Student Visa - does anyone from the UK have experience?

SummerHQ

Hi there

I'm looking to hear experience from anyone who has applied for a Student Visa from the UK?

Is this pretty straight forward or do I need a migration agent?

I've had a quote from a migration agent for £750 but this seems a lot when the visa is about £280 ?

I'm a mature student (36 years old, single, no dependants)

Many thanks :)

Hi SummerHQ

I am preparing to apply for mine in the next few weeks (I can't apply until 90 days before my start date which is the 30th of Jan) but I'm pulling all the paperwork together now and it seems pretty straight forward and the system guides you through all the information needed. The only bit that's got me thinking at the moment is writing a statement for a "Genuine Temporary Entrant" - I may post a thread on this late to ask for help!

Hi Vixenator!

That's awesome - they are my timescales too. What are you looking to study and what are you plans? It would be great to keep in touch! Genuine Temporary Resident means that we've reason to go back home and funds to do so.

Have you got your offer from your college yet? Where are you looking to go?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's just so nice to meet someone in the same boat!!

:)

No problem with the questions! Would be more than happy to keep in touch as you says its nice to know somebody in the same boat!

I’m studying an Advanced Diploma in Leadership and Management at the Australian National Institute of Business and Technology. Got my CoE all sorted and paid for the OSHC for me and the hubby and we fly out on the 31st of Dec. Getting really excited now but a bit scared about leaving work and the secure salary etc. but we have saved to see us through.

What and where will you be studying? I’m 32 so a mature student too! x

Oh that's awesome!

I want to go to Perth. I love it there, I have family there (not close enough to sponsor!) I spent a year WHV there 5 years ago and have always wanted the opportunity to go back, but I don't tick the box for the SOL occupation list (Marketing)

Have you been granted your visa yet?

I'd like to do Business or Marketing, but can't decide which course at the moment. I'm scared of the visa application... lol... don't know why, so it would be great to hear what they required from you and if it was easy and straightforward?

Where will you be studying? 31st December will come around so fast! (plus flights are cheaper on that day!!) :)

Yeah the flights look about £150 each cheaper if we fly on the 30th or 31st of Dec rather than the first few days in Jan. I will be studying in Melbourne. I haven't been granted a visa yet as its to soon to apply but I have registered on Immi and filling out the details I can at this stage before submitting my application. so far I can see I will need my OSHC, CoE, passports, marriage certificate and GTE statement but may find more info is needed down the line such as proof of funds etc.

When are you looking to go? The new academic year starts in Jan but it looks like lots of places do mid-term intakes :-)

Ah yeah, going out that time of year will be great - you'll hop straight into Summer!! Oh and Melbourne is awesome!! You'll love it - have you been before? My old boss just moved to Melbs with her family, she'd never been to Aus before, and just went on her husbands word for it - and she equally loves it, the whole family have settled in so well. I used to talk about Australia all the time when she was my boss and now she tells me she understands everything I used to tell her :)

Ah yes, sorry totally forgot about the 90 day thing. That's awesome, sorry for being dumb, but what is OSHE?

CoE is the offer letter from the education instition but wasn't sure what OSHE stood for?

:wacko:

Yeah the GTE statement scares me a bit....

Yeah the flights look about £150 each cheaper if we fly on the 30th or 31st of Dec rather than the first few days in Jan. I will be studying in Melbourne. I haven't been granted a visa yet as its to soon to apply but I have registered on Immi and filling out the details I can at this stage before submitting my application. so far I can see I will need my OSHC, CoE, passports, marriage certificate and GTE statement but may find more info is needed down the line such as proof of funds etc.

When are you looking to go? The new academic year starts in Jan but it looks like lots of places do mid-term intakes :-)

Edited by blossom
Fixing quote

What's a few hundred pounds here or there with the expensive cost of living waiting for you, and international academic fees.

If you want to migrate here, in my opinion getting a qualification in your home country with experience there is a much better strategy.

Ah yeah, going out that time of year will be great - you'll hop straight into Summer!! Oh and Melbourne is awesome!! You'll love it - have you been before? My old boss just moved to Melbs with her family, she'd never been to Aus before, and just went on her husbands word for it - and she equally loves it, the whole family have settled in so well. I used to talk about Australia all the time when she was my boss and now she tells me she understands everything I used to tell her :)

I came out in summer to start my course in horticulture. It was 40c and I remember thinking 'what on earth have I done? I'm going to die working in this heat'.

And you soon realise that the rent you can afford when only allowed to work 20 hours a week doesn't get you the best air con.

No problem with the questions! Would be more than happy to keep in touch as you says its nice to know somebody in the same boat!

I’m studying an Advanced Diploma in Leadership and Management at the Australian National Institute of Business and Technology. Got my CoE all sorted and paid for the OSHC for me and the hubby and we fly out on the 31st of Dec. Getting really excited now but a bit scared about leaving work and the secure salary etc. but we have saved to see us through.

What and where will you be studying? I’m 32 so a mature student too! x

What are you hoping to achieve by gaining a qualification from an Australian institution that is not well recognised and a subject that is going to place you in direct competition with a vast local talent pool (who may well have studied at a more well known institution to degree level)? Assuming you are coming here to study with a view to trying to stay permanently thereafter.

Edited by srh82
typo

What are you hoping to achieve by gaining a qualification from an Australian institution that is not well recognised and a subject that is going to place you in direct competition with a vast local talent pool (who may well have studied at a more well known institution to degree level)? Assuming you are coming here to study with a view to trying to stay permanently thereafter.

I was going to ask the same question.

It's very expensive to study as an International student here, with no definite route to PR.

My son came here to study in 2005 when it was being encouraged as a route to PR.

What an expensive nightmare it was, as the government changed rule after rule retrospectively.

He lodged his 885 visa fully front loaded visa application, and the rules were changed yet again retrospectively.

He was then on a bridging visa for over 3 years, he had studied through to an MBA, but it took over a year to get a "real" job, no one would consider him to start with, he eventually got a lucky break.

He was one of the lucky 885 applicants to actually get PR. Thousands were left in limbo for many more years and then their applications canx. all that money spent for nothing.

The government made the student route unattractive because so many applicants had rorted the system.

That would be my first thought too! A student visa is just another expensive holiday IMHO. I most certainly would not be giving up a secure career job and selling a home for it - if you want a very expensive holiday by all means take a career break and rent out your house but don't burn any bridges!

• Like 1

Yep. Spot on. The fact is there are very few good reasons for anyone to move from the UK to study in Australia. I would only be spending my money on an overseas education if I were accepted into Harvard.

I hate to say it but those posters are in for a very expensive shock. Probably end up as some of those people who end up hating Australia.

We don't know the circumstances of the people posting on this thread, but you're right, it's a ludicrous option for most people, but some people just don't want to believe it. We had a poster here recently, desperate to get to Australia - a more senior version of her job was on the list so her solution was to come to Australia as a student, get the qualification and then apply for PR.

Several people including an agent pointed out that it wouldn't work, because she'd still have to get the required experience AFTER the qualification, so she'd have to go home. She also refused to believe she'd have any trouble earning enough to live on with only 20 hours a week work, assuming she could get it. My worry would be she'll end up back in the UK, broke, without enough money to emigrate for real.

Edited by Marisawright

Even though my son came the student route, I couldn't recommend it to anyone, it must cost even more now with no PR guarantee at the end, so it doesn't make sense to pay out so much money for what end???

my son was a mature student, had been to university in UK, but didn't qualify then for a PR visa.

It took nearly 6 1/2 years from arriving to finally get PR. he did get some quite reasonable part time jobs, but some rubbish ones as well. He worked weekends and public holidays in a local service station for 2 years, (not knocking it as he was well paid in his part time job of weekend manager in the oil industry!!!) before getting a real job. You can or could work more than 20 hrs a week if you were studying a masters or above, but were limited by the amount of study you had.

His is a rare success story, but it was so tough, and without family back up not sure he could have waited out getting PR.

Oh that's awesome!

I want to go to Perth. I love it there, I have family there (not close enough to sponsor!) I spent a year WHV there 5 years ago and have always wanted the opportunity to go back, but I don't tick the box for the SOL occupation list (Marketing)

Have you been granted your visa yet?

I'd like to do Business or Marketing, but can't decide which course at the moment. I'm scared of the visa application... lol... don't know why, so it would be great to hear what they required from you and if it was easy and straightforward?

Where will you be studying? 31st December will come around so fast! (plus flights are cheaper on that day!!) :)

Hi there SummerHQ,

I have already had a student visa and will be applying soon for a 2nd, I used an agent 1st time around and cost me over £1K, I am going to apply myself this time as i've been told its really straight forward!

I am going to Perth! I am 40! I am hoping for Joondaulp TAFE, my course kicks off 30th Jan, looking to fly early Jan depending on flight prices. My agent said you can apply 134 days before the course starts, maybe it that has changed to 90 days since I last applied!

Where in Perth are you looking to study? I am doing a childcare diploma.

Hi there

thanks for your message! That's so great to hear you've already done your student visa and are doing another! I know Joondaluo well I hope you enjoy your course!

thanks for sharing your experience.

I will send you a DM and we can chat some more! :)

Hi there SummerHQ,

I have already had a student visa and will be applying soon for a 2nd, I used an agent 1st time around and cost me over £1K, I am going to apply myself this time as i've been told its really straight forward!

I am going to Perth! I am 40! I am hoping for Joondaulp TAFE, my course kicks off 30th Jan, looking to fly early Jan depending on flight prices. My agent said you can apply 134 days before the course starts, maybe it that has changed to 90 days since I last applied!

Hi there SummerHQ,

I just wanted to check that you know that the diploma in childcare isn't enough to get PR at the end of your course.

You have assumed wrong. I have not alluded in anyway on this thread or even forum that I think studying this course will grant me a golden ticket to PR. That is not what I am looking to achieve.

The qualification you claim is not well recognised will actually help me advance my career to the next level in the UK or will count for credits towards a degree if I decide to study on in the UK or in Australia.

I have decided to study in Australia over the UK as whilst my husband and I have no children as I would like to see a little more of the world than the doorstep I grew up on and after all Melbourne didn't just win the most liveable city again for nothing. Yes its costing more than if I were to study in the UK (and the difference is not as much as you may think) but we have saved and paid the course fees and have covered one years rent so that we can enjoy the experience without fretting over money. I have gone in to this with my eyes wide open, so there should be to quote "no expensive shock" on the horizon as we have factored in as much as possible to allow me to focus on my studies whilst enjoying a different country. So whilst it may not be "Harvard" it will give me time out to refocus my career, a career which I have stumbled into but done surprisingly well at in a short time. I do not see it as giving a career up as I know I enjoy the role and industry but know that the company I work for is not where I want to be long term. We are not burning any bridges as we both own a house each which are being successfully rented at the moment so are not selling up and throwing all of our eggs in one basket. Some may see this as an "expensive career break" and I'm sure some will jump and pick holes in this but so what it is right for us at the moment and if we want to "throw money away" then that's our choice but rest assured its not chasing a dream you rightly point out is a near impossible task of converting a student visa to PR.

Thank you for all the helpful comments on this post and on other threads they are really appreciated but just had to clear this one up so that if I post again I don't get the "rolled eyes" and "stupid student girl chasing the dream comments" as that's not what I'm doing.

Edited by TheVixenator
typo

You have assumed wrong. I have not alluded in anyway on this thread or even forum that I think studying this course will grant me a golden ticket to PR. That is not what I am looking to achieve.

The qualification you claim is not well recognised will actually help me advance my career to the next level in the UK or will count for credits towards a degree if I decide to study on in the UK or in Australia.

I have decided to study in Australia over the UK as whilst my husband and I have no children as I would like to see a little more of the world than the doorstep I grew up on and after all Melbourne didn't just win the most liveable city again for nothing. Yes its costing more than if I were to study in the UK (and the difference is not as much as you may think) but we have saved and paid the course fees and have covered one years rent so that we can enjoy the experience without fretting over money. I have gone in to this with my eyes wide open, so there should be to quote "no expensive shock" on the horizon as we have factored in as much as possible to allow me to focus on my studies whilst enjoying a different country. So whilst it may not be "Harvard" it will give me time out to refocus my career, a career which I have stumbled into but done surprisingly well at in a short time. I do not see it as giving a career up as I know I enjoy the role and industry but know that the company I work for is not where I want to be long term. We are not burning any bridges as we both own a house each which are being successfully rented at the moment so are not selling up and throwing all of our eggs in one basket. Some may see this as an "expensive career break" and I'm sure some will jump and pick holes in this but so what it is right for us at the moment and if we want to "throw money away" then that's our choice but rest assured its not chasing a dream you rightly point out is a near impossible task of converting a student visa to PR.

Thank you for all the helpful comments on this post and on other threads they are really appreciated but just had to clear this one up so that if I post again I don't get the "rolled eyes" and "stupid student girl chasing the dream comments" as that's not what I'm doing.

Thank you SO much for writing this! I'd wanted to say the exact same thing to those negative speculations on here! Like you, this is very similar to my situation, and your reasons for going into this are the same as mine. :hug: I wish people wouldn't speculate without knowing the WHOLE story. I wish you all the very best and keep in touch x.