Moving back to UK at age of 75 and single!

Dell

Have you looked into the benifits system in the UK? I don't know too much myself how it all works. But I know of many pensioners here who qualify for housing and other age related benifits and this seams to allow a modest but comfortable lifestyle on state pension.

Following this with great interest. You are one brave lady. Biggest hurdle would be houses here dont give you the money to buy in the UK what we have been use to in Aus, but it is still very tempting . I will continue to follow your story and send all the best vibes that you some how make it back to the UK.

A long shot and maybe one you would not consider, but I wonder if there are any other single people in your same situation, who dont have enough money to buy a home in their own right but may be willing to share a home and mortgage. You may have to be willing to compromise in location if the home, not everyone would want to like in the North of the country, but as I said just a thought.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Have you looked into the benifits system in the UK? I don't know too much myself how it all works. But I know of many pensioners here who qualify for housing and other age related benifits and this seams to allow a modest but comfortable lifestyle on state pension.

Hi there, yes, I've driven people mad trying to find out about the financial side of things.  I have now a pretty clear idea about it.  If I kept my Oz pension, it might be more initially than the UK State pension but I would be at the mercy of exchange rates each month and also I would not be able to apply for any of the extras due to UK recipients of the pension.  That last was pointed out to me by Pensions UK and so I thought that was a good thing to know.  I would have to actually go to the UK and start living there before I applied for the UK pension, though, if I was going to go down that route.  Which is fine, because I would have made my decisions by then and would have to accept one or the other.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  Trying to find out about the UK pension from so far away is a bit of a minefield.  You have to make yourself extremely unpopular by calling here, there and everywhere to find out but it's worth it.

1 hour ago, Tina2 said:

Following this with great interest. You are one brave lady. Biggest hurdle would be houses here dont give you the money to buy in the UK what we have been use to in Aus, but it is still very tempting . I will continue to follow your story and send all the best vibes that you some how make it back to the UK.

A long shot and maybe one you would not consider, but I wonder if there are any other single people in your same situation, who dont have enough money to buy a home in their own right but may be willing to share a home and mortgage. You may have to be willing to compromise in location if the home, not everyone would want to like in the North of the country, but as I said just a thought.

Hi Tina2! - Thanks for your interest in my  plans.  I think my situation is made easier than many in that I am on my own now and that makes moving from one country to another much easier, doesnt it.  I actually do feel as if I will make it at some point .  Don't know why but I do.   

Well, my original plan was to go back to St Annes and buy a small house of about two bedrooms and then find someone to share with me but I found out that if you are on the UK pension and getting all the little extra payments which are available to single pensioners, this means that they can control how many bedrooms you have in a house.  If you have two bedrooms or more, they think you might be wanting to take in a boarder and  collect rent so it is zoned differently or something - can't remember the actual tax that is affected but there is one.  Just one person living in a house attracts a really good zoning (at least I thought so) which helps with expenses, you know, but you can't supplement your income by charging rent from a boarder.

Lytham St Annes is really a lovely little town, well kept, lovely homes, but quite expensive.  I have kept my knowledge of it, having gone back and forward several times visiting Dad many times and working as well.  He has since passed away.  My cousins live in  Cambridge and so they would be very nice to visit and I have two more cousins living in Cologne and Madeira respectively so I would have all my holidays planned out ahead of time, haha!!  Unbeknownst to them!!  One of the things about living in Australia, though, is the feeling of being so cut off from the rest of the world.  

• Like 2

Hi Dell,  I was born in Lytham St Annes ( but raised down south) Married now to an Aussie, but if the time comes that he passes on before me and if I am still physically able I will be going back. There is this "pull" as you age to return to your roots. Like you have no idea how I will make this happen but I have to believe it will.

That is very intersting about the Tax if you have someone living with you. I find that a bit silly with the shortages in affordable housing surely it would be better for people to share. SO many advantages, sharing living expenses and having someone in the house should you for example fall and need help.

Yes Aus is a very long way from anywhere, but for me it is the lack of Culture and history that I miss so much. The ability to jump on a bus just about anywhere in the UK and in minuets be in a different village or shopping centre, with little or no need for a car which in itself is a huge expense.

I will continue to follow this and please "when" you make it back to the UK let us all know how things work out. 

1 hour ago, Dell said:

If I kept my Oz pension, it might be more initially than the UK State pension but I would be at the mercy of exchange rates each month and also I would not be able to apply for any of the extras due to UK recipients of the pension.  That last was pointed out to me by Pensions UK and so I thought that was a good thing to know.  I would have to actually go to the UK and start living there before I applied for the UK pension, though, if I was going to go down that route.  Which is fine, because I would have made my decisions by then and would have to accept one or the other.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  Trying to find out about the UK pension from so far away is a bit of a minefield.  You have to make yourself extremely unpopular by calling here, there and everywhere to find out but it's worth it.

I thought I saw somewhere that you had claimed your UK pension, small though it is?    

It's complete nonsense to say that you'll lose your Australian pension if you claim the UK one.   What does happen is that your UK pension will count as income. Nothing special about it, it's just ordinary income.  You'll declare it as income,  exactly like you declare bank interest or salary you've earned.  If you want to know how extra income would affect your Australian pension, you can use this calculator:

http://www.yourpension.com.au/APCalc/#CalcForm

I think you said it was only a few pounds, but if you haven't already submitted your claim, then I'd do so now.   You can opt to have it paid quarterly, I think.  The advantage is that you will already be on record as a UK pensioner when you arrive, which will speed everything up.  Then all you'll need to do is submit your Australian work record to upgrade, if you decide you want to.

How do I know all this?  Because I did go back, so I've got the advantage of having checked it out from both ends, so to speak!

These people might be helpful:

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/index.htm

Edited by Marisawright