You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

richev

Moving to Oz in 4 weeks, mattress is old, buy here or there?

We have a UK Super King size bed, the mattress of which needs replacing in the next year (but the bed frame we really like, so want to keep).

Sadly it seems that the nearest Australian mattress size (King) is 3cm longer and wider than our UK Super King!

We're shipping a 20 foot container of stuff, so should we just buy a new mattress here and ship it too, or can you get UK-sized mattresses anywhere in Australia?

Mattress sizes are different here, I would bring it, settle in and then look at changing once established. Mattresses are also very expensive here plus seem to be hard by comparison, a medium we purchased here is pretty hard despite having a topper and being an international brand.

S

Thames Migration appointed Jun 12 and 189 Visa granted Jan 13:wink:. Landed Sep 14 and roots being quickly established. Brisbane, what an amazing place with incredible opportunity.

If you want to buy one to bring go for it. Unpack and rewrap it for transporting.

Mattresses here are blooming expensive and if you intend to keep the frame why not have a mattress you know fits.

Edited by Guest
typo

No you won't be able to buy a mattress to fit that bed in Australia, so you'll need to buy one in the UK and ship it.

The only thing I'd say is, what about the future? What will you do when the mattress needs replacing?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

We purchased a new mattress last weekend in fact. As others have related they are expensive here, even with an alleged sale price. Beds being European, it was impossible to get the exact size. Hence in terms of fit and not forgetting quality, I'd imagine UK like Europe, would offer a better deal.

Also make sure you bring a good supply of sheets, because the Australian sheets are a slightly different size too.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Also make sure you bring a good supply of sheets, because the Australian sheets are a slightly different size too.

Australian sheets fit quite nicely on UK beds as they are slightly bigger - we have Australian queen size sheets on our UK king size bed and it works really nicely. UK sheets will also go on Australian beds but don't fit quite as well.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

I wouldn't be bringing beds at all to be honest- too big. Just get one in the sales over here

Check out IKEA because I think they do European sized mattresses, I'm not 100% and a quick look online will soon tell you.

IELTS sat 30/6/12 L8.5,R9,W8.5,S8.5 Ave 8.5, TRA sent 20/06/13, 1st stage assessment passed 15/07/13, 2nd stage 22/07/12 in Glasgow. TRA passed 29/07/13. EOI submitted 29/07/13, SS received 5/08/13, ITA received 08/08/13, 190 Visa applied for 14/08/13, Medicals 23/08/13, PCC uploaded 11/9/13, CO 26/9, VISA GRANTED 17/10/2013