Teacher Accreditation advice, please?

TeacherTom

Dear all.

Hoping to emigrate to Australia within the next two years with my family, but I'm worried my qualifications don't align with Australia's accreditation requirements.

I am a senior school leader in a primary school. My qualifications are:

• BA (Hons) in Primary Education (3 year)
  • QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
  • MA Religious Studies
  • NPML (National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership)

My main concern is that the Australian guidelines say 'equivalent to 4 years tertiary education'. Well, I have at least 6 years of tertiary education as well as two professional teaching qualifications; hoping someone could please clear this up for me?

If I do have to embark on another year of training, could anyone advise me what counts, or what type of extra qualification I need to undertake?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

Tom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First glance I would say that's not enough - your basic teacher training is your 3 year bachelor which wouldn't cut it. The usual way is a first degree then a postgraduate cert of education or a 4 year teaching degree and they do get rather anal about the construction. Your QTS is irrelevant if that is one of the teaching qualifications you referenced. I don't really know what you would do to get equivalence really - you can't do a PGCE because you already have QTS so maybe it would be a Masters in a speciality which has face to face practice.

Many thanks Quoll.

Yeah, QTS is a professional qualification. I'm utterly lost really; not sure what I'd need to study in order to get that extra year. Seems somewhat ridiculous, actually. The rationale seems to be that you can do a 3 year degree in basket weaving, or mermaid studies, or flower arranging and then a 1 year PGCE and that somehow qualifies you more than someone with an actual teaching degree! It's almost laughable! However, I guess it is what it is, and if that's what it is, then that's what it is!

Best,

Tom

Before you invest too much into this, just make sure you are fully aware of the employment prospects for primary teaching here. Whilst you have a lot of valuable experience you are also expensive. Many schools look to replace departing teachers with younger, cheaper teachers in order to balance budgets.

Hi Tom - I am familiar with Queensland teaching requirements and had a quick look at the QCT website. Here is a copy/paste of their requirements:

The qualifications required for teacher registration are successful completion of either -

(a) a four-year initial teacher education program including teacher education studies of at least one year (e.g. a Bachelor of Education, or a double Bachelor degree in Science and Teaching) or

(b) a one-year graduate initial teacher education program following a degree (e.g. a one-year Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary) after a three-year Bachelor degree) or

© another course of teacher education that the QCT is reasonably satisfied is the equivalent of (a) or (b). These are considered on a case-by-case basis.

As you have an MA plus a three year education program it meets those requirements, but to make sure I would contact the state you are interested in moving to before embarking on any more study.

Hope that helps :)

Before you invest too much into this, just make sure you are fully aware of the employment prospects for primary teaching here. Whilst you have a lot of valuable experience you are also expensive. Many schools look to replace departing teachers with younger, cheaper teachers in order to balance budgets.

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

It's the same here in the UK, to be fair. Budgets are tight and schools are almost always (almost!) looking to appoint NQT's.

Thanks again!

Hi Tom - I am familiar with Queensland teaching requirements and had a quick look at the QCT website. Here is a copy/paste of their requirements:

The qualifications required for teacher registration are successful completion of either -

(a) a four-year initial teacher education program including teacher education studies of at least one year (e.g. a Bachelor of Education, or a double Bachelor degree in Science and Teaching) or

(b) a one-year graduate initial teacher education program following a degree (e.g. a one-year Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary) after a three-year Bachelor degree) or

© another course of teacher education that the QCT is reasonably satisfied is the equivalent of (a) or (b). These are considered on a case-by-case basis.

As you have an MA plus a three year education program it meets those requirements, but to make sure I would contact the state you are interested in moving to before embarking on any more study.

Hope that helps :)

Hi!

Well, your reply certainly sparked a glimmer of hope. I clearly don't reach the requirements of A or B, so I'm guessing you mean that I meet requirement C?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

It's the same here in the UK, to be fair. Budgets are tight and schools are almost always (almost!) looking to appoint NQT's.

Thanks again!

I would research a bit more. There is a well known and gross over supply of primary teachers in Oz. It is churning out far more NQT's than vacancies and most find the only hope of jobs is to work in regional areas that people don't what to live in.

Thank you to all who've replied!

I've spoken to a lovely chap at the Queensland teaching body, and getting registered there isn't dependent upon getting registered with the AITSL. So, is there a way to teach in Australia but not with a permanent visa, with a view to completing whatever extra credits they see fit whilst working on a temporary basis to begin with in order to top up my 'training'? All so I can be granted a permanent visa from AITSL? I know that's a mouthful!

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by TeacherTom

Thank you to all who've replied!

I've spoken to a lovely chap at the Queensland teaching body, and getting registered there isn't dependent upon getting registered with the AITSL. So, is there a way to teach in Australia but not with a permanent visa, with a view to completing whatever extra credits they see fit whilst working on a temporary basis to begin with in order to top up my 'training'? All so I can be granted a permanent visa from AITSL? I know that's a mouthful!

Cheers,

Tom

If that is the case, then what visa would you seek to obtain? The permanent ones will require you to fulfill AITSL requirements.

If that is the case, then what visa would you seek to obtain? The permanent ones will require you to fulfill AITSL requirements.

That's what I wanted an answer to. I'm wondering if it would be possible to gain entry on a temp basis to begin with, obtain a job on a temp visa, then apply for a permanent one once I've fulfilled AITSLs requirements whilst in Australia?

That a no go?

Tom

If you want to study you would have to go on a student visa which would limit your capacity to work to 20 hours pw and be VERY expensive as an International Student but until you have the magic requirements for accreditation then, no, you cannot teach in Australia. They really are extraordinarily clear about that, if you want to be a teacher then you need the 4 years qualification. Far cheaper to do whatever top up might get you over the line in UK. As has been said, there is a surfeit of teachers in Australia so the chances of one unqualified one beating a shed load of qualified ones into any position is super unlikely.

Have you thought about a career change?

Have you thought about a career change?

I hope this is a joke? Because if not, I find the comment to be in fabulously bad taste. Particularly in light of the fact I trained for 5 years collectively to become a teacher, spent 3 years on an MA and bust a gut to become an Assistant Head within 6 years. If 4 years is what they need, then that's what they're gonna get. I'm more than happy to take another year to get to where I need to be, although at this stage utterly ignorant as to what exactly AITSL would find acceptable. Advice seems to be difficult to get at the best of times.

I asked the senior adviser at the Queensland body if there was a teacher surplus. He was quite specific in his answer. He claimed it simply wasn't the case that there was such a colossal surplus as I've been led to believe, and in fact there are of course rural and regional areas which are in utter, dire need of teachers.

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I think this thread has pretty much run its natural course.

Cheers.

Tom

Quoll knows what she is talking about, as do I. Be prepared to put in the hard yards once you get here.

However, until you can satisfy AITSL requirements (you need to research now if your qualifications are eligible) then you will not secure a visa to teach here.

Here is some reading for you.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-03/job-shortage-leaves-teachers-unable-to-complete-qualifications/7136722

http://www.theteachersareblowingtheirwhistles.com/therearenojobs.htm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/teacher-glut-hits-university-graduates-job-hopes/news-story/531d3103012f68aaaff1d167c517ed5c

The last link details how Queensland graduates are heading to the UK as they cannot get jobs here.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-teaching-graduates-heading-to-uk-after-failing-to-land-job-locally/news-story/c08a10173518592d3766e1320e657485

Edited by Sammy1

That's what I wanted an answer to. I'm wondering if it would be possible to gain entry on a temp basis to begin with, obtain a job on a temp visa, then apply for a permanent one once I've fulfilled AITSLs requirements whilst in Australia?

That a no go?

Tom

No, you will need to satisfy AITSL requirements before a visa is issued.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/schoolage-boom-combines-with-retirementbound-teachers-to-create-employment-demand/news-story/64847b026d32a436a8758f97ceb89ad7

A link showing that the profession will soon to be in huge demand again.

“When you get oversupplies of primary teachers, they tend to be highly localised. There might be too many primary school teachers in Brisbane but not in regional areas.

“I would be worried if people thought ‘I won’t be a teacher because there are too many’ — that’s simply not true.”

This is what bothers me. I've had huge levels of conflicting advice and have come to conclusion that someone on a forum telling me they 'know what they're talking about' doesn't constitute as sufficient evidence for me to make a decision on. No disrespect meant.

As for the 'droves' of Australian teachers heading to the UK, I find that to be a very broad term and have nothing but the utmost sympathy for them. I worry that an Australian teacher with a 3 year degree in basket weaving and a PGCE equivalent (making the magical 4 years) will suffer horribly under our education system. Where do they intend to teach? England has a very different system to Scotland and Wales, for example.

Based on extensive research and conversations I've had with friends who teach in Australia, the Australian system will ill prepare NQTs or even experienced Australian teachers for what they will face; horrendous levels of high stakes accountability, performance related pay (that's correct, a system that determines your standard of living and livelihood and pay based on how well a child does in a particular standardised test), a punitive and supremely judgemental inspectorate (OFSTED- if you've ever been through a recent ofsted inpection you'll know how horrendous this experience can be) and a department for education that seeks to literally reform the system at any given chance. Local authorities with their own improvement agenda and a primary assessment system that's designed purely to ensure children and teachers fail. Trust me, I know what I'M talking about, too. Why do you think over 55,000 teachers leave the profession every year in England alone? I'm not attempting to offend when I say this, it's simply the way it is. Average working hours for a primary teacher in England is over 53. I generally work around that, sometimes 60, sometimes less. 25% of current teachers across all ranges are considering leaving the profession within the year.

Having spent 7 years as a senior leader of education, an assistant head and a leading teacher across the authority, I've yet to encounter an Australian teacher. Where are they all? Interestingly, I did encounter an Australian woman a few weeks ago at a hostel on the west coast. She was backpacking...

http://au.justimmagine.com/immigration-blog/post/australia-facing-teacher-shortage/

Very interesting reading on this Blog regarding the mythical teacher surplus.

I'll get the extra year (whatever that means) and then see where we end up.

Thanks for the links, informative and interesting to read.

Tom

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/schoolage-boom-combines-with-retirementbound-teachers-to-create-employment-demand/news-story/64847b026d32a436a8758f97ceb89ad7

“When you get oversupplies of primary teachers, they tend to be highly localised. There might be too many primary school teachers in Brisbane but not in regional areas.

“I would be worried if people thought ‘I won’t be a teacher because there are too many’ — that’s simply not true.”

This is what bothers me. I've had huge levels of conflicting advice and have come to conclusion that someone on a forum telling me they 'know what they're talking about' doesn't constitute as sufficient evidence for me to make a decision on. No disrespect meant.

As for the 'droves' of Australian teachers heading to the UK, I find that to be a very broad term and have nothing but the utmost sympathy for them. I worry that an Australian teacher with a 3 year degree in basket weaving and a PGCE equivalent (making the magical 4 years) will suffer horribly under our education system. Where do they intend to teach? England has a very different system to Scotland and Wales, for example.

Based on extensive research and conversations I've had with friends who teach in Australia, the Australian system will ill prepare NQTs or even experienced Australian teachers for what they will face; horrendous levels of high stakes accountability, performance related pay (that's correct, a system that determines your standard of living and livelihood and pay based on how well a child does in a particular standardised test), a punitive and supremely judgemental inspectorate (OFSTED- if you've ever been through a recent ofsted inpection you'll know how horrendous this experience can be) and a department for education that seeks to literally reform the system at any given chance. Local authorities with their own improvement agenda and a primary assessment system that's designed purely to ensure children and teachers fail. Trust me, I know what I'M talking about, too. Why do you think over 55,000 teachers leave the profession every year in England alone? I'm not attempting to offend when I say this, it's simply the way it is. Average working hours for a primary teacher in England is over 53. I generally work around that, sometimes 60, sometimes less. 25% of current teachers across all ranges are considering leaving the profession within the year.

Having spent 7 years as a senior leader of education, an assistant head and a leading teacher across the authority, I've yet to encounter an Australian teacher. Where are they all? Interestingly, I did encounter an Australian woman a few weeks ago at a hostel on the west coast. She was backpacking...

http://au.justimmagine.com/immigration-blog/post/australia-facing-teacher-shortage/

Tom

We don't have three year basket weaving degrees here (perhaps that is just a UK thing). Most degrees here are four years, education or otherwise.

The Graduate Diploma of Education (equivalent to a PGCE) has been replaced with a mandatory two years Master of Teaching. This means that teaching grads who followed a different degree first will all have at least five to six years of university education.

You should also note, that states such as NSW and Queensland demand that a certain number of literacy and numeracy units have been studied in the education degree. The same applies to a different degree, if it does not contain required units, then it is rejected. We are far more stringent than the UK when it comes to this.

One thing I will say is that you are badly misinformed when you state there is a 'mythical teaching surplus' here. Come on, we live here, we teach, we lead, we know the stats. With all due respect, you most certainly do not. There is a huge surplus of primary teachers, especially in Queensland. It's quite funny that each year (over the last 8 years at least) the same old chestnut is pulled out again that 'soon' the profession will be in demand again. Let us hope that next year it may come true hey?

Good luck in your visa and job mission. I am sure that once you are here that you can begin to learn our system, get some relief work, maybe a temporary contract if lucky and then after a few years work your way up to a deputy role again. Queensland has a very structured process to secure permanency, it takes years. The private system is of course different.

However, what concerns you right now is to find out if you meet AITSL requirements, that is your next step. Good luck.

Edited by Sammy1

Tom

First, I would very much understand what "regional areas" are like. This isn't like living and working is a small town in the UK. The regional areas that most people don't want to live and work in are nothing like.

I spent end a lot of my career in Australia working in regional areas of small towns. In my last role, I was based in a small town where in my spare time I volunteered in a school. The school teaches 5 to 18 as most regional schools do. To say the teachers face big issues would be an understatement. About half of the adults in town have severe addiction prblems. Mainly ICE. As a result, lots of the kids would show up not fed - I don't just been breakfast, but they don't get a scrap that the school doesn't give. Usually filthy and the school would have to bath them, usually in rags and sometimes naked. The kids as a result have a huge range of issues.

This is is actually one of the better regional towns. There are far worse. Some of the aboriginal towns have many people living without sanitation, power or running water.

As for the supply / oversupply of teachers, I was about to become a teacher in Oz before I left. Got as far as an offer from a school. Enrolment for teacher training has gone through the roof. One of the last stats I looked at was that WA will on its own produce more primary teachers than the entire need for all of Australia. Hence why Teach for Australia (the equivalent of Teach First) won't train primary under any circumstances.

First, I would very much understand what "regional areas" are like. This isn't like living and working is a small town in the UK. The regional areas that most people don't want to live and work in are nothing like.

I spent end a lot of my career in Australia working in regional areas of small towns. In my last role, I was based in a small town where in my spare time I volunteered in a school. The school teaches 5 to 18 as most regional schools do. To say the teachers face big issues would be an understatement. About half of the adults in town have severe addiction prblems. Mainly ICE. As a result, lots of the kids would show up not fed - I don't just been breakfast, but they don't get a scrap that the school doesn't give. Usually filthy and the school would have to bath them, usually in rags and sometimes naked. The kids as a result have a huge range of issues.

This is is actually one of the better regional towns. There are far worse. Some of the aboriginal towns have many people living without sanitation, power or running water.

As for the supply / oversupply of teachers, I was about to become a teacher in Oz before I left. Got as far as an offer from a school. Enrolment for teacher training has gone through the roof. One of the last stats I looked at was that WA will on its own produce more primary teachers than the entire need for all of Australia. Hence why Teach for Australia (the equivalent of Teach First) won't train primary under any circumstances.

Hugely helpful, many thanks for this VERYSTORMY. Found this really valuable.

In fairness, I've found the rural schools across England to be the more leafy and better off, although results wise there seems to be an issue in coastal and rural regions here. Schools here (as you probably know) are judged on results and very little else- it doesn't matter that most of the kids can't read or come from single parent families, they are still expected to achieve national standard and if they don't, its YOUR fault. To live in the country here, you have to have cash.

Most of our social deprivation occurs in the old mining towns, such as where I teach. Clothing children (although not naked children!) is something that happens in my school from time to time, as we have very high social deprivation, huge unemployment and a range of other social issues.

Thanks again, really interesting to read about your experience.

Very good point. I have lived remote, regional and city in Australia. People overseas (UK) have absolutely no comprehension of what that reality is of remote,rural and regional, as it is completely unlike anything or anywhere in the UK.

Nice to see you reiterate the over supply of primary teachers here too.

They've been saying for years that there will "be a shortage of teachers when the current mob retire" - certainly for most of my working life but they've been churning out teachers by the ton for decades - it's one of the easiest courses to get on with one of the lowest year 12 scores required for any university degree. Kids who can't get jobs then go on to other careers but in times of recession and high unemployment, a lot of them try to return to teaching because it's more of a recession proof occupation.

No, I wasn't being fatuous when I suggested a career change - the older you are and the more experienced you are the harder it will be to crack into the government system - partly because Australia is essentially quite ageist and partly because schools like to get more bang for their buck when they are managing the purse strings so will opt for new graduates on short term contracts so they can keep costs down. If you don't mind living and working in Outer Boondocks which, as the others have said, are likely to be places of deprivation the like of which you will never have seen in UK. Such places are about as far removed from a new migrant's view of what Australia is as chalk is to cheese!

Just also bear in mind when considering regional areas that you need to consider the educational opportunities available for your own children.

Easily the best piece of advice I've had so far on this forum.

Having waded through the threats of doom and the fear peddling, the only thing that concerns me about rural or regional living is the prospects for my own children. The whole idea of moving to Australia is to improve our standard of living and to increase opportunities for the kids; certainly can't do either of those things if we're stuck out in the back of beyond!

People overseas (UK) have absolutely no comprehension of what that reality is of remote,rural and regional, as it is completely unlike anything or anywhere in the UK

I'm just not sure if you're aware how dogmatic this statement is. It's flawed in the extreme due to the blatant nature of the generalisation it contains. So no one from the UK has any concept of what the reality is of remote, rural and regional? How about you talk to the teacher who works on the Isle of Muck, I'm sure they could open your eyes a little to the realities of rural living, too.

I'm here for advice, research and evidence. In order to make a decision like this one, I need hard facts, statistics and evidence and I need to question anecdotal hearsay.

Here, for example, we find an academic piece with hard data that clearly shows the teacher 'surplus' in Australia is considerably more complicated than I've been led to believe:

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=16801

Many thanks!

Edited by TeacherTom

You asked for advice TeacherTom, and those posters most qualified to give that to you because of their professional roles in the education system in Australia, have done so. Whether you choose to accept that advice in the spirit it is given, is of course up to you.

Australia is a large country as you are aware, and the issues of over supply of teachers in each state differs greatly. It differs from the cities to the country in each state too. I can only speak for Western Australia as a recently retired education administrator involved in teacher recruitment statewide for the last 10 years of my career. If you are looking to teach in Perth, or one of the larger regional towns/cities in WA, you will find there is a huge over-supply of teachers. The exception to this is Secondary Maths and Science teachers as these are always required. However if you look at remote towns, there will always be a need for teachers right across the board. Have a google of a few towns: Port Hedland, Mt Magnet, Roebourne, Newman, Mullewa, to name a few, and you will see exactly why no-one wants to live and teach there.

However until your qualifications are acceptable to AITSL, there will be no magic visa coming your way I am afraid. So when you are looking for the course that will fill that gap of one year's university education, it will have to be a course that is directly related to primary teaching.

I appreciate that the advice you are being given is not what you want to hear, but it is what it is and you have to accept it as such. Just because you don't want to hear how the situation is, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I wish you luck with your endeavours to teach in Australia, and would suggest that a realignment of your attitude towards those who are trying to help you, wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by Rossmoyne