Internet Providers???

Guest Andrea Bridge

Guest Andrea Bridge

Hi there, Will put on a thread shortly, about out arrival, but can anyone recommend internet providers? Need internet, home phone, mobiles etc., all at a reasonable price.

See what you can come up with...

Thanks... Andrea x

Guest cj321

Hi Andrea

Internet often depends upon what you will be using it for. If you are like us and do lots of downloading then try iinet they do adsl2 and telephone or you could even get naked dsl, they are all explained on the website.

If you just do regular surfing and emails the have a look at virginbroadband this uses the 3g mobile network so you don't even need a phone line (saves $300 telstra fee for the wire)

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi Andrea

Don't know where you are in Oz but we signed up with Telstra for ADSL2 (in one of their shops where they told us connection would be no problem) and they, a month later and loads of phone calls finally told us they couldn't provide it (or any ADSL it turned out) coz there wasn't enough space at exchange :arghh:

We are now with Optus 3g wireless network. No phone line need, max 6mb download per month and cost $70 per month which is half the price Telstra were gonna charge, included wireless modem/router and no set up costs so turned out much better.

Are with Telstra for phone line paying $29 per month. Pre pay mobiles also for now with Telstra although have been advised that we could have a contract phone with Optus, just haven't got round to sorting that bit yet.

Bear in mind that they like to tie you into a 2 year contract.

Optus gave us a 30 day period in which to cancel in case we decided we were not happy with connection reliability/speed etc.

Telstra were awful to deal with and Optus have been fine however I have heard the reverse so in terms of efficiency of helpdesks etc I think they are all probably the same!

Lyn x

Hi Andrea

Internet often depends upon what you will be using it for. If you are like us and do lots of downloading then try iinet they do adsl2 and telephone or you could even get naked dsl, they are all explained on the website.

If you just do regular surfing and emails the have a look at virginbroadband this uses the 3g mobile network so you don't even need a phone line (saves $300 telstra fee for the wire)

Hope this helps

Chris

We use iinet and cannot fault the service we are getting. We have yet to use up all of our monthly allowance and we spend loads of time on poms and talking via msn to the UK. When we first set up our account we were told it would be 2 weeks before we were online, we were actually up and surfing in 2 days.

We started off with a couple of payg telstra sim cards but have recently switched to optus - we got a pair of phones and a reasonable monthly deal and are happy with what we've got.

Felicity:cute:

Guest Ruby Okim

Hi Andrea, if you are a big internet user, you might want to try AAPT Home. We're on their ADSL2+ (a faster internet speed) package with phone plus 20GB download/upload capacity. Phoneline cost $29.95 and internet is $59.95 a month. Not cheap but the best deal that I could find! Also, calls back to the UK up to 30mins is $1.98.

Guest cj321
Hi Andrea, if you are a big internet user, you might want to try AAPT Home. We're on their ADSL2+ (a faster internet speed) package with phone plus 20GB download/upload capacity. Phoneline cost $29.95 and internet is $59.95 a month. Not cheap but the best deal that I could find! Also, calls back to the UK up to 30mins is $1.98.

If you call the UK on a regular basis look at ozprepaidcards for the cheapest rates, we pay 0.05c per minute plus a local fixed price call at 18c so you would get 6 hours instead of 30 minutes for $1.98..

To check on all Australian broadband suppliers the best place to look is Whirlpool broadband choice and Whirlpool Forums

Hope this helps

Chris

This is all very helpful, I'll need to consider all this before I get to Adelaide!!

Haha I couldn't live without internet and phones!! Anyway, does anybody know about sending and recieving text messages from abroad (I don't have time to look into it at the moment, since I started doing lots of other things I haven't had the opportunity to think about that properly yet). Any major extreme charges??

Can you use a wireless router you bought in the UK in Oz or is it something stupid about all the frequencies + interference = trouble with the law?

I've heard about naughty people using illegal frequencies and getting shot in the foot for it!! :policeman:

We use Telstra for our home phone and Vodafone mobile broadband which cost us $39 a month for 5gbs of useage and we have never been over our limit.We have crazyjohn $20 cap on our mobiles which gives you $55 of useage for calls and text (you can text the Uk on this plan).

Archived