School Queries

Franklin05

Does anyone know what UK schools do about children catching up in education terms?

In Australia my daughter would be due to start Kindergarten a year later than she's start reception school in the UK. And when we are planning to return means that she won't have done any formal school here (only preschool), but in the UK her age group will have already complete one whole year.

Just not sure if anyone has been through something similar with their child and what year they were put into in school in the UK compared with Australia. I'm guessing that the UK education system must take things like this into account, I'm just trying to get an idea of what this will mean for my daughter.

Can't speak personally but from reports of returnees with young kids they have (pretty much all that I have read) been very positive about the way their kids have been supported back into the UK school system and subsequently flourished. It sounds like schools will go the extra mile to help kids "catch up"

Yes, we were in the same position when we returned the first time. Our youngest was in preprimary in Australia and was supposed to start in year 1 here. I asked for her to start in reception instead (premmie baby, summer born) which they allowed for the first term, then she had to move into year 1 after Christmas.

It was not good, especially in maths where the others were all pretty comfortable with number bonds etc and our daughter really struggled, and continued to struggle, to catch up, but that might have been the case even if she'd started school in the UK.

Schools are all different and if you find one which really understands how (and has the time and resources) to help, it'll be fine. The headteacher at the one our younger two attended was going through some personal problems and wasn't the most receptive to our concerns..

Knowing what I subsequently knew, I would order some UK workbooks for eyfs and KS1 and try to work through those a bit. Really, as long as your daughter has the basics of reading and number work she should be fine - children are still at very different stages of development at that age and good teachers are able to deal with all levels.

You could also look at asking to keep her down a year, but the state system isn't really keen on that. If you chose an independent school, they tend to be much more open to the idea, but that might not be such a good idea socially if she's an Autumn born child as she'd be so much older than some of her classmates - not a problem at 5/6, but more noticeable in the teen years.

Good luck

Does anyone know what UK schools do about children catching up in education terms?

In Australia my daughter would be due to start Kindergarten a year later than she's start reception school in the UK. And when we are planning to return means that she won't have done any formal school here (only preschool), but in the UK her age group will have already complete one whole year.

Just not sure if anyone has been through something similar with their child and what year they were put into in school in the UK compared with Australia. I'm guessing that the UK education system must take things like this into account, I'm just trying to get an idea of what this will mean for my daughter.

Yes- see previous post. My child had only done half of Oz reception (basically jolly phonics and playing with Duplo) and was thrust into Year 2 where they were about to take SATS!!! As her b'day is August, she was made to go into this year. you will find most UK schools will not keep them back. We had to suck up a fairly difficult year. She couldn't read or write barely and she was with children who had done 18 months extra education.

A couple of things. At this age, they can and will catch up. Let the school know and be prepared to put the hours in- we read EVERY night, and we had a tutor once a week (not necessary for all but it did seem to boost her learning and confidence). UK system has way more Learning Support Assistants who really put the effort in. She missed some stuff such as art and whatnot in order to concentrate on literacy and numeracy.

It was stressful at first- she was not used to sitting down all day and learning so much- but, she started Year 2 with a reading age of 4 and ended up Year 2 scoring one of the highest in literacy SATS!!! A year on from landing and she's a great reader. She is still catching up on maths but is average for her year.

I feel the effort has to be put in at home (they get more homework) and working with the school. Thankfully she had a wonderful teacher who said to me ' i don't want her average, i want her to excel' and she made sure she got there!

She is still the youngest in the class, and she is now no way the least achieving. UK schools do a lot more IMO- the curriculum is huge and the targets nuts, but the kids seem to cope ok. Support at home is everything. The younger they are, the more they can adapt.

Good luck! All will be well!!!

My grandson missed the first term in reception . He was also a late August birthday. We found the school to be excellent in offering extra support and his mum did a huge amount of work with him at home. He's doing fine despite missing that term and huge turmoil in his life as Dad is Australian and refuses to return to the Uk. Many broken promises .

My son is also an August baby, and that sid one of the many reasons why we think Australia has been a benefit for us. He has that extra level of development and maturity now to make so much more of school and learning than if he'd started at 4 years 1 month in the UK. It is weird that the children he was friends with in the UK are now starting Year 2 and he hasn't even finished Prep.

It obviously depends on the child as much as the support available. Our daughter finished her second term in Yr 4 in Oz and went straight to Yr 5 and so far as I can tell she's doing just fine. We managed her expectations (i.e. there will be things the other kids will know because they've finished Yr 4 already and that's ok) and encouraged her to ask questions if there's anything she doesn't understand. At the start of term I sat down with the teacher and provided copies of previous assessments/work done in addition to school reports so the teacher had a concrete idea of what she's been taught.

Without wanting to go down a controversial path--If it's basic literacy and numeracy that you're concerned about, would you consider a few terms of extra tutoring? Not the hardcore coaching that is so common in Sydney but maybe Kumon or JEI (don't know what they have in UK) or something similar? Enough people seem to do them to get their kids ahead of the curriculum (no judgment), so why not do them if you feel your kids need to do some catching up? Doesn't have to be forever, but maybe just a few terms or the first year to give you and your child that extra boost of confidence if you think it's required. Obviously needs to suit your budget. And whether your personal philosophy will allow you to consider it. Or you may want to see how your kid does initially without it but keep it in mind as a fallback if you think she needs it.