Just back from Perth for my validation trip

Bound4Tassie

Perth is indeed a beautiful place to live and to visit. Children have every chance to thrive here as in many countries but our children have done super well out of it. Our standard of living is way better than anything we could of dreamed of back in our old Country. Our visitors love coming on their holidays here. Not sure why but it seems some posters here don't like it when people are happy here which is a shame. Everybody should be allowed their happiness.

To be honest I have never known anybody not to like any person's 'happiness' or in any sense disallowing it. On the other hand, if you feel posters cannot present a fuller, more detailed picture of the 'darker' side or point out certain negatives to living in Perth, on the same thread, then you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment. It is a wide canvas and as such views and experiences to match. That doesn't disallow nor denigrate your personal experience in any way, just opens up the forum to a wider range of views and realities.

Well no it wasn't always expensive. Not more than Sydney at any rate. I recall Perth being a cheap respite from London, an easy place to rent, hardly difficult to buy and cheap pubs and what was termed cafes. The rest I agree with. Perth will never capture a tourist market with present day costs. Why would it? Long haulers can get a far better deal going to Thailand or if to Australia then to East Coast offers 'more' places to cover.

I was reading the other day Australia is only 17th in visitor ranking with Mainland Chinese tourists, the fastest growing market in the world. It has actually slipped and costs are regarded as a major factor.

Australia has long lost being the flavour of the month (hey day being Throw a Shrimp on the Barbie) (aimed at the USA market.

when I was growing up there never seemed to be such a need to own things. Perth has become very materialistic. Partly this is the boom. Partly it is a worldwide thing, just slightly more exaggerated because of the boom.

when I was growing up there never seemed to be such a need to own things. Perth has become very materialistic. Partly this is the boom. Partly it is a worldwide thing, just slightly more exaggerated because of the boom.

I know what you mean. But it was always seemingly more materialistic than UK if we go back far enough. There was a time when London was an affordable city to rent and live in. I never earned great money, very far removed from that but managed to always live in the First Zone in the or what became the best areas. Could even eat out most nights. What happened over preceding years be it in Perth or London, has not been of benefit for the average punter.

While Perth may be more affluent, mostly probably due to real estate, life is far more work focused, takes up far more time, with the best question being for what at the end of the day? We are certainly by and large not feeling greater contentment than times past.

While Perth may be more affluent, mostly probably due to real estate, life is far more work focused, takes up far more time, with the best question being for what at the end of the day? We are certainly by and large not feeling greater contentment than times past.

I think that could be said for Western society in general.

Nice post. Did you go to my beloved south perth?

Only went over to the zoo I'm afraid but it did look lovely around there. The zoo itself was my only disappointment....small enclosures for some animals I felt deserved more eg the lions, elephant showing repetitive / rocking stress behaviour....made me a bit sad.

I think that could be said for Western society in general.

Well it should be remembered, we in Australia. do now work among the longest hours in the developed world, so it is a matter of degrees. But I agree the general a lot of the world is less relaxed, more over worked than in previous generations.

Saying that Sweden has introduced a thirty hour week in certain areas. France works less hours as well.

I didn't go to the zoo in my whole time in perth, think i was zoo'd out after lone pine and australia zoo. I loved going over and sitting near the bit where the boat stops. Sat at the benches and looked over at the skyline or i would go a walk along the river. Was like my happy place lol, always cleared my head if i was anxious or feeling down.

Did you manage to get to rottnest island? Its gorgeous there but with a sad history

You didn't even experience it anywhere near its best. We have had the longest, coldest, wettest winter and spring I can remember. It's only just beginning to warm up and then the whole place looks and feels a whole lot better. I love Perth and surrounds over Christmas and new year hols. I intend taking about 6 weeks off again this year and just be at home with the ocean, beach, surf ski, paddle board all easily accessible.

Friends are a big part of the lifestyle too. There is always someone (usually a group of people) looking to do some sort of exercise and general fun every day. Just wander down the surf club around 6:00am and there will be someone there. No reason to go away and spend a lot of money when there's so much to do for free on the doorstep.

Glad you liked it and I feel me and the wife never take it for granted. Even our eldest son who loves to travel said to me a couple of years back "don't worry Paul, me and my friends know how good we have it". I always think younger kids don't appreciate what they have, especially if they're born here or came young. Our eldest was only 2 when we came. He had just come back from raft up in Rotto when he said it and had a few beers so I think he was feeling pretty good. Nice to hear it though.

Only went over to the zoo I'm afraid but it did look lovely around there. The zoo itself was my only disappointment....small enclosures for some animals I felt deserved more eg the lions, elephant showing repetitive / rocking stress behaviour....made me a bit sad.

South Perth is a rather upmarket area. I hope you went by ferry. Pleasant way to arrive across the river. Plus the vista of Perth from the river. You are quite correct with your critique of the zoo. I was there only seven weeks back with three European visitors, resulting in a degree of disappointment. Somehow not how I remembered it. The wild life park would have proved a better option. Something noted for a further time.

I think you came at a rather good time, as in the main missed the most severe of the rains. The summers are not for everyone unless you like very dry, intense heat. As you are going to Tasmania, as well as writing your feelings on heat, doubtful if you'd find it to your taste.

Saying that November would have ben a prime month, that would have allowed more beach and actual swimming.

I didn't go to the zoo in my whole time in perth, think i was zoo'd out after lone pine and australia zoo. I loved going over and sitting near the bit where the boat stops. Sat at the benches and looked over at the skyline or i would go a walk along the river. Was like my happy place lol, always cleared my head if i was anxious or feeling down.

Did you manage to get to rottnest island? Its gorgeous there but with a sad history

Not this time but I've been before in 2001. I was Sunbathing and a quokka sat on me!

Yes I sat for a while after getting off the zoo ferry just to admire the vista back over to the city. I'd like to see what it looks like when Elizabeth Quay is finished.

I've been to Perth twice in the last 18 months and absolutely loved it. I'm currently in the process of moving to Sydney, if I have the chance I'll spend some time in NSW Then look at getting to WA to settle down.

True, it is pretty expensive but in comparison To my earnings- I can afford a 1-2 bed apartment in Sydney or a 4 bed house with pool and garden in Perth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I know , you're not allowed to be too positive on here! Lol! Just saying what I saw and that I was incredibly jealous of Perth residents!

Good for you! Yes there will be the doom and gloomers for whatever reason that will try to talk you down but I'm personally loving the positivity. And why not.

Good for you! Yes there will be the doom and gloomers for whatever reason that will try to talk you down but I'm personally loving the positivity. And why not.

And then along come the realists to unsettle, not upturn the apple cart. I guess sometimes a little digging under the surface reveals a few undetected warts preferred left undiscovered by some. For the record a great fan for most things in Perth. I has certainly got better, apart from the prices, but is hardly an easy place post boom for those in search of jobs for one.