Bridging visa once 457 expires ?

Footylad

Hey guys,

Any help greatly appreciated...

My 457 expires end of January 2017 and I am unsure if I can get another sponsor in time although I am actively looking and having interviews.

If I have not lodged anything before the visa expires will I get 60 or 90 days to leave or is there anyway of getting a bridging visa to give me more time to finalise with a new employer?

Thanks in advance....stressful times!

You only get a bridging visa when you have applied for another. If you don't have another to bridge to then you will have to leave, you can't bridge to nothing. You get 60 days to leave now. Don't forget that your current 457 employer is responsible for paying your fare back.

If you are still working for the sponsoring company, then they can simply get another 4 year visa. If you stop working for them, your 60 days starts as soon as you stop work. If your visa runs out while you are working, you will need to stop working and the 60 days starts. If you obtain another sponsor before the 60 days, a bridging visa may be available.

I would recommend you plan for both eventualities, including that you may have to return.

Hey guys,

Any help greatly appreciated...

My 457 expires end of January 2017 and I am unsure if I can get another sponsor in time although I am actively looking and having interviews.

If I have not lodged anything before the visa expires will I get 60 or 90 days to leave or is there anyway of getting a bridging visa to give me more time to finalise with a new employer?

Thanks in advance....stressful times!

If it expires it expires, you must lodge another visa application or leave by the expiry date.

You do not get expiry plus 60 or 90 days. The 60 or 90 days you may have read about refers to notice of cancellation. There is no notice to expiry, this is clear from the outset.

Thanks for your responses guys.

If I get to 2days before my visa expires and I still have not luck in finding a sponsor, would you agree it would be best to get my current employer to cancel my contract with the company which would end my 457 and then give me 60days to get another sponsor locked in?

Would I have to leave the country?

Thanks again.....

Been here for over 7 years, 2 young kids born here, wife has a small business and I still have one foot on the plane...what a joke.

If I get to 2days before my visa expires and I still have not luck in finding a sponsor, would you agree it would be best to get my current employer to cancel my contract with the company which would end my 457 and then give me 60days to get another sponsor locked in?

Thanks again.....

Been here for over 7 years, 2 young kids born here, wife has a small business and I still have one foot on the plane...what a joke.

I would strongly suggest you make an appointment with a good registered migration agent ASAP to look at options and I would do it sooner rather than later as options can decrease with time. I would also suggest you need to think long term. At the moment you are going to rely on any future employer also being willing to later sponsor PR and this is a high risk strategy, particularly as there is no way of guaranteeing they will ever do so - employers can simply change there mind and even if it is in the contract, it is not enforceable - I have worked in more than one company that has changed its policy to the detriment of current 457 holders.

Also the rues on doing so the rules may change / tighten - very possible.

If you do go for another 457, you should treat it for what it says on the tin. A temporary visa which has the expectation you will leave at the end of the visa duration.

There are a number of excellent agents who are members of the forum.

The 60 days only applies while your visa is still valid. If you have your employer cancel your contract 2 days before your 457 expires, it won't change the fact that you need a valid visa to remain in Australia beyond the expiry date.

Thanks again.....

This is not how it works. You must either leave the county or apply for another visa before your visa expires.

From your posts so far, it is clear that you are very confused and do not understand how the visa system works.

Do yourself a favour and obtain some professional advice before you make a mistake and become unlawful.

This is not how it works. You must either leave the county or apply for another visa before your visa expires.

From your posts so far, it is clear that you are very confused and do not understand how the visa system works.

Do yourself a favour and obtain some professional advice before you make a mistake and become unlawful.

+1

Best regards.

Thanks again.....

No I would not agree because it won't play out like that. If you or your employer inform immigration that your employment has ended, they will immediately see that the visa expires in two days anyway and would just let it happen. They are certainly not going to give you what would effectively be a 60 day extension.

With the Christmas holidays coming up, no sponsor in sight and a visa expiring in January, you really do need some urgent professional assistance to see if there are any other options to consider, but you really have left this very late and perhaps you are not appreciating the gravity of the situation. Have you even started to look into moving back to the UK, because right now that looks to be a very real possibility.

As an afterthought, your current employer is happy to see you go in January? Have they already give you redundancy notice?

As an afterthought, your current employer is happy to see you go in January? Have they already give you redundancy notice?
I've never seen this tested, but I've wondered in the past if it's up to the employer to offer redundancy. Perhaps they can take the stance that the position is still available and it's up to the employee to maintain legal status to be able to work in Australia. If it was a showdown, I'm not sure if it's up to the employer to offer redundancy or the employee to resign. This would be a question for Fair Work I guess.

I've never seen this tested, but I've wondered in the past if it's up to the employer to offer redundancy. Perhaps they can take the stance that the position is still available and it's up to the employee to maintain legal status to be able to work in Australia. If it was a showdown, I'm not sure if it's up to the employer to offer redundancy or the employee to resign. This would be a question for Fair Work I guess.

The last 457 that one of my clients took to 'Fair Work' for unpaid wages, super and tax and various verbal abuses, for which I would expect to be barred if I wrote them here, fell in a heap when the director deregistered the ABN holding company and deprived the tribunal of jurisdiction.