How will you spend Christmas?

I thought it would be interesting to see how different people will spend Christmas, we had this discussion at work over Christmas lunch and there was quite a difference in family traditions.

I'm working up to 23rd December and that evening going to a friends house for a Christmas Party with our children. We all met when our first babies were born and they are all 13 now. The mums I get together with most weeks but the kids go to 3 different schools and are not friends as such but when they get together they have a fantastic time, I think they are rather like cousins.

On Christmas Eve we will go to the cinema early evening - not decided yet whether to see Rogue One or Fantastic Beasts, not a Harry Potter fan & I am a Star Wars fan so the choice should be easy but I can't get excited about a spin-off somehow (& my head is starting explode at all the backwards and forwards in time. We'll then go out for pizza or something like that and get back in time to get our son to bed and have a few wee drinks (& probably still wrapping presents)

Christmas Day will be very traditional, up early to open presents and a bucks fizz breakfast & then I'll go and pick up my dad, more present opening and mince pies with dinner around 2pm - salmon for us as we don't eat meat, but with all the trimmings. Queen's speech (which me & our son will moan at but my OH insists - I remember the first time he came to my parents for Christmas dinner & he actually stood for the national anthem!) and then a family film. Boredom will start to set in and we'll eat more food for something to do :)

If the weather is nice then on boxing day we'll go for a bike ride or a walk something like that.

So what about you?

IF the weather holds, fishing from 5 AM to 8.30 AM, then pottering around the garden, making sure the orchids are well. Maybe a...definitely a nanna nap until lunch, then more pottering around the garden, looking after a dozen paw paw plants I planted a month ago.

Same as...

Cheers, Bobj.

Pizza Christmas eve, plus a last minute dash to the shop to see if there's anything cheap.

Stockings in the morning, then present hunt while I cook bacon sarnies and prepare the Turkey et al.

Then walk for a couple of hours, come back for lunch, then games. No TV or devices on Christmas day.

Boxing day, bike ride then long walk.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Just the 4 of us Christmas Day but Boxing Day down to Somerset with good friends.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

Just the two and a bit (the chihuahua) for Christmas.

I havent decided yet get on when to finish work as got a lot on, but hoping Thursday. In which case, Friday pop out for the last of the food shopping. A local farm will deliver the turkey early afternoon and I will brine it. Then wander into town for a couple of beers.

Christmas Eve, cooking and prep. Christmas cake is made, but will do gravy, stuffing, ice the cake, make the stuffing, prep veg.

Christmas Day, I will start the cooking then open presents. Relax for a bit then lunch and a nice walk in the woods - still hoping for some snow by then. We had sleet today. Then home, cuddle up on the sofa in front of a movie and too much chocolate and wine. Then puds and another quick dog walk.

Between christmas mass and new year we will see family.

New Year is unsure as we think the village makes a bit of a thing - tiny remote village in Scotland, so hoping some good fun. But what ever, we have each other and happy to celebrate another year having my wife and looking forward to another year with her.

Just the two and a bit (the chihuahua) for Christmas.

I havent decided yet get on when to finish work as got a lot on, but hoping Thursday. In which case, Friday pop out for the last of the food shopping. A local farm will deliver the turkey early afternoon and I will brine it. Then wander into town for a couple of beers.

Christmas Eve, cooking and prep. Christmas cake is made, but will do gravy, stuffing, ice the cake, make the stuffing, prep veg.

Christmas Day, I will start the cooking then open presents. Relax for a bit then lunch and a nice walk in the woods - still hoping for some snow by then. We had sleet today. Then home, cuddle up on the sofa in front of a movie and too much chocolate and wine. Then puds and another quick dog walk.

Between christmas mass and new year we will see family.

New Year is unsure as we think the village makes a bit of a thing - tiny remote village in Scotland, so hoping some good fun. But what ever, we have each other and happy to celebrate another year having my wife and looking forward to another year with her.

Just remember it's Hogmanay not New Year and make sure you know ALL the words to Auld Lang Syne :)

To our best friends' place for drinks on Fri 23. Same every year

Xmas Eve preparing food and final prep stuff. Same every year

Xmas Day up with kids for opening stockings, breakfast, then presents from others, then general lounging. Traditional UK-ish turkey roast dinner, swimming if the weather is nice. Same every year

Boxing day pool party/BBQ round our house for friends. Same every year

27th December pack up the car and off up the coast for a week over New Year. Same every year

I like summer Christmas :-)

Finishing work Wednesday, and I'll get some time to spend with hubby who's coming home from the mines. I'd finish sooner but not enough leave, bah. No plans other than food, drink, pool, hanging out with the cat and probably go for drinks with friends a few times. Oh, and we're going to a friends' house for NYE too.

We've spent a couple of Christmases in Hawaii, which was fab, but with hubby doing FIFO, and now owning our own house, home seems the best option now!

She'll be right!

Christmas Eve we are booked into a local winery for lunch and afternoon, they have some live music and it's a beautiful setting and we are going with some neighbours who are also good friends. Then I go to the airport to pick up my babies who are returning from a trip to the homeland and arrive back around 9pm. Home for some mince pies and mulled wine. Then Christmas Day, a lazy breakfast - bucks fizz, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, before putting the finishing touches on some desserts and canapes we are taking over to the brother in laws. Lunch and afternoon there, probably a bit of singing and general shenanigans, then home with the jetlagged travellers. Boxing Day their (the kids') friends might come over for food and drinks and catchups and at some point I'll cook a roast dinner..but kind of playing it by ear as not sure what their tiredness levels will be. Maybe up to he Community Garden at some point with a bottle and some mince pies to share :smile: I don't particularly enjoy Christmas but it's a chance to chill with the family. One of the things I think happens when you emigrate is your direct family unit becomes much closer, and often friends take the place of more distant family so there isn't so much of the obligation attached that I remember from back in the UK.

It'll be a low key one for us. We aren't religious so we don't celebrate it in a traditional way, and this year it is just the four of us (OH's parents were here for the last two years) so it'll be more relaxed than usual. I think OH has Christmas Eve off work, for the first time in years, although he is working Boxing Day instead. We'll probably get up as usual, have breakfast, let the kids open their presents and will then spend the rest of the day either in the pool or building LEGO/playing the card games that the kids get for Christmas. We'll probably have lamb chops and salad for dinner, and cheese/biscuits for either lunch or supper, depending on what we feel like and when. We may well spend some time with our friends who live opposite, they are American so they are away from their family too, so we've got a present for each of their children and will probably have a couple of drinks together which will be nice.

OH is working on NYE and won't be home until after 8pm, which is too late to take the kids to any family fireworks. We'll probably get up and watch the sun rise over the ocean on New Years Day, so it'll be early to bed to get up in time for that.

You'll probably all think I'm a bit of a Grinch, but I don't really like Christmas much. I make a bit of an effort so the kids don't feel left out, but I hate the craziness of it all.

It'll be a low key one for us. We aren't religious so we don't celebrate it in a traditional way, and this year it is just the four of us (OH's parents were here for the last two years) so it'll be more relaxed than usual. I think OH has Christmas Eve off work, for the first time in years, although he is working Boxing Day instead. We'll probably get up as usual, have breakfast, let the kids open their presents and will then spend the rest of the day either in the pool or building LEGO/playing the card games that the kids get for Christmas. We'll probably have lamb chops and salad for dinner, and cheese/biscuits for either lunch or supper, depending on what we feel like and when. We may well spend some time with our friends who live opposite, they are American so they are away from their family too, so we've got a present for each of their children and will probably have a couple of drinks together which will be nice.

OH is working on NYE and won't be home until after 8pm, which is too late to take the kids to any family fireworks. We'll probably get up and watch the sun rise over the ocean on New Years Day, so it'll be early to bed to get up in time for that.

You'll probably all think I'm a bit of a Grinch, but I don't really like Christmas much. I make a bit of an effort so the kids don't feel left out, but I hate the craziness of it all.

I'm a bit of a grinch too.

We have been invited to 3 lots of pre-Christmas drinks at friends houses and we are having friends here on the Friday evening. Our younger son in Sydney is spending Christmas with his girlfriend's family and they are coming here for New Year. Older son is in Ireland. It will be just the two of us on Christmas Day so will have a very nice quiet day. Will go for our usual walk then a drive to the Tamar Valley in the afternoon.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

Xmas eve down to coles and woolies just before closing to snap up all the markdowns for the freezer then just chillin' out with the boys in front of the telly with a few G&T's.

Up early Xmas morning (as is usual at Xmas) and give the boys their prezzies then into the kitchen for the rest of the day with a lunch break of bacon and egg butties. Ham to dress and cook, bbq ribs to cook, pork to cook, prawns to peel, cheesy garlic potatoes to bake, my special fried rice (served cold), pasta salad and tossed salad to prepare. other than the prawns, none of them are my favourites but with DIL and grandkids coming, (we eat around 7pm) it's their day as far as I'm concerned and they always ask to come so I must be making something that they like.............then, probably rat-faced :-)

They'll all be round again on Boxing day for the leftovers, and a bit more besides, along with a mate and his OH.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

We do the food shop xmas eve then normally go out for dinner, although not sure where to go this year as Outback Jacks was bobbins last time we went.

Xmas day and boxing day will be a cooked Ham and Turkey day, in and out of the pool just chilling, then after that we are going away for a few days to Mooloolaba, although the eldest not coming as he has his girlfriend now so it will be the first holiday without him really.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

On the 23rd I'm dog sitting for the first time when my friends Westie is coming to stay overnight. Bit of a novelty Xmas Eve being on a Saturday and hubby and I would both normally be working - but our evening will be the same - we'll make Christingles and have Chinese (sometimes hubby makes Paella), and just generally sit outside for hours chatting with the kids.

Xmas morning after pressie opening, we'll have brunch (breakfast bruschetta this year, pancakes, fruit). We have our Xmas meal in the evening - turkey and ham. Boxing day our friends usually come round - we pool left overs and cook some Salmon and lamb to add to it.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Family BBQ in the park this Saturday- think there are about 14 this year, some are o/seas. Christmas day family dinner at our place for some of family and grandchildren. Boxing Day down to other part of family in the bush. I have had 6 'break up' does this year for Probus and other clubs and a couple of Kris Kringles ( another one this w/end) NYEve party with Probus Club at the bowls club. Next year will be quieter I think because it is an 'off' year ( in laws turn for Christmas)- it gets a bit frantic. Tonight we are doing the annual Christmas light run with the 3 youngest grandchildren, there are some good ones nearby. We never did so much in the UK- used to be off to one or other's parents house for Christmas Dinner and that was about it.

Really not sure yet but at least it won't be in the caravan. We will be in our first Oz home but only getting our stuff Friday means there will probably be a road trip on the cards. OH has a distant cousin who lives in Adelaide. We've been invited over for Xmas on a come when you want and stay as long as you want basis. Kids wanna drive over Xmas eve and spend a few days there before coming back to finishing the unpacking. I've got work Thursday, Friday & Saturday so we'll want to be back Tuesday I'd think.

driving back to spend Christmas with all the family ... got to make the most of the family from the UK as they fly back not long after Christmas ... granddaughter , her partner , their cat and manic dog will be sleeping at my home ... all the ornaments packed away as the cat loves to climb and knock things off ... they insist on opening presents at the crack of dawn so no leisurely cuppa for me ... but lots of fun and good food ...

My youngest daughter and me. Eldest is at her boyfriends. Had a **** year so no tree, no presents and if I can stretch to a couple of bits of salmon for Christmas dinner I will be a relatively happy camper.

My youngest daughter and me. Eldest is at her boyfriends. Had a **** year so no tree, no presents and if I can stretch to a couple of bits of salmon for Christmas dinner I will be a relatively happy camper.

I hope 2017 is a better year for you x

Do you mean no presents for your daughter or yourself?

I hope 2017 is a better year for you x

Do you mean no presents for your daughter or yourself?

Thanks. I hope it's better too. No presents. Ex has been out of work since March and $1500 a month Centrelink may sound like a lot but it doesn't go very far at all. I just don't feel in the mood for any of it this year. Thankfully my girls are 14 and 19 and totally understand.

Thanks. I hope it's better too. No presents. Ex has been out of work since March and $1500 a month Centrelink may sound like a lot but it doesn't go very far at all. I just don't feel in the mood for any of it this year. Thankfully my girls are 14 and 19 and totally understand.

It is hard. We were in the same boat last year.

Wishing you a better 2017 though x

I know you've had a hard time of it. If you were in Brizzie I would have loved to alleviate a bit of what you've gone through. Stay happy......the kids are with you xx

It is hard. We were in the same boat last year.

Wishing you a better 2017 though x

Thanks VS.

I know you've had a hard time of it. If you were in Brizzie I would have loved to alleviate a bit of what you've gone through. Stay happy......the kids are with you xx

Thanks. I have been invited to numerous friends houses but I feel a bit of a funsucker so I have declined. After 4 years of hell I am hoping that 2017 brings me a job and from this all other things I want will come in time.

Thanks VS.

Thanks. I have been invited to numerous friends houses but I feel a bit of a funsucker so I have declined. After 4 years of hell I am hoping that 2017 brings me a job and from this all other things I want will come in time.

Don't decline, no matter how much you feel embarrassed by other folk knowing your business........if they've invited you, they value you, (and don't we all like to be valued?) don't know exactly how to express, but if you're feeling like a "funsucker" then you are allowing what's happened to suck the fun out of you. Do your best to "let go" because if you don't, it'll be a struggle to "move on"

Hope that doesn't sound patronising, despite personally feeling that it does, but I find it hard to express the "freedom" that can come from looking forward, and casting aside any bitterness, regrets, about the past

Sorry to hear that NB, I honestly do hope things improve for you and your family.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me.