What is worth stocking up on in UK before leaving?

huske

Would have loved to have brought my duck down quilt but was told it wouldn't get thru customs.

they don't have a tog system here, so putting two together is really the best you can do.

and beware....we went from a double bed in the UK to a king size here. Its a great bed but v expensive to buy bedding for

the better quality quilts you can get at places like david jones & myer have thermal ratings.

I miss Ariel washing powder. Can get it at the local English shop but it costs $99 for a 80 wash box. I would bring loads of it.

Mostly you can get everything you need. It's more the odd British food item I miss.

Once you find your feet you will discover most of the shops you will need to get similar items.

I brought a few small items (specific brand shampoo, some make up items etc) but even after just over a year, I've found local equivalents or order online from UK or Asia for non-food stuff.

I found some McVities chocolate digestives in Woolies the other day so was very happy about that!

Also brought over a new bedding set from M&S that I purchased with a gift voucher. Doesn't fit perfectly (is a little too big) but really not the end of the world all things considered ;)

Edited by vickyplum

While you can buy marmite it's only in tiny little jars so it works out to be very expensive. Whenever we have friends or relatives visit we get them to bring a couple of the really big jars with them.

@Ken you have reminded me that my silly tiny jar of Marmite has run out! Unlike the hulking jar of Vegemite that is still going strong...

Bisto gravy granules! You can only get the powder in the shops and tastes horrible.

and Paint (not that you'll be able to ship it) but it seems to be over 3x the price for comparable amounts/brands

not the bisto gravy granules - you get that in every Coles!

seems i have been horribly mislead, i shall have words with the wife this very evening!

Yup, just about every single Coles here in our city seems to sell them. Beef or chicken granules. There is an Indian, Dutch and UK foods section, only small but its there in stores. Some weird things I'd never buy in the UK are on the shelf. Tins of mushy peas, Colmans mustard, some form of Jaffa cake (not The jaffa cakes though), lots of UK choc bars, Irn Bru and Club biscuits to name but a few. I like the Dutch shelf and am happy I can buy hagelslag here :cute:

You can also get british recipe kit kats in woolies. Miss mcvities ginger snaps..and proper Jaffa cakes.. Kids calpol etc honestly you miss some stuff and choke at the price of some stuff but you just accept it and get on with it. If you have kids and need school shoes maybe worth buying there... Clarks shoes here $$$ as some say bring bedding if bringing own beds... Good luck xx

Yup, just about every single Coles here in our city seems to sell them. Beef or chicken granules. There is an Indian, Dutch and UK foods section, only small but its there in stores. Some weird things I'd never buy in the UK are on the shelf. Tins of mushy peas, Colmans mustard, some form of Jaffa cake (not The jaffa cakes though), lots of UK choc bars, Irn Bru and Club biscuits to name but a few. I like the Dutch shelf and am happy I can buy hagelslag here :cute:

We're probably going way off topic with all this mention of food products the one thing I was delighted to find you can get here is Colman's Mint Sauce. Some of the Australian mint sauce actually has less than 1% mint in it (and none seem to have more than about 3%) - clearly Australian Consumer Protection is extremely week to allow such products to use the word mint in their names. Mint is of course very light. You can make a decent mint sauce with as little as 10% mint (Colman's is only 25% but is still very thick) but the Australian products labelled "Thick Mint Sauce" are just ridiculous.

Would have loved to have brought my duck down quilt but was told it wouldn't get thru customs.

they don't have a tog system here, so putting two together is really the best you can do.

and beware....we went from a double bed in the UK to a king size here. Its a great bed but v expensive to buy bedding for

I brought mine, 15.5 tog fogarty duck down duvet. Still going strong 11 years down the line. My packers were very inventive when it came to the labelling and the inventory.

For a while we struggled to find Branston Pickle or Lime Pickle but have found even those now, so there's really nothing much that we can't get.

We initially invested in a Kindle as books are more expensive and we kept our UK DVD player and got DVDs sent out by Amazon, but as we watch most films online through FoxTel even that's no longer an issue.

If you're a fan of Church's English shoes I'd get an extra pair or two but otherwise everything's here.

Aahh Churchs shors....got a couple of pairs of Churchs graftons ....a couple pairs of Grensons ...and a pair of Crockett and jones.....last a lifetime .