Sign in to follow this  
Guest jess84

Magazine Feature-Brits living in Oz needed!

Guest jess84

I am currently writing a feature for Outbound Publishing regarding Australian Media Culture in comparison to British. Have you moved to Australia and found substitutes for your favourite shows and mags?

For example, who is the Aussie version of Jamie Oliver? Is there a Aussie Pop Idol, and if so, how do the judges compare to Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne? Who do the Aussies hold close to their hearts, the way we hold Trevor McDonald and Cilla Black to ours? What is the Oz version of our beloved Heat magazine?Is there a Jordan in Oz?

Help would be much appreciated, and contributers will be quoted in the feature. Replies to this post or via my email address below- just volunteer your services, and I'll ask the questions!

Thanks

jessica_luper@hotmail.co.uk

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Guest kazzy01

Hi Jess

Have you been to Australia and seen the TV over there?

They have Aussie versions of all of our reality TV shows, Strictly Come Dancing, Big Brother and Pop Idol - which even has Simon Cowell as one of the panel!

Karen

Guest jess84

Hi Karen-

Unfortunately I haven't been to Oz, which is why I need the help! I'll look up the three shows you mentioned- but how do you personally feel they compare?

Also, can you think of any shows which the Australians are mad about at the moment, or their most popular celebrities?-eg Australia's answer to Jordan?

Cheers!

Jess

Guest kazzy01

Hi Jess

The Bill is one of the Aussies favourite shows (don't know why).

They also have a lot of american TV shows such as CSI, Lost, 24 etc. As I was backpacking over there, I didn't see too much TV to be honest, Home & Away is a prime time show there, shown every night at 7pm.

There are only 4 or 5 TV terrestrial channels over there and not many people have Sky from what I heard.

The biggest story while I was over there was Princess Mary, who I'd never heard of. She is an aussie girl from Tasmania who married the Crown Prince of Denmark and the couple were on a visit to Australia, they were all over the newspapers and gossip magazines.

Karen