It's finally happening!!!!

Kenfrapin

Will be speaking to the maintenance company but we do trust the agent we are using, small family business been around for years and have done this for many families, coming very highly recommended. We avoided the usual big names, big offices, 100s of homes for sale agents for this very reason

KnK

I had an incredibly positive experience with our estate agents when I was selling my dad's house - they arranged everything, the clearance, the gardening, the cleaning & then maintenance when a storm blew a fence down & roof tiles off.

They charged nothing for that service - they possibly got a kick back from suppliers they used but i don't think so because they were happy for me to appoint my own people and still manage it for me.

There are some good guys out there!!

Hope you don't need the POA but it sounds like you've know what you're doing :)

I had an incredibly positive experience with our estate agents when I was selling my dad's house - they arranged everything, the clearance, the gardening, the cleaning & then maintenance when a storm blew a fence down & roof tiles off.

They charged nothing for that service - they possibly got a kick back from suppliers they used but i don't think so because they were happy for me to appoint my own people and still manage it for me.

There are some good guys out there!!

Hope you don't need the POA but it sounds like you've know what you're doing :)

Same for us as well. Agent made it seem obvious it was their duty to help us because they knew when taking us on we planned to move in December. I thought I was asking a favour and may have to pay something but nope, more than happy to collect post, pay bills and stuff but all we want them to do is make sure heating's on when they visit twice a month, flush the toilets etc ....and this is if the house sale falls through. We are really happy with their gestures and understanding to date. Lets hope the sale goes through and it concludes by mid Jan, happy days then!

KnK

Im going to continue on this thread as I hope this will help someone else in the future who are in the same place as us....

So we've started calling and closing down utilities, banks etc and now shopping for the most essential of things that our UK is better at or feel more right with to buy before we go. We would really appreciate any help in reducing or adding to this list

1. Love memory foam and a quick comparison suggests buying King Beds here which is close enough to a Queen in Oz (3cm less each side of course)

2. Bedsheets, pillow cases and threaded cotton blankets

3. Extension cords

4. Lamps, oh the lamps. Oz seems fixed with ceiling lights which we love too but nothing like a collection of lamps for a cozy living room

5. A hall or entrance rug or two

6. Some cast iron pans, baking trays and normal cooking pots

7. Dead bolts, those lovely brass ones for so many doors

8. Many more kitchen comforts : cutting boards, egg timers, knives, kitchen scissors, dining sets and lots of different mugs, cups and glasses....

9. A lovely relaxing chair for the missus and, if I can find it, an old school leather armchair for old me

10. Finally a decent vacuum cleaner. Have an industrial wet and dry Vax for years so bought another decent cordless hand one from Vax

Are there any other creature comforts we need to get from here? No budget constraints and excluding clothes, so please, any recommendations welcome!

Thanks

Karen n Ken!

Edited by Kenfrapin
Added a few more we forgot

I would also stock up on towels(expensive in Oz for anything decent)(hand, bath, etc), dusters(I know, but I read this from another poster before I moved and now makes sense).

If you are into cooking and buying nice pots and pans,etc double check the prices here and consider if worth purchasing in the UK and including in your freight shipment. Was a little, very, shocked at the cost of reasonable cookware in Oz!!

Also are you shipping a lot of electrical gear, if so consider 4 way adapters as only means one plug to change.

Not sure if you are shipping your bed and duvet(doona here), if so bring some extra sheets and covers as sizes here are slightly different as you have already noted. And can be expensive to buy anything decent, not like just popping round to Tesco.

Some things you might not expect, not exactly sure(not checked your profile) what state you are moving too. But I am in Melbourne and have never owned so much thermal clothing in my life. Get down to M&S and stock up on some long johns, thermal vests etc if moving to SE Australia. Also if you are a fan of M&S, stock up on underware(I have found it hit and miss here and the quality so so) and even singlets(for hubby)(useful in the hot weather to wear under shirts to keep the sweat under control)

Not sure of your exact moving date, but you are close to London. If you can make the most of the sales at John Lewis for pillow slips and pillows, maybe even duvets if you are already thinking of them. Ikea is useful and cheap here, but quality can be hit and miss. Probably same can be said for the UK!

Think about the things you would not buy the most, but that you would think essential creature comforts. Choice can be limited in Australia and with that can sometimes be expensive. M&S now does shipping to Australia and from memory if you spend a certain amount, free shipping(I could be wrong on that as not used it for a while or even double checked)

Depending on your budget and your lifestyle places like Ikea and Fantastic Furniture, will help you get started cheaply. If they are not to your taste, then things can get expensive quickly.

I will probably think of something to add later but for now I would advise NOT to close your bank account. If you do it is not as easy to re open from over here. Especially if you are not sure you will stay. We have been here 9 years and have kept our RBS accounts open with no problems. We have online statements and replacement cards are sent through the mail. Very handy to use when you go over on holidays also. Family pay money in for birthdays and Christmas etc which we leave there for spending when we go over.

Don't close your bank accounts if it costs nothing to keep them open. If there is a fee, move to a fee-free account and just keep a nominal amount in there just in case you need to return at a later date...opening accounts in the uk from overseas is not straightforward.

Thank you all for your lovely inputs

We are keeping our bank accounts open and not closing them for quite some time, especially since we arent moving all our money over just yet!

Will go through every other detail from Evets, thank you! And, we are moving to Melbourne

Cheers

KnK

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 week countdown has officially begun as we fly out on the 19th

1. All sinking in now as we start packing up and ready for the movers on the 16th

2. Utilities, banks, subscriptions and memberships either cancelled or informed of our move

3. Plans in place for items we arent taking with food : recycling, the skip or friends taking charge

4. And finally, house sale going through well with completion for mid to late Jan

I guess we will still feel apprehensive until contract exchange happens as things are never certain till that point. We are looking at everything in a different light now, that mainly being 'wow, we may never see or do this ever again' which is then followed by butterflies in the tummy and that anxious feeling. So yep, its all hitting home now

Excited and scared at the same time......

KnK

The 2 week countdown has officially begun as we fly out on the 19th

1. All sinking in now as we start packing up and ready for the movers on the 16th

2. Utilities, banks, subscriptions and memberships either cancelled or informed of our move

3. Plans in place for items we arent taking with food : recycling, the skip or friends taking charge

4. And finally, house sale going through well with completion for mid to late Jan

I guess we will still feel apprehensive until contract exchange happens as things are never certain till that point. We are looking at everything in a different light now, that mainly being 'wow, we may never see or do this ever again' which is then followed by butterflies in the tummy and that anxious feeling. So yep, its all hitting home now

Excited and scared at the same time......

KnK

Congratulations and wish you the very best on your move. It is a huge leap of faith and flying into summer! Nice :)

I am on my 6 week time line countdown of relocating from Australia to Canada. Nothing personal, have loved my time here in Melbourne, just job market not that great in my industry, lots being outsourced or mainly offshored. :(

Your post resonates with me, as I feel exactly the same aside from the house sale as kept mine for a rental as the property market has crashed at that time in the UK, while the property market in Australia appears unstoppable now!!!

For me it never truly hits home until the plan is taking off and you think WOW no turning back now!

And the final week has begun. Movers arrive on Friday so we have 4 days to get our house in order. Finishes packing 5 suitcases of clothes today and the rest we ship, tomorrow is taking stuff out of our cabinets, drawers, tables etc to neatly lay it out for them. Wed and Thu is left for all final bits and pieces of work, cleaning and final shutdown. Money transferred to our Aus banks and everything else now cancelled.

Our house sale too is progressing nicely with even more certainty to complete mid to late Jan

As we fly on Monday morning, we were dreading 3 nights and 2 long days living in our empty home but we have been booked in for drinks and dinner with friends over Sat and Sun to make time fly by quickly.

We started the process last October, announced of our plans pretty much a year back, moaned and groaned waiting for the PR to come through and here we are now, a mere heartbeat away from a new start and jump into the unknown. Daily heart palpitations and constant butterflies in the tummy is now something we find very normal :goofy:

KnK

And the final week has begun. Movers arrive on Friday so we have 4 days to get our house in order. Finishes packing 5 suitcases of clothes today and the rest we ship, tomorrow is taking stuff out of our cabinets, drawers, tables etc to neatly lay it out for them. Wed and Thu is left for all final bits and pieces of work, cleaning and final shutdown. Money transferred to our Aus banks and everything else now cancelled.

Our house sale too is progressing nicely with even more certainty to complete mid to late Jan

As we fly on Monday morning, we were dreading 3 nights and 2 long days living in our empty home but we have been booked in for drinks and dinner with friends over Sat and Sun to make time fly by quickly.

We started the process last October, announced of our plans pretty much a year back, moaned and groaned waiting for the PR to come through and here we are now, a mere heartbeat away from a new start and jump into the unknown. Daily heart palpitations and constant butterflies in the tummy is now something we find very normal :goofy:

KnK

Good for you :)

Enjoy the drinkies and it's going to be some adventure.

B

KnK

Good luck with it all. I remember we completed our house sale on the Thursday before flying on the Tuesday (the same day as our possessions set sail) just 18 months ago. We stayed with my brother-in-law's family for 3 nights and then at a airport hotel on the last night - didn't want to take any chances with traffic etc.

Still recall all those feelings of excitement intermingled with trepidation. All I can suggest is to try to enjoy the adventure.

Have enjoyed reading this thread. Might start my own as I think it's a good motivation and you've received some great tips on here. I didn't realise there was a difference between the UK and Australian beds (mattresses / frames) were different. And that towels and linen (or manchester as they call it in Australia!) were so expensive for the quality ones.

I've taken many a note from your thread - thanks!

Hope everything goes smoothly - make sure you take lots of photos and vids from your last few days. Look back at them in 6 months time and smile!

Seems I have lost the ability to like posts on here, wonder if its just a glitch.

Thanks again for the wishes and I think this week of not working, just packing and taking it in is having more benefits than we thought. The extended time to wish everyone good bye is actually nice as it doesnt feel rushed so we should be completely ready to leave by Sunday night. We've met and spoken to a lot of friends and the general public who all get that big smile and congratulate us on the decision to move. A lot of advice on what to do but overall it's an expression of happiness and wishes that make us feel it's the right thing. This doesnt reduce the so called butterflies and palpitations we get from nowhere (usually early morning or just before dinner) thinking 'WTH are we doing!' but its part of the journey and shutting shop here.

Must say that looking at the home now all packed up, filled with boxes and similar to when we first moved does makes us want to leave quicker so it isnt all that bad. We would definitely recommend everyone to have that week to pack up and move out, it just gives enough time for you to accept its happening and gives you a sense of closure

We've booked ourselves on Thai Business class but they only give 40kgs per person. We thought it would be enough but not in any shape or form do we feel we are taking enough with us. We may be a few kilos over the limit but arent thinking too much about it.

Time for a lovely dinner of M&S beef brisket and Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes, enjoyed with a lovely Chateauneuf du pape, who knows when we can enjoy this luxury next!!!

Thank you all once again, more to follow over the next few days

KnK

Edited by Kenfrapin

Seems I have lost the ability to like posts on here, wonder if its just a glitch.

Thanks again for the wishes and I think this week of not working, just packing and taking it in is having more benefits than we thought. The extended time to wish everyone good bye is actually nice as it doesnt feel rushed so we should be completely ready to leave by Sunday night. We've met and spoken to a lot of friends and the general public who all get that big smile and congratulate us on the decision to move. A lot of advice on what to do but overall it's an expression of happiness and wishes that make us feel it's the right thing. This doesnt reduce the so called butterflies and palpitations we get from nowhere (usually early morning or just before dinner) thinking 'WTH are we doing!' but its part of the journey and shutting shop here.

Must say that looking at the home now all packed up, filled with boxes and similar to when we first moved does makes us want to leave quicker so it isnt all that bad. We would definitely recommend everyone to have that week to pack up and move out, it just gives enough time for you to accept its happening and gives you a sense of closure

We've booked ourselves on Thai Business class but they only give 40kgs per person. We thought it would be enough but not in any shape or form do we feel we are taking enough with us. We may be a few kilos over the limit but arent thinking too much about it.

Time for a lovely dinner of M&S beef brisket and Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes, enjoyed with a lovely Chateauneuf du pape, who knows when we can enjoy this luxury next!!!

KnK

Like!

B

KnK

Come on where's your update presumably you have just arrived?!

• 3 weeks later...

Happy NY 2017 to all

Sorry for the delay in posting back on here as we have been enjoying our XMas break settling down.

In short then, arrived in Sydney on the 20th around 11pm and then flew to Melbourne the next morning for XMas with the cousins. Returned to Sydney on the 28th, enjoyed the fireworks from my brother's flat in North Sydney and today is the first day we woke up at 7am to start a normal day

Everything has gone great so far. Our home sale is progressing and we should have a date for exchange and completion shortly. The container hasnt shipped yet but that was expected as it's groupage and not an entire container. We are planning to not to do anything till mid Jan after which we aim to shortlist a few rentals in Melbourne, fly down for inspections and finalise to move in by the month end

Our trip to Sanctuary Lakes was an eye opener. It's a different world and we fell in love with it so it's now on top of our list to buy a property. Overall experience from our recce in May has just improved, people just seem more friendlier. Whether its 1am in Fitzroy or strolling down the road or shopping in Coles or a Uber taxi ride, we've had the same positive experience of warm human contact. People are not afraid to chat or say more than hello, already made friends here which is nuts. Of course, there were a few pouty grumbling characters but hey, compared to back home, we just feel more welcomed. The weather is just brilliant. XMas lunch sweating in 40C heat was confusing, but going out in shorts and 'thongs' is weirder. This is peak tourist season but at the busiest times it feels like an ordinary day in London. When we stayed in our apartment in Mel CBD, looking at empty streets was surreal, what we call an empty street is normal city traffic, go figure!

We were worried we would get homesick, or miss creature comforts but it hasnt affected us yet, and doubt it will, so everything is on track

We havent really started the job hunt because if we get stuck in then that's the end of our dream run. A quick few checks about mortgages and eligibility made it clear that home loans will be a breeze the higher we earn and the position we have. So if I were to get the very same job profile I had in the UK, any bank will approve my loan with an employer reference letter without the need to wait for 3 months payslips. So for now, we are setting up the usual : bank accounts opened and cards in hand, medicare, TFN, basic insurance etc, phones sorted, learning how to travel in Sydney and Melbourne etc

And yes, Sky Diving booked for this weekend to get things going :wink:

Until later then....

KnK

Edited by Kenfrapin

Happy NY 2017 to all

Sorry for the delay in posting back on here as we .......

Good for you, great news on all fronts particularly the mortgage side approval with an employer letter - amazing.

We're about 290 sleeps to our departure...

Enjoy the Skydiving!

B

• 1 month later...

Evening to all from lovely Melbourne, I am long overdue an update on how we are doing so here goes

Let me start with the happy news first. Karen got her job sorted 3 days after we moved into Docklands (flew down this Monday, job confirmed Thursday) while my job was confirmed yesterday. Goes without saying we had a blast in Fitzroy last night and nursed a well deserved hangover all day today

So we were in Sydney till last week, enjoying the heat and sun. I started applying for jobs mid Jan and got about 2 calls per week from companies directly as well as recruitment agents. At any given time I had at least 2 interviews in the pipeline. At this point in time I have 4 final interviews scheduled but being successful in my first one was just what I was hoping for. Yes, its a contract role but in my line contracts tend to go on for quite some time. The reason to get a permie job is to qualify for a mortgage so we can buy a home soon. For clarity, Karen's a PMO Finance Analyst while I am a Senior IT Project Manager and what we saw with the type and number of jobs when in the UK is exactly true. If you are experienced and know what you do then getting a job is quite easy. It isnt as strict or stuck up as the UK and given the lack of applicants or specific expertise/knowledge, companies here are happy to hire people with a can do attitude and ready to learn.

We started looking for places to rent from late Jan but sat at home in Sydney for the searches and calls. Our searche led us to the decision to stick to the city to enjoy 6 months of city living. We flew down for a day, visited properties and quickly agreed Docklands was the place to be. Saved us the hassle of spending few nights and going for inspections all across Melbourne. We also wanted a fully furnished place so Docklands just made it easy. It is a little on the expensive side but by then we knew that even if one of us got a job it would be easy sailing. So we had the flat sorted (a nice 3 bed 3 bath corner apartment on the 11th floor with nice furnishing) a week back, my brother and his partner decided to move with us too and we all flew down Monday morning. As we settled in, we sorted our interviews out and come Friday, we were both smiling with jobs sorted as well :-)

Everything has gone well and exactly to plan. Our detailed research on how the job hunt would pan out, areas we would focus on and timings were all correct. We are now settling in and enjoying our final few days of rest before we start work. Living in the Docklands means a 20 min morning commute to work, which is excellent. Dont like the idea of wearing business formals every single day but I wont complain

During Jan we get our Medicare, TFN and licenses sorted. Picking our VIC driving licenses next Tuesday. Need to get a credit card now once we have signed copies of our offer letters and take a few driving lessons before deciding which care to buy. Also need to get our medical insurance sorted out.

Our home sale back in the UK has been taking some time. It was supposed to complete last week but due to some problem in the chain we are delayed a few more weeks. But the sale is still on and hopefully once done, I can actually take it easy. Unfortunate the £££ has just crashed, doubt we will move our savings over anytime soon. Probably save up what we make now for a down payment until the ££ goes back to a decent exchange value. Our stuff is on its way, expected to arrive in April and ready to collect in March although it will remain in storage till June or July

If anyone needs any help or advice then do feel free to send a private message. Glad to give advice to help those moving over.

It may be time to close this thread now as we have come to the end of our move. We commence our hunt for a perfect home in a few months, pretty certain we will be moving to Sanctuary Lakes as we really connected with that place.

Have a lovely weekend folks. Its White Night in Melbourne but we will sit it out, sip a few drinks at home and enjoy lamb shanks with duck fat potatoes :-)

Cheers

Karen n Ken

Evening to all from lovely Melbourne, I am long overdue an update on how we are doing so here goes

Let me start with the happy news first. Karen got her job sorted 3 days after we moved into Docklands (flew down this Monday, job confirmed Thursday) while my job was confirmed yesterday. Goes without saying we had a blast in Fitzroy last night and nursed a well deserved hangover all day today

So we were in Sydney till last week, enjoying the heat and sun. I started applying for jobs mid Jan and got about 2 calls per week from companies directly as well as recruitment agents. At any given time I had at least 2 interviews in the pipeline. At this point in time I have 4 final interviews scheduled but being successful in my first one was just what I was hoping for. Yes, its a contract role but in my line contracts tend to go on for quite some time. The reason to get a permie job is to qualify for a mortgage so we can buy a home soon. For clarity, Karen's a PMO Finance Analyst while I am a Senior IT Project Manager and what we saw with the type and number of jobs when in the UK is exactly true. If you are experienced and know what you do then getting a job is quite easy. It isnt as strict or stuck up as the UK and given the lack of applicants or specific expertise/knowledge, companies here are happy to hire people with a can do attitude and ready to learn.

We started looking for places to rent from late Jan but sat at home in Sydney for the searches and calls. Our searche led us to the decision to stick to the city to enjoy 6 months of city living. We flew down for a day, visited properties and quickly agreed Docklands was the place to be. Saved us the hassle of spending few nights and going for inspections all across Melbourne. We also wanted a fully furnished place so Docklands just made it easy. It is a little on the expensive side but by then we knew that even if one of us got a job it would be easy sailing. So we had the flat sorted (a nice 3 bed 3 bath corner apartment on the 11th floor with nice furnishing) a week back, my brother and his partner decided to move with us too and we all flew down Monday morning. As we settled in, we sorted our interviews out and come Friday, we were both smiling with jobs sorted as well :-)

Everything has gone well and exactly to plan. Our detailed research on how the job hunt would pan out, areas we would focus on and timings were all correct. We are now settling in and enjoying our final few days of rest before we start work. Living in the Docklands means a 20 min morning commute to work, which is excellent. Dont like the idea of wearing business formals every single day but I wont complain

During Jan we get our Medicare, TFN and licenses sorted. Picking our VIC driving licenses next Tuesday. Need to get a credit card now once we have signed copies of our offer letters and take a few driving lessons before deciding which care to buy. Also need to get our medical insurance sorted out.

Our home sale back in the UK has been taking some time. It was supposed to complete last week but due to some problem in the chain we are delayed a few more weeks. But the sale is still on and hopefully once done, I can actually take it easy. Unfortunate the £££ has just crashed, doubt we will move our savings over anytime soon. Probably save up what we make now for a down payment until the ££ goes back to a decent exchange value. Our stuff is on its way, expected to arrive in April and ready to collect in March although it will remain in storage till June or July

If anyone needs any help or advice then do feel free to send a private message. Glad to give advice to help those moving over.

It may be time to close this thread now as we have come to the end of our move. We commence our hunt for a perfect home in a few months, pretty certain we will be moving to Sanctuary Lakes as we really connected with that place.

Have a lovely weekend folks. Its White Night in Melbourne but we will sit it out, sip a few drinks at home and enjoy lamb shanks with duck fat potatoes :-)

Cheers

Karen n Ken

Good to read things are working so well for you both. :smile:

Best wishes!

Lovely update, really enjoyed reading that. We've friends who live in the Docklands, amazing location. So central and so much going on, yet not a place that felt crazy busy and rushed. Great choice. Sounds like you've really settled in well. Hope the great start continues for you. Great you've got so far with the administration side of things too.

That's amazing you were able to secure employ so soon - although given you put so much detailed research into it, not surprising. If you're able to swing any learnings out way when it comes to research please let me know. Were you speculative with companies or did you canvas agencies? Or both? My OH is in quite a niche role so we're concerned agencies may not be able to see how he could fit into different companies, in albeit slightly different roles. I have heard that many companies don't exactly adore speculative CV's. How did you carry out your research if you don't mind sharing?