Waterfront Expensive Perth Lunch

flag of convenience

Well why did you go there? A quick glance at the menu would have told you it would be expensive so you must be a sucker too.

Because this is Perth and options for 'cheap' are limited. Because I have been going to that particular establishment since about 2004 when sanity over pricing prevailed. As such it became a regular haunt and wanted to revisit, as do on occasion.

No $13 for Nasi Goring is rather cheap by Perth standards, beef burger at $21 now standard. $13 pints more out of whack, but hardly unheard of in the city. A sucker would have been someone ordering main menu offerings and gulping down several pints.

Because this is Perth and options for 'cheap' are limited. Because I have been going to that particular establishment since about 2004 when sanity over pricing prevailed. As such it became a regular haunt and wanted to revisit, as do on occasion.

No $13 for Nasi Goring is rather cheap by Perth standards, beef burger at $21 now standard. $13 pints more out of whack, but hardly unheard of in the city. A sucker would have been someone ordering main menu offerings and gulping down several pints.

Now that Perth is in a bit of a slump, these eateries may go bust unless their prices become more realistic.

Now that Perth is in a bit of a slump, these eateries may go bust unless their prices become more realistic.

Well some have introduced Happy Hours and specials, while others have gone to the wall. The Lucky Shag, has the advantage of a waterfront location, in an area under rapid change, along with being mentioned in tourist guide books and don't give a darn locals.

FWIW my take is this. We can afford it and because we can afford it we pay it and the staff get a really good wage. If we ever can't afford it then we'll eat in the lovely cafe next door that offers the same view or we'll bring our own picnic and eat nearby in the vast open spaces near. There are many options even on a lmited budget, even bring a Maccas down if people so wish. We might be daft silly or spoilt who knows. But it's called living and enjoying life. I don't smoke, and I drink wine which is still relatively cheap. I never drink bottled water, I drink tap . Plenty of ways to save but on eating out and enjoying views, well that's my treat.

FWIW my take is this. We can afford it and because we can afford it we pay it and the staff get a really good wage. If we ever can't afford it then we'll eat in the lovely cafe next door that offers the same view or we'll bring our own picnic and eat nearby in the vast open spaces near. There are many options even on a lmited budget, even bring a Maccas down if people so wish. We might be daft silly or spoilt who knows. But it's called living and enjoying life. I don't smoke, and I drink wine which is still relatively cheap. I never drink bottled water, I drink tap . Plenty of ways to save but on eating out and enjoying views, well that's my treat.

Are you the poster Que Sera Sera?

That makes two as I can afford it, but do I wish to pay inflated prices? The answer is no and have greatly restrained eating out occasions, which were a bit insane back in the nineties, I admit, at three or four evening meals a week not infrequent.

Perth was such an affordable place in those times regardless of what I did and folk still got decently paid. I agree eating out is more a treat now a days, but a shame all the same as high prices appear to become ingrained in the psychic.

Just looking at King O'Malleys (a central Canberra pub) a burger will set you back $22.90 not sure about beer, but last night I was paying $11 a pint at the old Canberra Inn (where a 'plain' burger is $19), so not too far of away from what you report as a rip-off Perth. Maybe the prices quoted are just what it costs these days? With a premium for location/view...

• Like 1

QA

I remember when the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh was called the Caledonian @Lady Rainicorn and it was THE hotel in those days. Fab place to stay and to have a meal. The menu you showed us was more than very reasonable and for eating in such a lovely establishment too.

My sister has moved from Putney in London to Edinburgh and is loving living there.

It'll always be the Caledonian to me, about 20 years ago when we still lived in the SE I had a client in Edinburgh and in those days business travel was business class so that is where they put me up - I was there Mon-Fri for several months. Lots of memories including the week I had to move out my room because it was booked by Sean Connery!

Do tell your sister to give the Brasserie a try, not sure when the seasonal menu ends but they do a similar pre-theatre and Sunday menu (kids eat free Sundays) & they do what look like fabulous theme nights - Whisky & Cheese tasting, that sort of thing. Hard for us with a 13 year old but might give one a try if the opportunity arises.

Just looking at King O'Malleys (a central Canberra pub) a burger will set you back $22.90 not sure about beer, but last night I was paying $11 a pint at the old Canberra Inn (where a 'plain' burger is $19), so not too far of away from what you report as a rip-off Perth. Maybe the prices quoted are just what it costs these days? With a premium for location/view...

Canberra has never been known for it's cheapness. Too many over paid public servants. Perth entered the frame as rip off city somewhere in the latter naughties I guess. These days? There's a recession in Perth, time reality reflected the times.

The Lucky Shag never really had competition before but now there are quite a few eateries that have opened up on Elizabeth Quay, so will that make the prices go down or have they brought their prices up to to align with the new boys. The new bars and restaurants surrounding have had very good reviews so time will tell. It's still the only "pub" in the vicinity so it will be interesting.

Canberra has never been known for it's cheapness. Too many over paid public servants. Perth entered the frame as rip off city somewhere in the latter naughties I guess. These days? There's a recession in Perth, time reality reflected the times.

Cheer up. Those civil servants haven't had raises since Abbott came to power.. Maybe it's you that is out of touch....

We've just had my Mum here for 3 weeks and have done a lot of eating and drinking out. What struck me is no-one seems to be skint, despite the wavering economy. Virtually everywhere we have been has been busy.

It is an expensive business though. I have differing thoughts on it, I paid 15 quid for a gourmet burger and chips last year in Liverpool (UK) and then 30 quid for a steak in Miller & Carter. We could have paid 5 quid in Wetherspoons but I wouldn't take my dog there. So, you can find expensive anywhere. And you are going to pay premium for a river view.

Still, overpriced I reckon.

I am in the UK just now and finding that prices are not that much different for lunch for 2 with a couple of drinks! Maybe if you go to Wetherspoons and eat microwaved cardboard it will be!

We went back in November and was pretty surprised at the price of meals out and only had one decent meal in four weeks. In fact we went for a roast in one pub and all eight of us had to send it back as it was so bad! £12.95 each! They didn't charge us thankfully. This was in Witney. Have to say it was nice paying less for a pint and we did have a steak and a pint for £10 in Weatherspoons! Not the best but ok when you just want to satisfy your hunger.

I was last there when The Force Awakens was out, as I went to see it with my mate and his 2 kids. We did Pizza Hut first, 60 odd quid, then the flicks, 12 quid a ticket. Cost about 130 quid in total. Can you imagine going the pictures here and it costing $260 for 4!!!! As if.

Don't say this very often but $10 a film and $5 pizza here, thank God.

I was last there when The Force Awakens was out, as I went to see it with my mate and his 2 kids. We did Pizza Hut first, 60 odd quid, then the flicks, 12 quid a ticket. Cost about 130 quid in total. Can you imagine going the pictures here and it costing $260 for 4!!!! As if.

Don't say this very often but $10 a film and $5 pizza here, thank God.

we get a family ticket for four for £20. Not sure about pizza hut, but can you really get $5 pizza at pizza hut? I must have missed it last time I was in Perth. I know you can get all you can eat in the UK with salad bar for a reasonable price. Been awhile so can't tell you exactly how much.

Tell us where you're eating in Sydney flag and what you think of the prices

It's pushed up a bit in the past 2 years I think. I didn't really realise until I ate out in Newcastle on Tuesday and was staggered at the smallness of the bill. Cost about $10 more for 4 of us to eat at a decent cafe/restaurant than going to Maccas does, and there was a beer & glass of wine involved

I have a theory that people are still spending on luxuries and eating out even if the economy is a bit dodgy.

I reckon if you are a homeowner you feel rich even if you don't have much money.

Most homeowners would have equity of hundreds of thousands of dollars if not well over a million.

So you feel rich and splurge on luxuries.

In Sydney there has been a boom in super luxury cars like Ferarri's due to the housing boom.

Look, you are living in the most isolated State Capital City in the world - a lot of produce is imported from the eastern states (goodness knows why we aren't more selsufficient, but it is), so what do you expect to pay? What you are actually paying is less than you would pay in London, Manchester, Bristol, Paris, Rome et al!! Apart from which you have the beautiful weather, the relaxed atmosphere etc. If you must go to the Lucky Shag of all places - especially any later that 11:30 in the morning, what do you expect - one of the busiest venues in Perth. There are other places in the city and in Fremantle which offer better value in a more relaxed atmosphere, and as other have pointed out, we have the Swan Valley on the doorstep, and also the wineries and restaurants in the Bickleigh Valley (which so few people seem to know about) - or you can always take a few days off and go down to Margaret River. Just be thankful you live in the relaxed place that you do and not the bustle of the eastern states or the rest of the world - just sit back and enjoy.

Dinned at the waterfront today, (Lucky Shag)only a slap up lunch, while doing business in the city. A place I often used to frequent, but my how the prices have risen and far too expensive for what it entailed.

The bill came to $73 for three pints of Heineken, the cheapest meal on the menu Nasi Goring along with a Burger Roll (very average) with small portion of fries served with.

The place was heaving. UK tourists out of towners and some locals, so the recession doesn't seem to be biting at that establishment yet.

Any one else find eating out in Perth absurd? Be leaving for Sydney on Wednesday and will be eating out there daily apart from a few meals with people I know in their homes. I wonder how I will find the comparison?

Since the opening of Elizabeth Quay the Lucky Shag prices have went up quite a bit. They are really cashing in on the location. I bought a pint of Asahi (which i think is brewed in Victoria) and was charged $15. Couldn't believe it!!

The food menu isn't as varied and as good as it used to be either. I tend to avoid the place now.

Since the opening of Elizabeth Quay the Lucky Shag prices have went up quite a bit. They are really cashing in on the location. I bought a pint of Asahi (which i think is brewed in Victoria) and was charged $15. Couldn't believe it!!

The food menu isn't as varied and as good as it used to be either. I tend to avoid the place now.

I may take one of those solar powered ferries when I'm there and eat in claisebrook. I expect it will be cheaper.

And I think you are absolutely right about the opening of Elizabeth Quay - it's a tourist trap, and the tourist knowing no better will pay the prices. The locals will soon catch on and the Lucky Shag and other venues in the area that have also hiked their prices will catch a cold because they will no longer get the party booking from locals that they used to get. As I said earlier there are much better and less costly venues in the CBD or Fremantle with much better quality food and much more generous portions. $15 for a pint of Asahi is London or Paris prices - and utterly ridiculous when you think that I bought 2 pints at the Aviary for $18 last Friday lunchtime. If the locals start to stay away the Lucky Shag and others will soo have to re-evaluate their policy. The problem is, with our weather, we are a year round destination and the tourist trade is there 365 days a year.