Lodging your tax return early

MelbourneTractor

Hi,

Has anyone left Australia and lodged an early tax return?

We are leaving about 8 months into the tax year and I've been told we could receive a rebate of around $4k each, I'm quite surprised by that figure and wonder if it aligns with what others have received.

I am not sure about the process, we waited until the right time after our January departure. But that does sound like an awfully big refund as Australia par rates the personal allowance, you don't get all of it. It doesn't prorate the tax bands though, so if your annualised salary falls into the high rate bands then indeed you could be due something. Did some agent tell you that you could be due a big refund, one that they could help you organise maybe? :wink:

You are supposed to lodge a final return whether you are due a refund or not but usually most people get something back. The size of any refund is immaterial as it all depends on your personal circumstances. You can lodge a return either before you depart Australia or afterwards. If you do a paper return it will take 10 weeks to process. Look it all up on the ATO website.