Medical for 189 Visa

Jennac

Hi,

We are lodging our 189 visa on Wednesday and are keen to complete our medical before Xmas. Is it likely we will be allocated a case officer within a couple of weeks or if we would be better off having Medicals and then applying for the visa?

Thank you

Hi,

We are lodging our 189 visa on Wednesday and are keen to complete our medical before Xmas. Is it likely we will be allocated a case officer within a couple of weeks or if we would be better off having Medicals and then applying for the visa?

Thank you

The recommendation is to take the medicals only when specifically asked to do so by a case officer. You are definitely not better off doing the medicals first.

The Must Make First Entry By date is typically 12 months after you complete the medical/police checks, whichever is first. If you want to complete the medicals up front, that's fine and it may make the visa processing go more quickly since there's no delay for the CO to wait for you to do this. But it would shorten the window for you to enter Australia to validate the visa once it's granted, and if the processing was delayed for any reason then you may need to do them over again. 189 applications don't typically take a year though.

Thank you. Just been researching further and am I right in thinking a HapID is created when I apply for the visa (after filling in the medical questionnaire) Could I book Medicals with this ahead of them being requested by a case officer using this? We want to emigrate in August so hopefully completing Medicals slightly early won't impact too largely.

You can get hapID before applying for visa so you can get medicals before applying...you need hapID to do medicals and can get it through myhealthdeclerations...I did This and also got police checks n form 80 done before being requested and got visa in 4 weeks so it may speed up process if U are ready for that

Thank you. Just been researching further and am I right in thinking a HapID is created when I apply for the visa (after filling in the medical questionnaire) Could I book Medicals with this ahead of them being requested by a case officer using this? We want to emigrate in August so hopefully completing Medicals slightly early won't impact too largely.

You can take medicals whenever you want, who is going to stop you? It just isn't recommended by the immigration department. They specifically advise against it in fact.

There is very little upside to doing it early, and I can see no upside at all for you with the timings you mention, but several possible downsides namely: it shortens visa validation time so if you have to change current plans for any reason it limits your options, if your application is delayed for any reason the medical could expire and need to be redone, if there is a problem with your application then you might have thrown even more money at this process by taking medicals when the visa application was going to be denied anyway.

What benefit do you perceive there to be in doing them early? Perhaps that is the question you should ask yourself, as I say, I struggle to see any benefit for you whatsoever with your plans as they are. I know it is very exciting to be applying for a visa and you maybe want to feel like you are "doing "something" and making progress, but try to put this aside and make an objective decision. If yu can find benefit that outweighs those potential downsides (which are the reasons immigration advises against it) then go for it.

If you’re planning to migrate in August, then doing the medical now wouldn’t be an issue. The date for your first entry would be November/December 2017 and you’d be travelling in advance of that.