What is worth stocking up on in UK before leaving?

huske

Hi all,

is there anything you have found to be considerably more expensive in Australia vs UK that would be worth stocking up on before we send off our container?

Anything kids, cooking, sports, outdoor, home ,clothes etc related...

Excited to see your answers :)

Hi all,

is there anything you have found to be considerably more expensive in Australia vs UK that would be worth stocking up on before we send off our container?

Anything kids, cooking, sports, outdoor, home ,clothes etc related...

Excited to see your answers :)

Most things are pretty comparable. If you buy clothes for your kids from Asda and Sainburys then you get the equivalent from Kmart and Big W. Same with bedding and kitchen equipment. If you are a Debenhams or John Lewis shopper then there is David Jones and Myer.

We stocked up on a few things before we came over but in fact it was pretty pointless use of container space. Wish we had brought our books over instead - the second hand book market is a bit lacking!

You can easily get things shipped from Next and M & S with little or no cost for shipping. We still buy our cds from Amazon UK as cheaper than Australia, even with shipping.

If you're bringing your beds bring your mattresses and bed linen because they are slightly different sizes in Australia.

Assuming you've got PR and you're going to be in Australia for the rest of your life, the amount of stuff you can stock up on isn't going to make much difference in the long run!

For a while we struggled to find Branston Pickle or Lime Pickle but have found even those now, so there's really nothing much that we can't get.

We initially invested in a Kindle as books are more expensive and we kept our UK DVD player and got DVDs sent out by Amazon, but as we watch most films online through FoxTel even that's no longer an issue.

If you're a fan of Church's English shoes I'd get an extra pair or two but otherwise everything's here.

You can get pretty much everything you need here. Agree with Marisa, if you are making a long term move, it really isn't going to make much difference at all in the long run. You'll have a few months of toiletries or some such that you can buy here anyways.

John Lewis, M&S, Next, Debenhams all deliver to Aus. Some for free if ordering over $30 or $50 worth of stuff. I still use it for kids clothes but I just order online as and when, no need to stock pile.

As has been said, bed linen if you are bringing your beds. Mainly the fitted sheets but Aus ones tend to be an ok fit, perhaps a bit looser is all. Kids shoes for school can be pricey also and Clarks Aus isn't anything like Clarks UK but you can still buy sneakers and other shoes. Most kids at state schools around here wear sneakers/trainers or some form of school shoe but most its a trainer type shoe in any colour.

Good quality bath towels are stupid expensive here so if you need new ones, get some decent ones before you leave IMHO. Outside of towels, there is nothing I'd buy to ship over if I was doing it again.

You can buy a multi region DVD player if need be (may well be your one already is).

You can buy marmite, salad cream, mayo, Branston pickle and loads more UK type foods here too.

I used to get things brought over but over the last few years its not really worth the trouble there is not that much difference in the price. The only thing I still get is bottles of Childrens Nurofen which can be around $18-23 a bottle depending where you buy and still really cheap in Asda so maybe a few bottles of that to keep you going.

Kippers- can't get good ones here. Might be a bit on the nose by the time you get here though. Don't bother with condoms we need to populate the place.

You are becoming overcrowded in oz in the cities and everyone is moaning about the immigration I have heard.

Reclining sun loungers - like this one from Argos - trust me, you can't get them here anywhere near as nice (and people look at you as if you are mad if you ask - it's just not the done thing to relax in the sun here! But they are great for undercover patios like ours.. I wish I'd filled a container with some

lounger.jpg

lounger.jpg

You can buy marmite, salad cream, mayo, Branston pickle and loads more UK type foods here too.

While you can buy marmite it's only in tiny little jars so it works out to be very expensive. Whenever we have friends or relatives visit we get them to bring a couple of the really big jars with them.

Nothing. You can get everything here. You might have to choose a different brand, but most things have equivalents. People say beds aren't the same, but we found a new mattress and bedding to suit our UK bed fame easily. i think we chose one size down.

LED light bulbs. Oz still seems hooked on low energy ones. If you have yet to convert your lamps to LED, go get them at Poundland or somewhere. And if I'd had the measurements for this house I would have bought up all the random cheap double glazed windows on eBay that I could find!!

Edited by Wan2go

I would say really thick quilts for the beds as i struggle to find one here ended up putting two togeather but still not as thick and warm cold here in perth in the winter! Good luck with the move 

Would have loved to have brought my duck down quilt but was told it wouldn't get thru customs.

they don't have a tog system here, so putting two together is really the best you can do.

and beware....we went from a double bed in the UK to a king size here. Its a great bed but v expensive to buy bedding for

Reclining sun loungers - like this one from Argos - trust me, you can't get them here anywhere near as nice (and people look at you as if you are mad if you ask - it's just not the done thing to relax in the sun here! But they are great for undercover patios like ours.. I wish I'd filled a container with some

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34037[/ATTACH]

Mega agree, bring as much outdoor furniture as you can.

we brought a v cheap B&M outdoor lounge set. After a couple of years outdoors, not undercover in the UK, plus 4 years out in the full sun in Oz, it still looks the same, nothing special, but just the same as when we bought it.

18 months ago we bought a "specially made for Oz weather conditions " outdoor lounge set. Its always been under the roofed alfresco area, gets caught only when the sun is low, or going down, never full on heat.

Its falling to bits, needs replacing!!

Whenever I've been back to the UK and I go somewhere like a Dobbies garden centre and see the beautiful outdoor furniture, like nothing I can get here, I just want to get a container and bring a load back.

Would have loved to have brought my duck down quilt but was told it wouldn't get thru customs.

they don't have a tog system here, so putting two together is really the best you can do.

and beware....we went from a double bed in the UK to a king size here. Its a great bed but v expensive to buy bedding for

You could have brought the quilt. No problem with treated feathers in quilts or cushions. We brought all ours.