Just back from Perth for my validation trip

Bound4Tassie

....and I have to say Wow! Those Pomz who live in Perth are incredibly lucky. What a beautiful city! What a stunning place to live. I last visited ( for any length of time) 15 yrs ago and I loved it then. After hearing lots of negatives, I thought maybe it had changed for the worse but no way! It has changed but I thought it was fabulous! Free Cat buses around the city, spotlessly clean, friendly, great weather, great choice of world cuisines- even plenty for a veggie like me! I visited Hillarys Boat Harbour ( did a whale watching tour while I was there #bucketlist !). Hillarys seemed a lovely spot. The transport was reasonably priced, reliable, buses and trains linked up well. The city seemed to have everything you need - it's a smallish city but big enough. I felt safe and there was that typical friendly Aussie feel. The summer would be too hot for me but if you can handle the heat, you can get work and can cope being away from family then I can only see Perth being a wonderful place to raise a family. I know the phrase 'a better life' gets shot down on here but it was hard to see it any other way. Anyway that's my 2cents ! Ps I don't work for Wanted Down Under! Lol!

Bound4Perth? ;-)

Glad you had a good trip. I like Perth also, although no longer living there, I moved to the dark side :-/.

If you can get employment then it's a good a place as any other, if it suits, although there'll be the usual along to tell you otherwise.

....and I have to say Wow! Those Pomz who live in Perth are incredibly lucky. What a beautiful city! What a stunning place to live. I last visited ( for any length of time) 15 yrs ago and I loved it then. After hearing lots of negatives, I thought maybe it had changed for the worse but no way! It has changed but I thought it was fabulous! Free Cat buses around the city, spotlessly clean, friendly, great weather, great choice of world cuisines- even plenty for a veggie like me! I visited Hillarys Boat Harbour ( did a whale watching tour while I was there #bucketlist !). Hillarys seemed a lovely spot. The transport was reasonably priced, reliable, buses and trains linked up well. The city seemed to have everything you need - it's a smallish city but big enough. I felt safe and there was that typical friendly Aussie feel. The summer would be too hot for me but if you can handle the heat, you can get work and can cope being away from family then I can only see Perth being a wonderful place to raise a family. I know the phrase 'a better life' gets shot down on here but it was hard to see it any other way. Anyway that's my 2cents ! Ps I don't work for Wanted Down Under! Lol!
It is a pretty city, especially when the sun is shining. But don't tell bottom.

I'm glad you liked our city

....and I have to say Wow! Those Pomz who live in Perth are incredibly lucky. What a beautiful city! What a stunning place to live. I last visited ( for any length of time) 15 yrs ago and I loved it then. After hearing lots of negatives, I thought maybe it had changed for the worse but no way! It has changed but I thought it was fabulous! Free Cat buses around the city, spotlessly clean, friendly, great weather, great choice of world cuisines- even plenty for a veggie like me! I visited Hillarys Boat Harbour ( did a whale watching tour while I was there #bucketlist !). Hillarys seemed a lovely spot. The transport was reasonably priced, reliable, buses and trains linked up well. The city seemed to have everything you need - it's a smallish city but big enough. I felt safe and there was that typical friendly Aussie feel. The summer would be too hot for me but if you can handle the heat, youw. can get work and can cope being away from family then I can only see Perth being a wonderful place to raise a family. I know the phrase 'a better life' gets shot down on here but it was hard to see it any other way. Anyway that's my 2cents ! Ps I don't work for Wanted Down Under! Lol!

We lived happily in Perth for 3 years. We moved to Sydney from Perth because of my husband's work. If the work situation had been better at the time - who knows, we might still be there ...................... but I am more than happy here in Tasmania now.

Thought you were bound for Tassie though?

Bound4Tassie was having a visit to Australia to validate her visa. She's still bound for Tassie ........................... though she might prefer Perth now! :cool:

I am indeed still Bound 4 Tassie! As I'm currently pregnant but had to validate my visa I chose the shortest ( and cheapest!) flight into Aus.

So job done and we'll emigrate about Nov next yr.

I don't think I'd cope with Perth's summer temperatures. Tassie's climate suits me perfectly! Plus husband's family all live there.

Yes initial observations after fleeting visits, often do come up such assessments. Come to think of it mine was not so different back in the nineties.

Only with time and disclosure of realities, perhaps not immediately apparent on a holiday, may present some possible differing perceptions to initial conclusion.

Always good to read a glowing tourist report though. We certainly need more passing through to shore up the economy.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes initial observations after fleeting visits, often do come up such assessments. Come to think of it mine was not so different back in the nineties.

Only with time and disclosure of realities, perhaps not immediately apparent on a holiday, may present some possible differing perceptions to initial conclusion.

Oh Flag, cheer up. I'd leave Perth as soon as you can because it seems to be getting you really down at the moment. @Bound4Tassie I also love Perth. It's a Perthect city lol.

Oh Flag, cheer up. I'd leave Perth as soon as you can because it seems to be getting you really down at the moment. @Bound4Tassie I also love Perth. It's a Perthect city lol.

Not sure if you are playing to the gallery, but you yourself have written a more pronounced finding after a recent visit to this fair city. Certainly far removed from a Perthect city( a good PR slogan for the unsuspecting though) at any rate but it doesn't get me down. False witness does raise the heckles a little though.....

Being a great 'fan' of Perth in many instances, I feel it only 'correct' to give another side of life, than the sun drenched beaches, shiny modern city and a place of such laid back deposition that any resemblance of a horizontal stance is purely optional.

Perth is not really a tourist destination as such. Distance and cost prohibits the desirability somewhat to vacate here, unless of course visiting relatives or part of a grander scheme with plans to cover a considerable amount of distance.

Hence always good to read visitors fed back. Both positive and negative. We really need to attempt to encourage many more tourists and lure away a greater per cent from east coast locations. My take on that is until Perth presents a far more credible price option that presently on offer, I mean 6% more than Sydney does amount to Perthific but Perth rip off.

But we'll take positive feed backs from where we can get them. It shows potential is there if the product is priced rightly.

Always good to read a glowing tourist report though. We certainly need more passing through to shore up the economy.

....and it is also true that after living somewhere for a while you can forget to appreciate all of the good things you have ....a bit like a marriage really...it's easy to take things for granted!

I'll tell you one way Perth should market itself. Guaranteed hot, sunny weather during the summer (and the northern hemisphere winter of course). I had relatives out visiting Sydney a few February's ago. We were stuck under a series of monsoonal east coast lows the entire time they were here. Every day it bucketed down - i don't think they saw an hour of sunshine the entire week they were here. Several times they made the comment that maybe they should chase the sun to Perth for the rest of their trip...it was hard to argue.

Being a great 'fan' of Perth in many instances, I feel it only 'correct' to give another side of life, than the sun drenched beaches, shiny modern city and a place of such laid back deposition that any resemblance of a horizontal stance is purely optional.

Perth is not really a tourist destination as such. Distance and cost prohibits the desirability somewhat to vacate here, unless of course visiting relatives or part of a grander scheme with plans to cover a considerable amount of distance.

Hence always good to read visitors fed back. Both positive and negative. We really need to attempt to encourage many more tourists and lure away a greater per cent from east coast locations. My take on that is until Perth presents a far more credible price option that presently on offer, I mean 6% more than Sydney does amount to Perthific but Perth rip off.

But we'll take positive feed backs from where we can get them. It shows potential is there if the product is priced rightly.

Most people I know who holiday in Perth are always disappointed. It's a place to live, not a holiday destination. It's always been boom and bust. It's always been fairly expensive, although I never remember it being quite as ridiculous as it is now, but that goes for a lot of the world's real estate. Prices of other goods will drop as the recession bites. It's still a pretty place to live.

Most people I know who holiday in Perth are always disappointed. It's a place to live, not a holiday destination. It's always been boom and bust. It's always been fairly expensive, although I never remember it being quite as ridiculous as it is now, but that goes for a lot of the world's real estate. Prices of other goods will drop as the recession bites. It's still a pretty place to live.

Everyone I know that has holidayed in Perth and WA has loved it. Funny isn't it. Horses for courses I suppose.

Enjoy it, sounds fantabulous!

B

....and it is also true that after living somewhere for a while you can forget to appreciate all of the good things you have ....a bit like a marriage really...it's easy to take things for granted!

I fully agree. London was the same in my case. Often took tourist visits to remind me it was somewhere special. Both city's in fact have a resemblance. I recall the days in both where one could live and partake on a rather 'normal' type of wage. This applies specially to Perth. Sadly hardly the case. Of course still lot's good about Perth. The city has certainly become far more cosmopolitan. Something I applaud. I hope it further reflects our Indian Ocean positioning in coming years. The beaches remain pretty good. I do and don't in that sense take it for granted. What I don't take for granted in the ridiculous pricing of so many things. I recall Perth a very liveable and easy place where most all could find their haven, regardless of earning and without such a pronounced exclusion to an ever growing number of people.

Well no it wasn't always expensive. Not more than Sydney at any rate. I recall Perth being a cheap respite from London, an easy place to rent, hardly difficult to buy and cheap pubs and what was termed cafes. The rest I agree with. Perth will never capture a tourist market with present day costs. Why would it? Long haulers can get a far better deal going to Thailand or if to Australia then to East Coast offers 'more' places to cover.

I was reading the other day Australia is only 17th in visitor ranking with Mainland Chinese tourists, the fastest growing market in the world. It has actually slipped and costs are regarded as a major factor.

Australia has long lost being the flavour of the month (hey day being Throw a Shrimp on the Barbie) (aimed at the USA market.

We have in-laws with rellies here at the moment and they think the place is Utopia. I must admit, it does give you a renewed appreciation for certain things when you see people enjoying what the place has to offer. Yep, there are a couple of serious drawbacks here but it's a fine place to live and bring up a family.

Perth is indeed a beautiful place to live and to visit. Children have every chance to thrive here as in many countries but our children have done super well out of it. Our standard of living is way better than anything we could of dreamed of back in our old Country. Our visitors love coming on their holidays here. Not sure why but it seems some posters here don't like it when people are happy here which is a shame. Everybody should be allowed their happiness.