Gollywobbler

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

It as been brought to my attention today ( thank you @George Lombard) that Gill (Gollywobbler) passed away at the beginning of the year.

Gill helped many members on the forum and would often fight to get her opinions heard and help those in need.

The migration world has lost a wonderful lady.

Rest in Peace :wubclub:

Yes funnily enough I was looking at a post in which she described getting her mother to stop dithering and apply for a parent visa. That was the one thing that inspired me to try, and although we aren't in Oz yet, we have our visa and are nearly ready to move. Gill's posts helped in that process. Thoughts with her family.

Thank you for letting us know.

Gill spent many many hours researching and assisting many migrants (including many years ago myself) in her detailed and often often sensitive/caring/blunt/humorous and where she disagreed argumentative and inquisitive way.

She stood up for migrants with health issues including submissions to the Australian parliament on the unfairness of the visa application process for people with disabilities

Gill also let us in on pieces of her life, her mother, calling out an electrician (or asking the odd electrician on here for advice), gas or IT repair guys when things went wrong.

A host of warm memories of her go through my memory. So long Gill.

I'm very sad to hear this news.

Gill was passionate and articulate, and fought hard for unrepresented visa applicants having assisted her mother move to Australia a few years ago.

We had several exchanges of views, when her lawyer training served her well. Always courteous, and delightful when I had occasions to speak with her.

The detail she went into on forum threads was a credit to her willingness to help, and I know that many benefited from her guidance.

May you RIP Gollywobbler.

Oh this is such sad news. I have such fond recollections of her posts. Ironically, I moved to Australia just 2 weeks ago and thought about her when looking at Stilton cheese in Coles the other day. Those of you who have read every one of her feisty posts will remember her altercation with a customs officer who challenged her about her gift of a Stilton in a ceramic dish from a posh shop in London for her brother in law. Most amusing and she got to bring it into the country! Good for her! I hope she's being just as feisty on the other side! Rest in peace Gollywobbler

• 2 months later...
It as been brought to my attention today ( thank you @George Lombard) that Gill (Gollywobbler) passed away at the beginning of the year.

Gill helped many members on the forum and would often fight to get her opinions heard and help those in need.

Oh, this is such sad news. I have only just read that dear Gill (Gollywobbler) has passed away and I'm filled with sadness at such a huge loss, especially to members of Poms in Oz/Poms in Adelaide, many of whom owe everything related to their migration to Australia to her. She was one in a million and I'm so very sorry to know she's no longer with us. What a treasure she was! My deep condolences to her family, both in the UK and in Australia. What a warm, caring, kind, generous and wonderful human being she was. So sad.

I often wonder what happened to her and a while back looked at when she had last posted, she just seemed to disappear, although obviously my own posting has had ebbed and flowed over the years.

So sad she has passed on, a passionate and caring person.

RIP Gollywobbler.

B

I still have a message from Gill in my inbox back in 2008, she was helping me with a complex issue I had at the time. I have copied part of that message she sent me..

Hi Honey

Please leave this with me for 24 hours or so. I think it is very risky for your parents to sink all their capital into a visa.

I do most of my best thinking lyig in bed, when things are quiet and I am not distracted.

She went on to give me her personal email......Bear in mind that she had never met me, or spoke to me before.

I just remember thinking what an amazingly kind lady - she doesn't know me and was prepared to try and help me as much as she could. I was genuinely very humbled by the kindness.

I will never delete that message!!!!

• 3 years later...