Student Visa - does anyone from the UK have experience?

SummerHQ

You have assumed wrong. I have not alluded in anyway on this thread or even forum that I think studying this course will grant me a golden ticket to PR. That is not what I am looking to achieve.

The qualification you claim is not well recognised will actually help me advance my career to the next level in the UK or will count for credits towards a degree if I decide to study on in the UK or in Australia.

I have decided to study in Australia over the UK as whilst my husband and I have no children as I would like to see a little more of the world than the doorstep I grew up on and after all Melbourne didn't just win the most liveable city again for nothing. Yes its costing more than if I were to study in the UK (and the difference is not as much as you may think) but we have saved and paid the course fees and have covered one years rent so that we can enjoy the experience without fretting over money. I have gone in to this with my eyes wide open, so there should be to quote "no expensive shock" on the horizon as we have factored in as much as possible to allow me to focus on my studies whilst enjoying a different country. So whilst it may not be "Harvard" it will give me time out to refocus my career, a career which I have stumbled into but done surprisingly well at in a short time. I do not see it as giving a career up as I know I enjoy the role and industry but know that the company I work for is not where I want to be long term. We are not burning any bridges as we both own a house each which are being successfully rented at the moment so are not selling up and throwing all of our eggs in one basket. Some may see this as an "expensive career break" and I'm sure some will jump and pick holes in this but so what it is right for us at the moment and if we want to "throw money away" then that's our choice but rest assured its not chasing a dream you rightly point out is a near impossible task of converting a student visa to PR.

Thank you for all the helpful comments on this post and on other threads they are really appreciated but just had to clear this one up so that if I post again I don't get the "rolled eyes" and "stupid student girl chasing the dream comments" as that's not what I'm doing.

I wish you good luck and enjoy your time studying here.

As you didn't make clear in your posts that you were quite happy to just take a career break to study here with no plans to stay for PR, then my posts would perhaps have come across as negative. I actually had your best interests in mind as my son came the student route and I had first hand experience of the hard time he had, thought knowledge of his experience would be useful to you.

I hate to say it but those posters are in for a very expensive shock. Probably end up as some of those people who end up hating Australia.

I'm reminded of that Lego song reading this thread "everything is awesome"... :laugh:

Thank you SummerHQ and ramot.

Ramot I didn't think you were being negative in anyway and I appreciate yours and most of the comments on this forum. It has been my go to place for gathering as much info as possible before I leave and its important to hear all the pitfalls as well as the positives. I have learned so much on here that would have took me ages to find trawling the web otherwise and for that I am very thankful.

What I don't find helpful are the type of comments above. They may actually put people off joining in and being part of this community as they come across as not adding any value other than making the original poster seem silly which helps nobody. Everybody starts on this forum somewhere and even on their journey to Australia and I bet they knew 1% of what they know now that is why I come on here, to learn from others.

Thank you SummerHQ and ramot.

Ramot I didn't think you were being negative in anyway and I appreciate yours and most of the comments on this forum. It has been my go to place for gathering as much info as possible before I leave and its important to hear all the pitfalls as well as the positives. I have learned so much on here that would have took me ages to find trawling the web otherwise and for that I am very thankful.

What I don't find helpful are the type of comments above. They may actually put people off joining in and being part of this community as they come across as not adding any value other than making the original poster seem silly which helps nobody. Everybody starts on this forum somewhere and even on their journey to Australia and I bet they knew 1% of what they know now that is why I come on here, to learn from others.

And one of those things that many people learn when they come on the forum is how to listen to the experiences of others. So when those of us who have lived in Australia for years point out that a lot of it is not awesome, and living here is a lot more expensive than many people expect (especially in a student visa), its a good idea to take those comments on board.

And one of those things that many people learn when they come on the forum is how to listen to the experiences of others. So when those of us who have lived in Australia for years point out that a lot of it is not awesome, and living here is a lot more expensive than many people expect (especially in a student visa), its a good idea to take those comments on board.

Sorry you may have misread the thread of the comments and thought this is another "they don't like what they hear whinge". I couldn't agree with you more and if you re-read my comments you will see that is what I have said. All the positive and negative experiences are invaluable and the knowledge I have come across here has helped me greatly.

The comments I took issue with are the two I quoted that reference Lego songs etc. as they do not offer any constructive feedback in the slightest other than to poke fun at peoples posts.

Edited by TheVixenator
typo

Sorry you may have misread the thread of the comments and thought this is another "they don't like what they hear whinge". I couldn't agree with you more and if you re-read my comments you will see that is what I have said. All the positive and negative experiences are invaluable and the knowledge I have come across here has helped me greatly.

The comments I took issue with are the two I quoted that reference Lego songs etc. as they do not offer any constructive feedback in the slightest other than to poke fun at peoples posts.

I realise that you quoted those two posts because they were the ones you had an issue with. And thus they are the ones I was referring to.

As I said above, a hell of a lot of Australia is not 'awesome' (referring to Bungo's post) and it is not a cheap place to live by any means, especially when you can only work 20 hours a week (referring to JockinTas's post).

We may not have wanted to move back to the UK, but we are surviving here on a lower wage as so much stuff is cheaper. And I was on a good wage in oz, not a student part-time one.

The knowledge of people on this forum is amazing - seriously - and I for one am so grateful to people for taking the time to help and share. But as a newcomer I must admit I think twice about posting for fear of being 'shot down' by the forum 'elders'.

Sad you feel that us "elders" shoot new posters down. Having been on PIO for quite a few years I am would like to think I for one have never done that, so could take offence at that comment and then think twice about ever trying to help again.

Many of us have seen the same question posted over and over again, and perhaps some regular posters give out more negative vibes than others, but on the whole most try to help, so it's sensible to accept you might not like all the answers posted.

Over the years I have had great advice and support, and I respectfully point out that many new posters ask a few questions, and then never post again having had their help, don't stay on to help other new posters, where as some of us do hang around for some reason and continue to try and help where they can.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote

Sad you feel that us "elders" shoot new posters down. Having been on PIO for quite a few years I am would like to think I for one have never done that, so could take offence at that comment and then think twice about ever trying to help again.

Many of us have seen the same question posted over and over again, and perhaps some regular posters give out more negative vibes than others, but on the whole most try to help, so it's sensible to accept you might not like all the answers posted.

Over the years I have had great advice and support, and I respectfully point out that many new posters ask a few questions, and then never post again having had their help, don't stay on to help other new posters, where as some of us do hang around for some reason and continue to try and help where they can.

Well said Ramot:notworthy:

The problem with student visas is it used to be a fairly easy way for people to get pr. That changed quite a few years ago but there are still people who think they can come over and do it. Generally they don't want to hear when people tell them it's near impossible now.

I came over when it was much easier, and I had people on forums getting angry with me then for 'cheating' to get PR. I personally think if they had it as an option, it's not underhanded. The government knew what they were doing. That's why students, and their family, can't work full time. They know you have to bring money into the country.

When the rules changed many people had to leave and many jobs in the training sector vanished.

I've gone off on a tangent.

Anyway, so I know exactly what it's like having everyone telling you not to do it. We thought the same. We had sold our house and figured if we had to leave at least we'd have had a good time. We'd get jobs so wouldn't go through THAT much of our savings. Of course, then you get here and realise that part time work isn't so easy to find on a temporary visa. Then you realise just how expensive it is to live here. We had enough money that we thought we'd be fine if we didn't find work over those two years. Turns out it's actually mega stressful seeing your hard built up savings dwindling. And then you really don't want to leave, so even more stress trying to make sure you can stay.

And there are the unforeseen difficulties. I ended up resenting my husband. I had decent qualifications in the UK, and found a job in THAT field easily here. However, I was the one studying as my partner was worried that he would fail a course so I had to do it. So I had to take a crap paying job that I didn't like, rather than a good paying one that I enjoyed, as the first place did try to sponsor me but it wasn't possible in the end. He could only work 20 hours a week. I was studying 3 days a week, working for 2.5 days and having to do homework. I'd get home and he'd tell me all about his day. He's got up at 10. Walked the dog for a couple of hours. Watched a film. Not done any cleaning. Not arranged anything for dinner. Before we came here we had planned he would do these things. He had agreed to it. But the beach etc was more appealing. In the end it cost us our marriage and me my career. That's certainly not what we'd planned on.

Thank you SO much for writing this! I'd wanted to say the exact same thing to those negative speculations on here! Like you, this is very similar to my situation, and your reasons for going into this are the same as mine. :hug: I wish people wouldn't speculate without knowing the WHOLE story. I wish you all the very best and keep in touch x.

It's good to hear that both of you have researched well and are doing this for all the right reasons. It sounds like it'll be a great adventure! Unfortunately, most of the people who ask about student visas are doing it for the wrong reasons, and that's why we "speculate" and mention the pitfalls even if you haven't asked about them.

The problem is, to paraphrase Rumsfeld, people don't know what they don't know - and therefore they arrive at this forum and ask if a student visa is easy to get, but when we dig a bit deeper, we discover they have all kinds of misconceptions about the path to PR, the ability to live on the allowed 20 hours of work, the size of the fees etc.

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2016 at 13:15, TheVixenator said:

No problem with the questions! Would be more than happy to keep in touch as you says its nice to know somebody in the same boat!

I’m studying an Advanced Diploma in Leadership and Management at the Australian National Institute of Business and Technology. Got my CoE all sorted and paid for the OSHC for me and the hubby and we fly out on the 31st of Dec. Getting really excited now but a bit scared about leaving work and the secure salary etc. but we have saved to see us through.

What and where will you be studying? I’m 32 so a mature student too! x

Hi! Where did you get your OSHC from? All couples OSHC cost 2500$ per year, is this what you paid as well? 

Many thanks,

Phoebe