Booking seats

I'd rather fly with Easyjet than Emirates but that's a whole different post!

I am surprised you have to pay to pre-book seats with Emirates though - I thought that was the preserve of budget airlines. I did find they were one of the least 'family friendly' airlines & I am still shocked we were told to go and buy bottled water for our very hot and thirsty five year old at Dubai airport when we asked at the gate if they could get him some water - we couldn't go and buy any as we were only transiting and had no currency.

Travelling with a very young child I found Lufthansa and BA both excellent - BA are still the only airline that I know of that provides 'toddler seats' for 6 month - 2 year olds completely free.

I'm not an Emirates fan but it was a cheap flight and came in well under any of the others available at the time. I'd much rather gone via Singapore but there were no shorter stopovers, it was all 8-12 hours plus and some hitting 24 hours. I don't have time for that.

The reason I have to pay to book seats is its a 'sale' ticket. I can reserve them from 24 or 48 hours before departure if I need to. Some long haul airlines do this now.

Just seeing if anyone on here has any experience of this...

Booked a flight, return, for one adult and one child. Child under 13 at time of travel. Did not reserve seats but have option to pay a fee and book them at a later date.

My question is, the airline blurb states a child will always be seated adjacent to accompanying adult. So is it possible to just pay the booking fee to reserve one seat when flying two together, for the child only? Based on adult will be seated with them? Just curious as kids fee is $28 and adults seat booking fee is $50 plus. If I can save the $50 each way it'd be nice.

I'm also going to try to call the airline or email them and enquire but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had done this. Thanks in advance :)

Probably depends on the airline. I know unbelievably Ryanair somehow allow young children to be separated from a parent. That may have changed however as it was a few years ago a colleague told me about their experience.

I did see, on a recent search online for flights, that if an Emirates flight is operated by Qantas you have to pay for seats (not an Emirate flight fully operated by Emirates). May have misread tho as it was late when I was online.

Edited by Guest

I'd rather fly with Easyjet than Emirates but that's a whole different post!

I am surprised you have to pay to pre-book seats with Emirates though - I thought that was the preserve of budget airlines. I did find they were one of the least 'family friendly' airlines & I am still shocked we were told to go and buy bottled water for our very hot and thirsty five year old at Dubai airport when we asked at the gate if they could get him some water - we couldn't go and buy any as we were only transiting and had no currency.

Travelling with a very young child I found Lufthansa and BA both excellent - BA are still the only airline that I know of that provides 'toddler seats' for 6 month - 2 year olds completely free.

really? They have huge transit lounges with heaps of shops that take multiple currency and credit cards? I doubt they would keep water on a gate. It's just a gate. And if they did it for one, there would be a queue. They would have to leave the desk and get it off the plane. I travel Emirates all the time and they are very family friendly. Never had a problem, always fantastic. Dubai airport used to be a pain, but that is working well now too. Edited by newjez