngest by up to 18 months so decided to keep her back and start her at 5 and a half.

Yes, I'd say that's normal. You'll find kids born Jan-March in either year, most people with kids born April-july would tend to hold them back. Kids born from August to December don't have a choice

The next youngest kid in my son's year is a late March baby so he's youngest by over 2 months

Edited by northshorepom