Teacher Accreditation advice, please?

TeacherTom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like all us experienced and helpful PIOers have tried to put forward the real situation, but the OP appears only to want to hear what he wants to hear. We have all worked with educators with the same attitude, haven't we, and I suppose we should just be grateful that the suitcase of "qualifications" that he has, do not allow him to assessed to teach in Australia. so..... moving right on.....

Interesting thread, and agree with all the comments provided to you Tom. These are based on peoples own experiences of the local job market. Yes your friends might have secured jobs and say everything is hunky dory but you have come across quite aggressive because you did not hear what you wanted to hear.

I am not a teacher but work in the field of IT. This field is also swamped, and still on the SOL. The job market in Australia is not as rosey as the SOL suggests. I spend some time on other expat sites and some local forums and locals are not overly happy about some of the positions that are meant to be indemand as locals are struggling to find work themselves. The job market here at the moment is tough and competitive, as many recruiters have told me in the rejection emails for some of the positions I have applied for. Linkedin, is handy as it shows you how many people have viewed jobs posted, and this can get up to the many hundreds. Talking to recruiters and HR people that I have discussed roles with, they can end up with 100 to 200+ people applying for the role.

Too many people that gain visas in the field of IT, come over wanting to live the dream and end up driving taxis or becoming couriers as they cannot find work. YMMV.

Guest Guest226914

I know many many primary teachers who have been doing relief work for years and years and they just can't get permanent jobs. It is unbelievably hard!! It isn't impossible of course but you need to come with eyes wide open and be prepared it could take a long time to find a perm position, if ever.

The situation is dire.

Hi Tom,

I have a 3 year B.Ed and a PGDip in Special Ed. that gave me the 'equivalent' from AITSL to then go ahead and apply for my 189 visa. Not sure if it was the fact that I had 4 years equivalent of study at that level or that it was a related (teaching) subject that did it.

I'd say go for it anyway. I applied for AITSL as in the grand scheme of things, it was not a lot of money. I did this before going for EoI/Visa as if I could not teach out here, I'd prob not have done the move so did not want to fork out anymore money then get turned down by AITSL.

Once, here, you still have to apply to each state to teach. Unsure why AITSL isn't enough but it was nerve-racking to get as far as 2 weeks before leaving and still not been approved to teach out here in QLD where we wanted to live. Anyway, they said yes too so all is good. Just need a job now

Good Luck

Mel

Superb news, E2306! Many thanks. I'll PM you when I've worked out how to do it....

As a side note, I've already been in touch with AITSL. Their response was legendary! They basically told me that they could offer no advice that would provide a positive outcome, or give a pre assessment service. I was asking if my qualifications were enough. Bah...

Hi Tom, this is just because they cannot give you an outcome without seeing all your evidence. I asked the same question.

Regarding wanting evidence of supervised teaching time that people have mentioned, I contacted the college and they sent me a cover letter stating the hours. This was enough :-)

Good Luck

Mel

Hi Tom,

I have a 3 year B.Ed and a PGDip in Special Ed. that gave me the 'equivalent' from AITSL to then go ahead and apply for my 189 visa. Not sure if it was the fact that I had 4 years equivalent of study at that level or that it was a related (teaching) subject that did it.

I'd say go for it anyway. I applied for AITSL as in the grand scheme of things, it was not a lot of money. I did this before going for EoI/Visa as if I could not teach out here, I'd prob not have done the move so did not want to fork out anymore money then get turned down by AITSL.

Once, here, you still have to apply to each state to teach. Unsure why AITSL isn't enough but it was nerve-racking to get as far as 2 weeks before leaving and still not been approved to teach out here in QLD where we wanted to live. Anyway, they said yes too so all is good. Just need a job now

Good Luck

Mel

Yes, that is another hurdle to jump. An amount of documentation that needs to be gathered up again. You get the nod from AITSL but you go through, what I call, 'AITSL 2' with the State you intend migrating to.

Even if they took the AITSL Certificate and, say, the Police Check / Employer Refs.

And it's more money.

B

Although it would be convenient for AITSL to be a state registration provider as well, every state has their own agenda in terms of teachers so I can see why it is separate. Interestingly WA ask if you went through AITSL and you are asked to provide evidence. Maybe this means they don't really look into it? The additional police check seemed strange to me but another hoop to jump through.

Unless things have have changed greatly, you can't be too far away Beaty!