Is there lots of work in Perth?

Perthbum

Let's look at some stats:

[h=2]Unemployment Rates (15+) by Labour Force Region, August 2016 (%)[/h] [TABLE=class: DataTable]

[TR]

[TH]Labour Force Region[/TH]

[TH]Unemployment Rate (%)[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Western Australia - Outback[/TD]

[TD]4.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - Inner[/TD]

[TD]4.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bunbury[/TD]

[TD]4.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - North East[/TD]

[TD]5.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - North West[/TD]

[TD]5.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - South East[/TD]

[TD]6.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - South West[/TD]

[TD]6.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Western Australia - Wheat Belt[/TD]

[TD]8.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mandurah[/TD]

[TD]16.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://lmip.gov.au/default.aspx?LMIP/LFR_SAFOUR/WA_LFR_LM_byLFR_UnemploymentRate

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but was trying to be somewhat optimistic. My company laid off a large number of staff all across Australia earlier this year, with the focus on cheaper cost centres to cover these roles. Based on some other forums I use, the job market is pretty saturated especially in the world of IT, accountancy and grad jobs to name a few. People in the UK are sold this dream of Australia, mcmansion on your own 1/4 acre of land, swimming pool, sunshine. The reality is really far from that especially in Sydney or Melbourne, unless you have a ton of equity already.

Australia seems to be a ticking time bomb at the moment. High cost centre for many international companies due to the high wages here compared to other countries.

Yes I can find no fault with the above. A ticking time bomb you write. Grey clouds ahead regardless of those whom prefer the glass half full approach. No wonder the political environment is found wanting.

Let's look at some stats:

Unemployment Rates (15+) by Labour Force Region, August 2016 (%)

[TABLE=class: DataTable]

[TR]

[TH]Labour Force Region[/TH]

[TH]Unemployment Rate (%)[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Western Australia - Outback[/TD]

[TD]4.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - Inner[/TD]

[TD]4.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bunbury[/TD]

[TD]4.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - North East[/TD]

[TD]5.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - North West[/TD]

[TD]5.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - South East[/TD]

[TD]6.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth - South West[/TD]

[TD]6.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Western Australia - Wheat Belt[/TD]

[TD]8.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mandurah[/TD]

[TD]16.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://lmip.gov.au/default.aspx?LMIP/LFR_SAFOUR/WA_LFR_LM_byLFR_UnemploymentRate

As has been stated under employment is the issue. Stats show very little as to the reality on the ground.

Very scary indeed. Even worse is the cluelessness with regards to solutions. Adding more people in such large numbers, while reducing standards of living is hardly ideal, while risking ever greater rise in support of populist parties. Has the goose been cooked? Or will good luck again shine on this country, even if through little active intervention of their own?

The construction industry has definitely not crashed. Still building going on in Perth and a few big projects about to start. What has happened is that the construction infrastructure boom on mine and LNG sites up north has ended which of course will have a knock on effect on employment but I like to think of things levelling out to normality rather than the crazy few years of the past. Might stop cashed up bogans from buying high powered cars and driving through people's houses every week! But if your coming to Perth nowadays looking to walk into a job and earn big dollars then you may be disappointed.

Okay - not sure why thinking Australia was censored.

In Western Australia engineering construction declined by 48 per cent compared to one year ago

https://www.*****************.com/moving-australia-construction-jobs/

Edited by newjez

Okay - not sure why thinking Australia was censored.

In Western Australia engineering construction declined by 48 per cent compared to one year ago

https://www.*****************.com/moving-australia-construction-jobs/

probably because its the name of a Migration agent thats been complained about on here, so I wouldnt really go much by what they say anyway!

probably because its the name of a Migration agent thats been complained about on here, so I wouldnt really go much by what they say anyway!

Not sure why a migration agent would discourage migration, but hey. This may explain the situation.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/business-leaders-forum/wa-goes-from-boom-state-to-economic-laggard/news-story/3922b4d2223d386cdcd095e356ab190c

Not sure how this would affect the average tradie. I don't know transferable mining skills would be to the domestic market. They may do a very stormy and chase jobs overseas. Whilst this wouldn't affect employment, (and Perth is not great but not terrible), it would affect property prices, and a property drop doesn't encourage people to spend.

I ve been here a year next week and have noticed in the last 6 months a down turn in the building game ,I m sub contracting off a builder on high end homes and have plenty of work just now but I know lots of tradesmen either out of work or have had to drop their rates to get work ,on site I ve had people come in the last few weeks dropping their details ,I m based up in carramar near joondalup and would class this the same as 2008-2009 at the start of the recession,people are getting desperate

The builder I m working for has people phoning every day looking for work,I also know people that have been here a few months and have no work,Perth is very much a place it s who you know

We have extended family here and most have experienced a downturn in one form or another over the past 12 months that I think is going to last a good long while in WA.

We have 2 rellies in construction who are now only working part-time with reduced hourly rates, we have a relly working in a factory that used to employ 170 that is now being run by a workforce of 12, we have a FIFO relly who can't get any work, plenty of other similar stories.

I work in IT and the situation in Perth for that sector is dreadful. To be fair, it was never that buoyant at the best of times, Perth is not exactly an IT hub. At the moment though, the situation is dire. We have had 2 rounds of lay-offs and I know of 1 ex-colleague stacking shelves at night in Coles, and he was lucky to get that.

We have a few nurses in the family who have been unaffected and 1 who is a hairdresser who is thriving! Other than that, a struggle. I wouldn't advocate coming here without a job lined up to be honest.

I don't know how the State Govt can turn it around. They're skint (on the back of a lifetime boom) and have just spent about $2B on Liz Quay and the Footy stadium. Poor choices. And they get ball all off the Commonwealth.

Yet psychologists seem to be everywhere. So many doing registration in the hope of big money on completion. As doctors have little will or time to engage with patents these days, referrals, paid for out of the public purse, becoming ever more the way forward. A job of the times perhaps? In a world where we need to pay a councillor or psychologist to listen to our problems. Probably not the ideal road towards progress.

Yet psychologists seem to be everywhere. So many doing registration in the hope of big money on completion. As doctors have little will or time to engage with patents these days, referrals, paid for out of the public purse, becoming ever more the way forward. A job of the times perhaps? In a world where we need to pay a councillor or psychologist to listen to our problems. Probably not the ideal road towards progress.

Do you want to talk about it?

Western Australia had a huge boom because of exports of iron ore to China. That boom has well and truly busted. Go where the jobs are. i.e. anywhere else but Western Australia, South Australia or Tasmania. True, house prices are very high in Sydney and Melbourne. But the main thing is getting a job,no?

Western Australia had a huge boom because of exports of iron ore to China. That boom has well and truly busted. Go where the jobs are. i.e. anywhere else but Western Australia, South Australia or Tasmania. True, house prices are very high in Sydney and Melbourne. But the main thing is getting a job,no?

Well yes, but people need to satisfy themselves, that they can afford the cost of living in a city like Sydney. A city which has been rated as the third most expensive to live in, thanks to the crazy over inflated real estate.

I do find it interesting that so many people can live in an area and have such different views about the employment situation. I guess it must signify that the 'recession' is very job specific. Is that the way people see it?

Yes I suppose so and also job security. Those not being job challenged at the moment may well feel they live in another country, I suppose. Just that I don't know too many like that. Quite the opposite, those with jobs appear stressed as well with increased work loads.

Nowhere near as bad as it was when we emigrated in 92. Didn't stop us loving the place then and it's not changed that much. A lot more people so everywhere is a little busier but there's still plenty of room.

I guess we've been lucky as it's not really affected us. The eldest is still working on the Wheatstone project and the youngest in a coffee shop. Me and the wife are still working, I would love a redundancy payout but can't see it coming. Few more tears to retirement yet. Life's good and summers coming. Seemed a long winter this year.

Nowhere near as bad as it was when we emigrated in 92. Didn't stop us loving the place then and it's not changed that much. A lot more people so everywhere is a little busier but there's still plenty of room.

I guess we've been lucky as it's not really affected us. The eldest is still working on the Wheatstone project and the youngest in a coffee shop. Me and the wife are still working, I would love a redundancy payout but can't see it coming. Few more tears to retirement yet. Life's good and summers coming. Seemed a long winter this year.

Things were pretty dire round about 1986/87 in Perth. That's when we moved to Sydney. Perth boomed for a few years starting in 1988 but by that time we were settled in Sydney and bought a house so never went back to Perth. Happy memories of the place though. :smile:

Yeh, but when I was a kid we used to live in a shoebox ...

I do find it interesting that so many people can live in an area and have such different views about the employment situation. I guess it must signify that the 'recession' is very job specific. Is that the way people see it?

I think it's job and area specific. I've always been an optimist and have been through a few recessions but never experienced a boom like here. Never worked in mining or FIFO myself so never been on the big money. For us it's not been a lot different than we were doing in the UK. Both in the same line of work as we were there. When I've been out of work or fancied a change I've always managed to get a job quickly or move. You have to be skilled in a few things and be confident though or you might struggle anywhere. That's life though, it's not always easy.

Eldest took full advantage though, sparkie apprenticeship straight from school FIFO for the last 4 years or so. Changed jobs a few times and has had 3 months off touring once and regularly goes to music concerts in the states and Europe. Last break at home he went to Thailand with some mates from work for 5 days. Just because they thought the weather was cold here.

He'll have to move into the real world eventually but he doesn't even have a car at the moment, just hires one on his week off, probably just as cheap as owning one when you only use it once every 4 weeks.

Although the downturn in WA started in the mining/gas/oil arena, it is having a knock-on effect right down the line, as far as I can see. All those high earning FIFO bods who have lost their jobs have either returned to the eastern states or their country of origin, gone back to working in the metro area, or are still unemployed. Basic economics stemming from that means there is less money in the community to spend, and so people will think twice about buying a new house, car, boat, furniture, electrical goods, taking a holiday, removing their children from private education, not going out to eat as often, having less coffees out, leaving it a few weeks longer between haircuts, not buying as many clothes.... and on and on. The outcome is that people who run businesses in everything from manufacturing to hospitality, are finding their turnover is shrinking and they lay off staff. On a drive through Canning Vale industrial area the other day I noticed a few large premises empty and now up for lease.... in my local area there are empty shops, cafes, small manufacturing units. Also there are less people out and about in the shops spending, so I assume people are becoming more careful about how they part with their money.

We arrived in Perth in 1991, straight into a recession, and it seems to me that we are probably almost back to the same situation. In some ways though Perth has to take some of the blame for this as business owners have been incredibly greedy with the stupid prices they have been charging for years.... all because of the mining boom and catering for those with inflated incomes. Perhaps prices will become more realistic now, who knows.

Bottom line though is that it is getting harder to get work in Perth. There has always been a mentality of it is who you know in Perth, and not what you know, that will get you a job, and that has never been more evident than now.

Very much worse than 92. Prices were still cheap or at least affordable. Perth was no where near the league of most expensive world cities. Jobs were hard for a few years, interest rates were high but rents were low. (as were house prices)Centre Link payments covered largely the cost of living for those requiring it.

There is no end in sight with this recession. Prices remain outrageously high. The onus is now on restructuring. 51,000 jobs have gone from full time employment to be replaced by part time positions.

Australia finds itself rather clueless as how to react labouring under the false belief that a massive increase in population will arrest the decline, maintain a ludicrous house price bubble and somehow a service sector will maintain living conditions.