Moving my car from QLD to WA

Country Boy

Hi all, I've just been offered a job near Perth so I'll be relocating from Queensland. My question is how do I change my car rego over when all the info I read says I need to own it for 12months as I've had it only 2months and it's not a new car? Do I wait until that 12months is up then transfer it to WA plates?

Thanks in advance.

I dont think you have to own it 12 mths if your only moving interstate. We bought a vehicle from Adelaide ,drove it back to QLD and registered it the next week, hubby has just done the same with a boat he bought in NSW.. As for how to get there, id drive and have a road trip. Get up a map and work out stop off points it would be an awesome drive.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-from-interstate.asp

Cal x

You do need to have owned it for 12 months if bringing to WA or You will need to get a road worthy certificate for it. Then take that, your plates and your rego to dept of transport and they will give you new plates and register the car here. You send the receipt they gave you back to Queensland and you will get a refund for any rego that is left on it.

Edited by AJ

Thanks AJ! Kinda what I thought from reading the info.

Cal I am very tempted to do the road trip I must say, gather a few spares and off I go [emoji2]

If you do, you will have to start a thread on here and document it. I love our little road trips but im yet to do one that big. Friends of ours have done WA to QLD and vice versa a few times and enjoyed the trip,stopping off here and there.

Cal x

Thanks AJ! Kinda what I thought from reading the info.

Cal I am very tempted to do the road trip I must say, gather a few spares and off I go [emoji2]

My car was barely a year old when I brought it over but I had only owned it for 8 months, so I just waited another 5 to change the car and my licence. If I had changed my licence right away I couldnt have done it. They will changed your licence free and give you whatever time is remaining on your Queensland licence.

Have a look here, will tell you all you need to know http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-from-interstate.asp

If you do, you will have to start a thread on here and document it. I love our little road trips but im yet to do one that big. Friends of ours have done WA to QLD and vice versa a few times and enjoyed the trip,stopping off here and there.

Cal x

I'm not going to have much time to stop off any more than need be as I have to be in Perth ready for a race meeting so it will be more like the cannonball run this time [emoji38]

My car was barely a year old when I brought it over but I had only owned it for 8 months, so I just waited another 5 to change the car and my licence. If I had changed my licence right away I couldnt have done it. They will changed your licence free and give you whatever time is remaining on your Queensland licence.

Have a look here, will tell you all you need to know http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-from-interstate.asp

Thanks for that, appreciate it AJ!