Where to rent in Sydney?

ClaireKilbane

North shore hit the nail on the head with his post and agree with others that saying you can get a rental for $500 is totally unrealistic.

we lived in mona vale 2 bed town had partial sea views rental was $750 per week ( 14 months ago) it was recently up for rent $925 now.

Indeed we lived in Collaroy from 2010 to 2015 in a three bedrooms house, no pool, but a nice house. We started out thinking $800 a week would be sufficient but we soon learned and we paid $1,300 per week in the end. It is utterly absurd to suggest that $500 or even $800 is going to secure a decent house in Sydney.

We paid $800 per week for a 3 bed house close to Adelaide, it is now $850 per week. Some in North Adelaide go for over $1000 per week. I really can't imagine Sydney being cheaper!

If you see a bargain on the web there will be a reason..............

Rents have soared in the past few years around Sydney and Melbourne, like the house prices. Many sell for $100,000s more than the asking price. Look at the sold statistics for recent sales.

Again even in Norwood a nice area on the outskirts of Adelaide property goes for $800k with an old run down house on a decent block say 800 -900m2. Someone will knock it down and build two and sell them for over a mil each.

Sorry but, totally disagree with this comment.

I have lived in two really nice house rentals, in lovely areas of Sydney, near the water, with an easy commute to the CBD.

And the rent was less than $500.00 a week.

One of them had a massive garden and views too. The other within a five minute walk of water views and lifestyle.

Utter rubbish!

• 1 month later...

Hi Clarie,

Looks like I am in a similar situation like you, so I've stumbled upon this topic here.

I'm also considering to move to Sydney because of a job offer. I don't have kids tho, so my case is less complicated. I have been offered a job with a 457 visa too. Husband and I are thinking about this one very hard, mostly because of 457 related issues listed below by VERYSTORMY and northshorepom.

While we are thinking, we are also researching. :)

We would love to live in some family-friendly, pet-friendly, calm part of the city. Our best option would be something in Freshwater - because of a job location. I've googled a little bit and I've found some websites with suburb list and suburb profiles in Sydney. Maybe this will help you to get familiar with prices, schools, etc.

Good luck!

Hi Clarie,

Looks like I am in a similar situation like you, so I've stumbled upon this topic here.

I'm also considering to move to Sydney because of a job offer. I don't have kids tho, so my case is less complicated. I have been offered a job with a 457 visa too. Husband and I are thinking about this one very hard, mostly because of 457 related issues listed below by VERYSTORMY and northshorepom.

While we are thinking, we are also researching. :)

We would love to live in some family-friendly, pet-friendly, calm part of the city. Our best option would be something in Freshwater - because of a job location. I've googled a little bit and I've found some websites with suburb list and suburb profiles in Sydney. Maybe this will help you to get familiar with prices, schools, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you, that is really helpful, I will take a look. We are moving on the 20th March - ARRGGGHHHHH scary, but equally very exciting! I will let you know how we get on!

Totally different kettle of fish without kids Margot - don't let me put you off

I love Sydney and we came here on a 457 originally, leaving a fairly well off and settled life in the UK, it was just an opportunity, we weren't intending to emigrate but I doubt we'll go back.

The big buts for me that I have to comment on are firstly the expense - Sydney is an expensive place to live because of the cost of housing, it's like London. And secondly there are the very big issues of coming with mid-teen kids heading rapidly towards uni because it's a massive gamble with their education and potentially their happiness.

The latter doesn't matter if you don't have kids and the former much less, because you have many more options (like flats etc, and not having to worry about schools).

Moving is always unsettling and you don't really know how you're going to deal with that until you try it, but adding stress (like going into a situation where you're almost certain to be worse off financially) is unlikely to help

I sounded very negative with the OP because I thought they were giving up a comfortable settled life for one that was likely to be much tougher and poorer and taking a huge risk with their kid's education to boot

Freshwater is lovely by the way :-)