Current 457 holder to 186 Direct Entry, and travelling in process question/ BVB.

Hello,

I have been in Australia on a 457 for one year. Initially the plan was to apply for PR through the two year temporary residence Transition scheme, but the new plan is to apply for Direct Entry. I was told to expect it to take 6-12 months, and that was two months ago when they said they would apply for me. So far I have not been given any forms or anything to sign, and no indication as to if they have actually begun the process or not.

1.Has anybody been through this 457 to Direct Entry process, and what was the first thing that happened?

2. I am planning on a holiday early next year. I remember when researching the original 457 that there were recommendations about not travelling to/from Australia while visa is in progress in case it messes up the application somehow. Am I in danger of this if I were to go on holiday and at what point should I consider changing my plans? This is related to question 1 above, as if I leave for a holiday next week, I have no idea if I would be able to come back in or not as I don't know if my PR application has started. From what I can see I might require a Bridging Visa B.

If they have not begun the process, I am considering asking them to wait until after my holiday before they begin it..

Thank you!

1.Has anybody been through this 457 to Direct Entry process, and what was the first thing that happened?

The first step is to assess whether you meet the requirements for Direct Entry. The next step is to apply for a skills assessment.

2. I am planning on a holiday early next year. I remember when researching the original 457 that there were recommendations about not travelling to/from Australia while visa is in progress in case it messes up the application somehow. Am I in danger of this if I were to go on holiday and at what point should I consider changing my plans? This is related to question 1 above, as if I leave for a holiday next week, I have no idea if I would be able to come back in or not as I don't know if my PR application has started. From what I can see I might require a Bridging Visa B.

Thank you!

If your 457 is still valid, there is no issue traveling during the processing of the 186. If your 457 expires after lodgement, you will need to apply for a BVB before travel.

• Like 1

Hello,

I have been in Australia on a 457 for one year. Initially the plan was to apply for PR through the two year temporary residence Transition scheme, but the new plan is to apply for Direct Entry. I was told to expect it to take 6-12 months, and that was two months ago when they said they would apply for me. So far I have not been given any forms or anything to sign, and no indication as to if they have actually begun the process or not.

Yes. The first thing that happened with me was my employer confirming they'd do it, them appointing a visa agent, and then them contacting me to talk through the application. They then prepared draft visa forms and advised what I needed to obtain - police clearance certificates and the like - and I applied online for an appointment for medicals.

The whole process took about 6 months from starting the draft application to visa grant, but I didn't chase it particularly hard. Probably could have chopped 6 weeks off that if I'd tried hard. The actual lodgement-grant period was about 3 months.

I didn't need to do a skills assessment, but that's another thing to factor in the time if you need one

If they have not begun the process, I am considering asking them to wait until after my holiday before they begin it..

Thank you!

I'd start the process if I were you. There's a lot to sort out (getting evidence, documents etc, as above) before the visa application is actually lodged, and there's nothing to be gained by putting that off. You can be sure nothing has actually been applied for yet as you would have been asked to produce documents only you can obtain (eg police certs), you wold have been asked to attend a medical, you would have been asked to sign forms.

The first thing to do I would say is chase up if they are actually appointing a visa agent, and if so, who are they? And get started with them

• Like 1

Hi Northshorepom, Thank you so much, what an excellent reply and just what I needed to know.

I'm not sure if I'll need a skills assessment, but will assume yes to be safe. I wonder if it will end up taking as long as if I were to stay with the transitional route, but guess that's irrelevant now. You saying it took about 6 months is also encouraging, for when the process finally does begin. I am hoping to recycle much of the documents as for the original 457 application, but with added new Australian dimensions.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure if I'll need a skills assessment, but will assume yes to be safe.

A skills assessment is required if applying under the Direct Entry pathway unless you are exempt. The processing time for a skills assessment will depend on your occupation and the assessing authority.

You saying it took about 6 months is also encouraging, for when the process finally does begin.

6 months processing was under the old standards. Most ENS applications are currently taking approximately 8 months or more.