Pensioners who have moved back to the UK.... a few q's

pommysheila

Marisa I have sent a pm to the op and she has said she will email me so I can try to explain exactly what we have and have not done

To me she will need some sound advice from Centrelink on her actual percentage of benefits so she can then assess what benefits the UK might give

Apart from anything else leaving a child no matter what age can cause problems in gaining Habitual Residency which will be needed for any benefit claim

If the ladies uk pension is not up to the national average then there is pension credit but the residency bit kicks in then

I don't no if this is about me but I am not leaving a child, my son is 40 engaged and living with his partner they both have a very nice life and my son as really done well here with University and a job he has been in for 20 years. This is about me and trying to make some cense of what I am going to do with what is left of my life without hubby and for people who have been there they no it is bloody hard I wouldn't wish it on anyone but I have to try to do something and I am not after anything that I shouldn't get or crying in my soup it is what it is.

I don't no if this is about me but I am not leaving a child, my son is 40 engaged and living with his partner they both have a very nice life and my son as really done well here with University and a job he has been in for 20 years. This is about me and trying to make some cense of what I am going to do with what is left of my life without hubby and for people who have been there they no it is bloody hard I wouldn't wish it on anyone but I have to try to do something and I am not after anything that I shouldn't get or crying in my soup it is what it is.

Sheila it was me that wrote about leaving children but in all honesty you have taken my comments the wrong way if you think I am having a go about leaving your son I am not

if you email me I will explain

I was NOT having a go at all and I know your son is an adult

I only made that comment because we were refused residency status in the uk because we had left children in Australia ( that was the statement in the official letter we got from Dhss )

My children were 34 and 35 with kids of their own so certainly were not dependant !!

We were also refused because we had left a bank account open in Australia

it's very very complicated and not easily explained which is why I suggested you email me

I lost my husband three years ago and its not a walk in the park being on one's own. However we have to get on with life and because of this is much easier to try to get on and live day by day. That is what I do. I have good friends and see them more than my family who live here as well. Its the way it is. I took the view a long time ago that there would be a time in my life or my husband's life when we would be alone. Its a fact of life. I miss him I wish he had not died and it was so quck that it was a shock and it took me up to this year to get over the numb feeling. However in hindsight I am glad I did not up sticks and move, it would have been easy to do that, but it would have been the wrong thing to do. What I did do was change stuff and in the end I like being by myself now. I can do exactly what I like. My husband is in the Urn in the bedroom and I have a chat with him every day. Who knows if he hears me but it makes me feel good. Loss whether its because someone dies, or we divorce is never easy for anyone. However its a time when we discover who we are and get on with it, and enjoy it. I hardly ever cook now, I do not clean the house much, just enough for me ha ha. I have my dogs and cats and my life is good. No ties.

Just to add does not matter where we are when we are on our own, we are on our own. Being with familiar things is often the best place. I know we are English but green fields and roses round the door would be completely alien to me now.

Edited by Petals

Petals makes a very good point.

Are you going to the UK because you have family there, and if so will they support you? If so, then it's worth making the move. If not, then I think you should stick it out in Australia for a bit longer because even when you move back, you'll still be alone and you'll have a LOT of bureaucracy and financial hurdles to sort out when you're not feeling your best.

Hello Pat, All is well I just wondered what you meant, I have been let down by my computer man and he can't come till Thursday 2pm. Are you saying that because I have a son here I will not be able to go back home as a resident. So when my husband and I went back in 2007 because we were two and going to work and look after Dad that is okay or were we not resident status either but it didn't matter because we were working.?

Hello Pat, All is well I just wondered what you meant, I have been let down by my computer man and he can't come till Thursday 2pm. Are you saying that because I have a son here I will not be able to go back home as a resident. So when my husband and I went back in 2007 because we were two and going to work and look after Dad that is okay or were we not resident status either but it didn't matter because we were working.?

Yes you will be able to go back home and live in the UK, no problem at all.

What Pat is talking about is benefits. If you don't need to claim any benefits straight away then you don't have to worry about it. If you do want to claim benefits then it might be a hurdle.

To get any benefits, you need to prove that you're "habitually resident" in the UK. Obviously when you've just arrived, you're not in the habit of living in the UK, they need to be convinced that you've moved permanently and intend to stay. Otherwise they make you wait for a while - I'm not sure whether it's six months or a year - before they'll pay you any benefits. If your only family is in Australia then they might decide you're likely to go back there and will make you wait.