Studying Plumbing in Melbourne

KarinC

Ahh really? Thanks. I was trying to find this information but couldn't find it anywhere. I think we will re-think our plan. Our plan B is for my husband to re-train here in something he wants to do and should it lead to an opportunity at a later date in Australia then great. He's thinking of becoming an arborist. Not pinning hopes that it will lead to anything given age but he needs to re-train as something else as the job he's doing now is bringing us down!

If current job is bringing him down then retraining at this stage of his working life seems like a very sensible thing to do. However it is most unlikely that anything he chooses will lead to a path to Australia. It is just too late, by time training is completed he will be pushing 45 and at this point passing a points test is likely to be impossible. People in their 40s typically need years of work experience to make up the points test and people over 45 usually need a Phd level of education plus lots of work experience.

Knock it on the head. Live the life you have. There are lots of happy children living a good life in Australia of course ... just as there are in the UK.

Another thing to consider. Visa rules change fairly often. I was 20 hours off being able to apply for my skills assessment for PR when they added another year being needed on. Then three months later they took my job off the list of jobs you could get a skilled independent visa for. Sponsorship was my only route. Luckily I got in there just before more changes which now would make it just about impossible.

Yes fully aware of that risk. Looks like luck was really on your side, pleased it worked out for you. We won't be taking the study route option in Australia. My husband will definitely re-train here and we'll just take things from there. Appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks for all your honesty.